Well-Known "Member"
Apr 17, 2006
san diego
Name
Tommy
Boat
20 foot bayrunner
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=Title align=left width="60%">First Tuna Fishery Wins Sustainability Eco-Label</TD><TD class=Date width="40%">United States, December 8, 07</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>
A tuna fishery operating in the North and <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">South Pacific Ocean</st1:place> is to be awarded the Marine Stewardship Council’s coveted eco-label for sustainable fishing.

The American Albacore Fishing Association (AAFA)[1] tuna fishery, passed its full assessment this week when independent certifier, Moody Marine[2] awarded AAFA its certificate. Products from the AAFA tuna fishery may now carry the Marine Stewardship Council eco-label (subject to a Chain of Custody audit) which will distinguish it as a certified sustainable and well-managed fishery. This is the first tuna fishery in the world to receive the accolade.

The AAFA tuna fishery is a small, family-run fishery operating out of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">San Diego</st1:place></st1:City>. The fish are caught using the poll & line techniques (and the troll and line techniques in the south Pacific) and its members pride themselves on the care they take to protect the marine environment. Skipper Jack “Bandini” Webster explains: “Tuna fishermen seem to get a bad rap in a worldwide way. Most of the fishermen who are left love the ocean: you’ve got to love it because it’s real hard work. Being certified sustainable is important to us. Fishermen who are doing the right thing should prove that they are and talk about it. That’s what this certificate is all about.”

There are 21 boats in the association catching around 3,000 - 4,000 tons of albacore tuna per year.

Rupert Howes, Chief Executive of the MSC says: “This really is a milestone event and one that demonstrates the applicability of the MSC program to migratory species. The dwindling stocks of many tuna species are of increasing concern for consumers. The certification of the AAFA tuna fishery is a huge achievement for the fishermen. Because of the way they fish, the AAFA fishery has virtually no by-catch. By demonstrating their sustainable practices through MSC certification, AAFA is making it possible for consumers to make the best environmental choice in tuna.”

WWF <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> has sponsored the fishery’s assessment. Meredith Lopuch, Director - Community Fisheries Program, says: “If we want our grandchildren to have tuna on their dinner plates and in the sea, sustainable tuna fishing practices must be adopted. Certification of the first sustainable tuna fishery shows it can be done and if others change to improve their practices and follow suit, there’s a future for tuna and tuna fisheries.”

NIce job to Jack and the rest of the fleet.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Professor

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
Congratulations to all the owners and skippers in the AAFA. Just hope that the tuna buying public will back it.

Bandini Webster, what an unusual middle name. I must remember to ask Jack about that.

Mono Malo

Bad Monkey
Mar 10, 2007
La Mesa
Name
Michael
Boat
leaf in the gutter
Way to go AAFA! Doin things the right way.

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs

OFN

COB
Mar 18, 2007
Leona Valley
Name
Nat
Boat
Striper 2150, Indie
Good Job to the AAFA. Hopefully others will get on board with this fine example.

fisherbaby

Oct 25, 2007
San Diego
Name
Andy
Boat
THANK YOU AAFA, me being a teenager, I always here this shit about the fish being gone by 2050, and with the way the commerical fishers are killing fish faster than they can reproduce cuz of money is fucked up (ie bluefin etc.). I hope that other commerical fishermen follow suit and be credited by the AAFA, then catching fish will be enjoyed for generations to come

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
C-Bad
Name
Some guy
Boat
yak
got love the old school lift pole shit looks like they can actually make a living doing it

cidiver

Registered to kill
Aug 18, 2006
OC
www.ogrish.com
Name
Mark
Boat
25' skipjack fisherman
Great to see that at least one tuna fishery has got it goin' on!
:appl:

spike

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
Webster is a fishy SOB, he taught me alot when I was a kid, I think he got recognized for this or somthing similar a few years ago as well.

Kingfish

Apr 27, 2003
El Cajon
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Sold !
Thanks Tommy, Great read!!!

smokincan

Carpe Phallus
Dec 26, 2006
O'side
Name
George
Boat
Goes To 11
Good stuff Tommy.

Feb 17, 2005
laguna
Name
jorge
Boat
none
hey tommy do you have any more pics of the jackpoling? those look cool.