Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
I picked the best year of fishing all time to have a series of life calamities putting me on the sidelines, but managed to have a half day free with the boy after summer sailing camp to take him out and try to get a 'cuda (after his favorite Heart song). Grabbed a great half scoop of perfectly small 3" sardines from MB and went straight to Sunset Cliffs where a buddy and I found nice conditions on a short evening trip last Saturday. This day was much different - cold, green water with little current heading straight out. Tried one spot but knew quickly it wasn't gonna work, so I decided to try a little further south before bailing for LJ. Surprisingly found much better (albeit not great) conditions south of the Naz, where the current flipped around and was heading in, with cleaner water. Threw some chum on a drift and got one on the swimbait so I started helping my son pothole stalks with a live bait. We started getting consistent bites and went 4/4 despite a huge knothead trying to grab one, and several getting into the kelp against the weak resistance from a wet noodle Ugly Stik and 10# test. Ended up donating my anchor to the kelp with a short rent-back period that ultimately was worth it with a good snap of several more bass and a few target cuda. Mostly shorts all the way around but that doesn't matter to a 5 year old. He also got his first true cast-to-catch fish (all his fish the last 3 years have been hooked by Dad or Mr. Rod Holder). He didn't last long after a big morning and big week but we left 'em biting. Looks like the kelp is starting to rebound after the blow. We found 68 deg and almost cleanish blue/green amidst some dirty green 66 with lots of surf grass. 10# mono on a Christmas Wal-mart special no-name spinner on a 5' Ugly Stik with a 17# fluoro bite leader and a lite-wire circle hook did most of the damage. Smallest bass of the day came for me on the jig. Go figure.

Beats chasing stupid bluefin any day!

IMG_9221.jpg

IMG_9226.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

IMG_9259.jpg

IMG_9213.jpg

IMG_9268.jpg

IMG_9274.jpg

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
That's some good size to those slim sticks, thanks for report. The cudas are at Coronado too, we got some nice ones there last weekend

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Awesome report/pics. The kid looks STOKED and Nice Fish! Time spent with son=Priceless!
    Some back to school "fish swag" stories coming up! LOL

Upvote 0