Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
Apr 9, 2009
Auburn & Westport, WA.
Name
Dave
Boat
Looking for a Delta
Please hold you course when crossing the Westport Bar especially when around other boats. Last Sunday, within a 4 minute window, we had 2 boats cross less than 200 feet from my port bow at a 90' angle to my starboard. This occurred just around the North tip with a little lump. Both incidents required pulling the throttles back to neutral.

This is the Pacific Ocean you are entering. Please read, learn, and abide by simple rules of the road.

If you feel the need to abruptly change your course by 90', then please go BEHIND the boat AND give them ample room. You never know if there might be a rogue wave or a mechanical issue when making risky moves.

And that was me that called you out on the radio. SAFETY should be everyone's number 1 priority.

I will refrain from calling you out here.

Upvote 0

Ragin Cajun

There's no better place than on the water!
Apr 17, 2014
Port Orchard
Name
Pete
Boat
Defiance Admiral 270,
Flare gun should notify them of your intention. Thats pretty calm compared to the 12 gauge shotgun the capt of the shrimp boat I worked on during high school on (LA). Lower Louisiana. He had no problem letting dumbasss know WTF!

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
nice reminder. Some folks just lack common sense or situational awareness.

Upvote 0

Ugly Bayliner

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 18, 2008
Olympia, Wa USA
Name
Steve Ericsson
Boat
20' Ugly Bayliner
Hmm, can we speculate on what this boat looked like? It always strikes me funny how guys get in a boat and the blinders go on, pay attention to your surroundings!

Upvote 0

blackvelvet

old and gray
Jun 19, 2010
slug and duck country
Name
BV
Boat
One that works for me
I applaud your effort Dave.

Too bad the so called "boater education card" is mostly about sail boats or a jet ski.

Just like semi drivers on the freeway are highly trained experienced drivers.....so too are captains for hire.

Yet a 70 year old can buy a 45' fifth wheel and go with no special license or training.....same as someone buying a boat, no special training is required, and just because boats have no rear view mirror doesn't make it ok to never look over your shoulder !!!

Upvote 0

Salmon Hunter

Apr 29, 2010
West Richland WA
Name
Rick
Boat
19’ Northwest Jet
Hmm, can we speculate on what this boat looked like? It always strikes me funny how guys get in a boat and the blinders go on, pay attention to your surroundings!

my guess would be the same guy had the blinders on while in the truck, car etc. He did not need to even put them on when he got in the boat.

Upvote 0

Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
Apr 9, 2009
Auburn & Westport, WA.
Name
Dave
Boat
Looking for a Delta
Friendly reminder....Safety should be always be #1 and crossing someones bow while they are underway and holding course is a No-No and is unsafe. Since we have more private boats fishing Westport than I can ever remember, there is less area when crossing the bar at 6am. Please abide by the rules of the road and educate yourself. You have lives in your hands and poor decisions can result in bad things happening.

There's a reason why the USCG require a 90% score on this test for a Master.

Watch your compass and the other boats in your area!!! PLEASE?

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Rellis

Boss
  • Jul 3, 2011
    Ellensburg/WA/USA
    Name
    Ray Ellis
    Boat
    21' Trophy, "Cape Spencer"
    Hear-hear bros. My guess is we are talking to the choir. Always be ready to take evasive action. A small percentage of boaters know the rules of the road in the water.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    It's amazing the apps you can get for an I-Pad or other device. Cost is minimal........results are awesome. I have a good Raymarine CP/FF, but I still rock my daughters pink I-pad for additional help. With the apps these days you can chart a course and just stay on the line. Fog/waves/wind can really screw with you if you are trying to just use "dead reckoning"..your foolish if you do....

BTW, this is a good thread to remind all to check their safety equipment...are your flares expired, do you have your boaters education card, etc., etc.....

Be safe all....Swanny

Upvote 0

fishnazzi

Mostly just LURKING anymore...........
    Feb 24, 2008
    Out West....somewhere
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Which one.............
    When a larger boat "honks" the horn at you...... Turns out it is realm a sound signal..... His ass coverage before impact with the small boat moving in correctly........ Learn the rules of the road, what exactly night lights are telling you and sound signals.....they may save your life. Ignorance won't save you in a crossing situation and I won't save you in court...... Have a safe season guys.

Upvote 0

ghbare

Almost A Member
    Apr 3, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Brian Bare
    Boat
    Boat
    "It's amazing the apps you can get for an I-Pad or other device. Cost is minimal........results are awesome. I have a good Raymarine CP/FF, but I still rock my daughters pink I-pad for additional help. With the apps these days you can chart a course and just stay on the line. Fog/waves/wind can really screw with you if you are trying to just use "dead reckoning"..your foolish if you do...."

