el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
On a wild hair, I didn't really feel like getting beat up yesterday in my own boat (although it got pretty nice in the pm) so I cashed in a gift cert and hopped on the Liberty for a 3/4 day. Yeah we got tuna and some yellows, but that's not the point of this post. The Liberty deserves some special recognition IMO. That boat is in a class of it's own.
I've got to hand it to Booger on the San Diego first as he started it by dramatically upping the service standard of our local fleet. And the San Diego is, of course, still a great choice. The Liberty takes it one step further even. Gotta love what competition has done in terms of giving us a better party boat experience.
After experiencing it myself I can say with confidence, the Liberty is hands down the most well-done boat in the local fleet. It's really nice! New, and spotless clean. It has it all. RSW (crew promptly bled and spiked all fish), huge bait capacity, an immaculate galley and the nicest heads (with showers) I've ever seen on a sport boat. Also, bunks! Can't tell you how great it felt to wake up from a nice nap to see us tucking inside the point. Sarah in the galley had real food and way more options than I've ever seen. Tri tip sando's, Ceasar salad, Wagu beef burger option, wow! This is the way a boat should look and be run when I am spending my heard earned money. Aside from all that, Taro is the shit. I've never seen a Capt slide into a breezer with such precision. Never once did the fish sink out. His every move was calculated, he took his time, studied the situation and set up just right, every time. He called out line, hook, bait and jig recommendations on the PA regularly that were spot on. You can also tell he genuinely loves what he does. He's upbeat and positive, which I find hugely refreshing for a skipper. Nicest boat in the fleet and a killer crew. That operation is a winner.
Get on that boat. They deserve more passengers.

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
Agreeing! Been saying that since last season. Beat me to it, Nate! Booger's boat has been good to me over the years but Taro's long range experience on his remodeled boat is a huge advantage. Great crew too. I'll fish both boats this season and hopefully take a group of anglers on one of my annual charity charters for under-privileged anglers, singe parents and retired veterans. Either boat you ride you'll be in good hands, but banking that the Liberty is top 3/4 day boat in 2017 for San Diego fleet...

Upvote 0

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Yep, that's the way I feel Mike! As one who grew up working on these types of boats, I never understood why paying customers had to put up with shitty boats in varying states of disrepair, fish baking in the sun, grumpy skippers shouting at crew and passengers alike, dirtbag crew smoking and cussing in your face, nasty heads, dirty galleys with dirty cooks and greasy food. We just accepted this low standard as the norm as there wasn't any other choice outside of the LR fleet. I'm so glad to see that mold being broken. If you are gonna charge me $150 for a ride, I do expect some basic standard of care. I see this as a positive trend for the industry and hope its boats like this that will continue to win more business and drive the rest of the marketplace into a better place.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I see a discounted trip on the horizon...

Upvote 0

Tom Jr.

Retired Crane Operator Local 12
Aug 1, 2009
Riverside,Ca.
Name
Tom Jr.
Boat
yes
On a wild hair, I didn't really feel like getting beat up yesterday in my own boat (although it got pretty nice in the pm) so I cashed in a gift cert and hopped on the Liberty for a 3/4 day. Yeah we got tuna and some yellows, but that's not the point of this post. The Liberty deserves some special recognition IMO. That boat is in a class of it's own.
I've got to hand it to Booger on the San Diego first as he started it by dramatically upping the service standard of our local fleet. And the San Diego is, of course, still a great choice. The Liberty takes it one step further even. Gotta love what competition has done in terms of giving us a better party boat experience.
After experiencing it myself I can say with confidence, the Liberty is hands down the most well-done boat in the local fleet. It's really nice! New, and spotless clean. It has it all. RSW (crew promptly bled and spiked all fish), huge bait capacity, an immaculate galley and the nicest heads (with showers) I've ever seen on a sport boat. Also, bunks! Can't tell you how great it felt to wake up from a nice nap to see us tucking inside the point. Sarah in the galley had real food and way more options than I've ever seen. Tri tip sando's, Ceasar salad, Wagu beef burger option, wow! This is the way a boat should look and be run when I am spending my heard earned money. Aside from all that, Taro is the shit. I've never seen a Capt slide into a breezer with such precision. Never once did the fish sink out. His every move was calculated, he took his time, studied the situation and set up just right, every time. He called out line, hook, bait and jig recommendations on the PA regularly that were spot on. You can also tell he genuinely loves what he does. He's upbeat and positive, which I find hugely refreshing for a skipper. Nicest boat in the fleet and a killer crew. That operation is a winner.
Wow sounds like they really fixed up that boat I used to fish it out of long beach with a limited load of 28 on over night trips it worked but the standards weren't close to the San Diego I will have to go on it again it sounds like I'm going to like it.

Tom Jr.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Yep, that's the way I feel Mike! As one who grew up working on these types of boats, I never understood why paying customers had to put up with shitty boats in varying states of disrepair, fish baking in the sun, grumpy skippers shouting at crew and passengers alike, dirtbag crew smoking and cussing in your face, nasty heads, dirty galleys with dirty cooks and greasy food. We just accepted this low standard as the norm as there wasn't any other choice outside of the LR fleet. I'm so glad to see that mold being broken. If you are gonna charge me $150 for a ride, I do expect some basic standard of care. I see this as a positive trend for the industry and hope its boats like this that will continue to win more business and drive the rest of the marketplace into a better place.

I think we need to keep in mind that San Diego boats charge almost twice the amount of money as boats up north.

Long Beach boats charge $70 for a trip of the same length. You get what you pay for, and it's a different market that they're going after.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Coming from you, Nate.......that is one helluva endorsement. It's hard for me to even think about doing a trip like that, when I have one in the driveway. (in the slip in a couple of weeks).
I guess I need to take ride on the Liberty.

Reactions: Johnny J
Upvote 0

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
May 10, 2008
Idyllwild, CA USA
www.bluepacifictackle.com
Name
John
Boat
not mine
Coming from you, Nate.......that is one helluva endorsement. It's hard for me to even think about doing a trip like that, when I have one in the driveway. (in the slip in a couple of weeks).

I am in too. Unless you are going to make tri samaches on your rig.

Upvote 0

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
I hear ya. My new ride is in the slip now, but there are times when big boat fishing has an edge.

Reactions: Ryan_J
Upvote 0