Plenty Mahi Action - Aug. 4, '12

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by MikeO, Aug 5, 2012.

1. MikeO

MikeO Sitting at A-Bay

Name:
    MikeO
    Boat:
    27 World Cat, True Lies
    Aloha,

Left Honokohau at 5:30 with friends Bob S and Don B on board. Trolled the ono lane north up to the grounds with no bites. Trolled around the grounds for a short time and decided to go up to OT FAD. To our surprise, it appeared we were the first boat to arrive at the FAD and we had a double strike of Mahi on the first pass. One fish stuck and one came off. We made a few more passes and caught a few more on lures. Once the lure bite shutdown I went through the contents of my small bait cooler (ballys, opelu, squid, aku, oi oi) to catch the rest. A shark finally showed up and took our last few baits and shutdown the bite. We wound up with 10 mahi. No action trolling home despite lots of birds and bait on the grounds in the afternoon.

I got a pretty good video of the action. It includes some fun underwater footage that we got due to a tangle in the leg. There are good gaff shots and some REALLY UGLY gaff shots in here, but I figure if you have never had a mahi make you look a fool at the boat then you have not gaffed many mahi :-).

[ame]http://youtu.be/hzfx0KA5HLg[/ame]

2. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Mike and crew, nice load of mahis. Always enjoy the videos and this was no exception. I haven't gaffed many mahimahis but they almost always make me look like a fool, good thing I am usually fishing alone.

3. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Mike, Bob and Don,
    That is a very nice day of catching; flat calm and baiting mahis. We don't get to see that too often. Pretty cool mahi wrestling (while in the water) also, thanks for the vid.

Pat