As much as this sounds like a good way to go I think that you are missing the point on what is happening here. What you say is exactly where the problem is. That little black line on your plotter is nothing more then a reference to where you plan to go when sitting at the dock. What you do after you untie can, will and should, vary from that as you adjust for conditions as you travel. As a "highly trained captain" there is nothing more aggravating then the guy out there that thinks they have it all with a CP/FF/Radar. Such electronics are secondary to a head on a swivel and a solid knowledge of the rules of the road then adapt that to what the ocean and boats around you are doing. What I'm saying here is dead reckoning is top priority use your electronics as a tool not a must.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    "It's amazing the apps you can get for an I-Pad or other device. Cost is minimal........results are awesome. I have a good Raymarine CP/FF, but I still rock my daughters pink I-pad for additional help. With the apps these days you can chart a course and just stay on the line. Fog/waves/wind can really screw with you if you are trying to just use "dead reckoning"..your foolish if you do...."

As much as this sounds like a good way to go I think that you are missing the point on what is happening here. What you say is exactly where the problem is. That little black line on your plotter is nothing more then a reference to where you plan to go when sitting at the dock. What you do after you untie can, will and should, vary from that as you adjust for conditions as you travel. As a "highly trained captain" there is nothing more aggravating then the guy out there that thinks they have it all with a CP/FF/Radar. Such electronics are secondary to a head on a swivel and a solid knowledge of the rules of the road then adapt that to what the ocean and boats around you are doing. What I'm saying here is dead reckoning is top priority use your electronics as a tool not a must.

Maybe I miss represented my intent/thoughts....I was trying to say,,, Don't put your head down and follow the line on your plotter......if you have boats that know where they are, and where they are going in relation to direction they want to go, you won't have boats coming at you at 90 degree angles. Sure if it is a clear day and you've crossed the bar a hundred times, dead reckoning is OK. If it is socked in with fog and you have not crossed it many times (which I'm sure how most of these close calls happen) use help to keep yourself on a straight line, paralell line....not weaving and jogging all over the bar or channel...

If someone can do that in fog and low visibility without any help of a compass or elecs, you're a better mariner than me....a "highly trained" captain will use whatever tools are available to them.... be it a compass and paper charts or the best elecs in the world. Yes they should know how to "dead reckon" with a compass and map, but if you're too proud to use everything at your disposal....than too bad for you...we buy them for a reason...not for 100% guidance/realiabilty, but as something that can complement our other means and keep us a bit safer.....

Be safe all.....Swanny

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    I think it would be fun to give guys a radar and a compass on a foggy day and tell them to run the buoy line! It should be a qualifier to fish Westport! Would probably end a lot of the will you hold my hand crossing the bar threads too!

Upvote 0

Floatflyer

Hope to Catch a Fish!
    Apr 8, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Name
    Floatflyer
    Boat
    24' Bayliner, Ni Modo
    "pink I-pad for additional help". Can somebody that uses a pink i-pad be trusted? Better check where he was born and raised(Kali?)LOL

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    I think it would be fun to give guys a radar and a compass on a foggy day and tell them to run the buoy line! It should be a qualifier to fish Westport! Would probably end a lot of the will you hold my hand crossing the bar threads too!
    Huh??? With a radar & compass?? Why would that be so hard?

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    For you it wouldn't. I know you have been getting around since before chartplotters. When are you home again? Westport is getting good!
    Oh shit I must be getting old since I predate chart plotters.

You would think if a guy is smart enough to buy a radar for his boat he would be smart enough to figure how to run a buoy line using the radar and compass. Of course I've run North up on a radar for so long that I'd probably get screwed up using course up...doubt it though.

Personally I'm aways aware of the Rules and how they pertain to crossing situations but since I'm the nervous type...if I see a close quarter crossing situation developing I'll generally try to cross the stern of the other vessel even I'm not the give way vessel either by a course change or a speed adjustment. Coming in from the tuna grounds if I had a crossing course with a container ship you can bet I will adjust so I'm crossing their stern. This method as served me well through the years as I haven't gone crunch yet. I'm sure the sound of grinding steel isn't a nice sound to hear or the sound of fibre glass turning into toothpicks.

Damn I was hoping you guys would save a few salmon for me. 18 days left on my 60 rotation but I might get home a bit earlier as the rotation skippers kid is getting married the middle of August which totally FUCKS my plans of finally getting an August off after several years of being stuck on a July/August rotation. Anyway if I come home now it might give me more than a couple of weeks off before I have to go back up for a trip or two. Oh well it's good tuna fishing in September if the weather is decent.

Upvote 0

Goldrush

Jul 24, 2008
    Westport WA
    Name
    Kevin Vasereno
    Boat
    43' Delta Gold Rush
    I had an idiot/asshole wthin 6-8' of my port quarter by buddy buoy this morning. He was so close I could only really see the top of his boat. I was told how close he was by another boat. What the hell are some of you thinking?

Upvote 0