Please explain the logic behind this one

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by benrd81, Feb 24, 2019.

1. hotrail20

hotrail20 Intrepid 200 LB Club

Name:
    Leonard
    Boat:
    Yours
    You must be a commercial ass to get so Defensive

2. asdffish

asdffish Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Meg
    Are you saying we can't fish the 72 fathom areas on the "9" in US waters?

3. squidiot

squidiot Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Glaspec 42
    Yup!!! That's me. I'm a commercial ass. 2017-02-15 13.56.23.jpg

4. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stefan
    Boat:
    Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
    Do any of you know the actual rockfish laws for commercial fishing?

intheknow likes this.
  5. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    CHADDY likes this.
  6. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Simple answer......because it's California......Grew up in SD love to visit but dare I say the politics there are well _________....fill in the blank.

yellowklr, Olddog8 and farhangs like this.
  7. bent rod todd

bent rod todd Ling cod killa

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
    Nice haul, guess putting a ton of hooks and baits on the ocean floor and using a winch makes you a badass. Here lies the problem, we recreational and commercial fisherman view each other as competitors instead of coming together to come up with a real solution.

8. sdjfish

sdjfish Deck Ape

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Everything else aside seeing those what look to be reds floating there made me a little woosie. I wonder if we have enough tempura batter, better check.

9. shamitch74

shamitch74 Member

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    18' Mako CC
    :supergay:

ColdEye likes this.
  10. leohayday

leohayday Newbie

Name:
    Leo
    Boat:
    2830 PARKER
    I'd like to know what the seasons are for commercial rock fishing compared to recreational. Also bag limits. I think the California constitution states that the natural resources including those in it's coastal waters belong to ALL Californians!
    Not just commercial fishermen. Much of their catch is sold out of the state and in some cases like lobster almost ALL is sold to go to other countries like Japan. I would like to see them operate under the same seasons as recreational fishermen and if quotas are nearly reached then the restrictions should be put on them first. Sportfishing generates far more money for the state and its residents than commercial does. The money spent on catching each sport caught fish is astronomical. Many times more than each fish caught commercially. All that money (boat payment, interest, gas, bait, insurance, repair, electronics, motels, on and on) is spent in California. I would think that should give us a leg up in the process of "who gets what"!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    charger98 likes this.
  11. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Ask (squ)idiot.

12. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    The simple answer is, there are quotas on various species, and they are divided. First between the trawl fleet and the no trawl fleet, and then between commercial and recreational. Also, Indian tribes and research quotas, but they're not as significant in southern California

Recreational quota comes out of the no trawl quota. Rules are set so as to not violate the quota. Our quota on certain species is like 10% of the actual catch. On other species, it's much larger. Rock fish is divided into multiple categories so there's no short answer, which is probably why he hasn't decided to be helpful.

InDeepShip likes this.
  13. aznboy619

aznboy619 Not a Newbie

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    None
    Here is something you guys can compare to the how much recreational guys catches. Possibly commercial catch is a lot smaller as there are other type of fish that can help them earn more or less. There are a lot of data out there I could divulge but I wont due to respect to my fellow commercial guys.

https://reports.psmfc.org/recfin/f?p=601:1:1252910093053::NO:::

upload_2019-2-26_14-58-27.png
    upload_2019-2-26_14-58-52.png

14. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks, but I think what most people are wondering is not the catch, but the regulations for commercial rock fishing for shelf rock fish. Most of the species recreational guys target in Southern California are shelf rock fish, though the limits often end up being bottle necked by other species like yellow eye, which end up as by catch. Commercial trips are divided between limited and open access licenses, and what people don't want to see happening is a bunch of commercial fleets going out and using up the quota, since as far as we know, there isn't a specific recreational allocation for shelf rock fish ie https://www.westcoast.fisheries.noa...sc_ea/2019-20-gf-spex-ea-compliance-guide.pdf

It's my personal understanding that shelf rock fishing in Southern California isn't very profitable due to all the restrictions, so most of the commercial fishing take place in Central and Northern management areas. With quotas increased, however, people have a right to worry as seasons can be shut down early when quotas are exceeded; plus regulations changed.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    aznboy619 likes this.
  15. Donkey Nick

Donkey Nick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    LOL

Bragging rights...but not for long. Thank you for the nice Photo of your (not for long) "honey hole" with the island beautifully framed in the background. Some of the internet sleuths on this board will have the GPS waypoints published in no time.

Even the rookie Sporty Boat captains know how to use Photoshop...

ColdEye likes this.
  16. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    data you won't divulge....LOL yeah that helps your cause

17. charliecat

charliecat on a fishin' mission

Name:
    charlie cat
    Boat:
    14' -50' , bunch of boats
    Make sure no one ever eats/buys seafood at a restaurant, market, taco stand, catered banquet, tapas bar, school lunch, airline dinner, boardwalk, happyhour, again, then we can sport fish all day and night!
    Or just be sure to eat talapia grown in sewer ponds and farmed shrimp from the Philippines and keep any fishing jobs and 100's of years of fishing heritage out of this country!
    A lot easier to 'swallow' when it's not in your backyard, right?

18. charliecat

charliecat on a fishin' mission

Name:
    charlie cat
    Boat:
    14' -50' , bunch of boats
    I'm not trying to stir the pot here, and get into an keyboard battle, but I just want everyone to think about this a bit. These guys making a living catching fish within a federal and state mandated quota- x amount of pounds every 2 months, 5 x's a year, adjusted each year to meet scientific studies of sustainable numbers. Sportfish boats can take 40-90 people every day and take limits the entire season. They don't stop when they have 500 lbs of gophers or cabezon... it goes until the season ends... And we all know puker boat patrons are not satisfied unless the get limits. Every day. And throw back a floating trail of small fish because they want 'the big ones', while the commercial live guys often can get a better rate for small- medium sized fish per market demand.
    Just saying.
    But I am glad people are paying attention and are concerned about the welfare and future of our resources. Let's all get accurate info and do what we can to protect and manage these fish the best we can so our grandkids can catch/release/photogragh/deep fry them as much as we have.

19. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Thank you for not raping the bottom of the ocean with a trawler. Also if that spot is at the CI that's one hell of a spot.

mudshark and ColdEye like this.
  20. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Guys on the water more days than not have areas in heavily fished zones that can produce amazing results...