Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Guys,

Do any of you know much about lithiums and where they are manufactured?

Are the advantages worth the cost?

My personal reasons as I am adding a bow troll motor I'm looking at keeping the weight down and longevity of batteries

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Following as I’m looking into this type of battery too for my NV trolling motor only that NV does not recommend it on them, MK does.

I am checking on Dakota but not sure if they are Made in US though. 11 years Warranty. Amazon has Chins but i think this is Made in China.

Yes weight is my top concern as the 60lbs weight of my current AGM Deep Cycle battery will be cut in almost half with lithium. But price is a big factor also.

Reactions: KID CREOLE

Da Mad Anglah

Old fut who still misses home on da islands
Oct 21, 2020
Idaho (and sometimes Honolulu)
Name
Chris
Boat
'93 18' Weldcraft "Rod Rage"
The problem isn't so much the batteries, but more the charging of lithium batteries on the boat.
You'll need to run a lithium-specific charger, and there's a potential to damage the alternator on your engine.
There's another thread about lithium batteries, lots of good info:

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/lifepo-boat-batteries.766504/

Chris

Reactions: FlatPack

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    Most are made in china, or at least the cells are. My biggest concern is price and maximum current draw. The AH rating is typically close to the maximum sustained load (50AH = 50A draw). Increasing the AH rating is very expensive, the jump from 50 to 100AH is crazy due to the doubling of the required number of cells.

The reduced weight is nice, but the big gain from LiFePO4 is usable AH at full voltage, this amounts to about 50% more than a shallow cycle on a lead-acid battery. Unfortunately, this benefit is countered by the high current draw motors that will require a higher AH rating regardless of run time.

Cost for a 36v 100AH LiFePO4 is $1500-$2000 for china made with BMS. The "equivalent" in lead-acid would be about $125 per battery or $375.00

Amazon product

Last edited:
    Reactions: FlatPack

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    I run Battleborn batteries in my RV. As others had mentioned, the stand alone charging network is key. The other thing to think about on a boat, and why I haven't changed over on my vessel is the redundancy for starting. I can't go to bank 2 if my starting battery won't start the boat. The Lithium batteries don't have a CCA or cold cranking amp. They won't turn over your starter on the boat at all. They are just a place to store volts for use in a trolling motor or other parasitic electronics.

If you address starting battery redundancy then it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Report of usage? Love the friggin batteries. Beyond a game changer as to the usable life of the batteries in use for powering the house RV. Each battery has double the usable capacity of its equal led acid or AGM twin. Also, they take a charge much quicker than others, so my solar bank can bring them back from flat to full in about four to six hours.

With led acid I used to run out of battery storage in about three days dry camping with no hook ups and not recharging. Now, I never run out of power. The genset is obsolete.

Reactions: esgeo and FlatPack

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    flytie,

What is the total AH of your RV battery bank and the solar panels total Watts?

Do you use an inverter?

Last edited:
    Reactions: flytie

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Great info guys

I wanted info on lithium batteries for the 36v troll motor I'm adding to my boat.

the lithium will only be charged by a onboard charger, not the motors

openclass

Slam
    May 28, 2009
    Napa
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    It would make me nervous being the guinny pig even 20 miles out in the ocean with a battery made in China with that technology. I've seen enough cellphones on YouTube basically going up in flames in a slow motion explosion to scare the s$!t out of me. At least on land you could jump out of the vehicle and call the fire dept. On a positive note the bright flash of the batteries exploding would be a lot more noticeable than a flare from a flare gun. You would almost be guaranteed to be seen. The concept of a lighter and longer lasting battery is intriguing though.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    I went through the same decision process the last time I replaced my trolling motor batteries. Cost, weight, battery redundancy, and the occasional tendency for lithium ion batteries to go up in flames made it an easy decision. I went with 3 Group 31 AGM batteries and don’t regret it. On a boat the size you’re running, you won’t notice the weight difference.
    On a side note, I have had lithium ion batteries for Trimble GPS equipment blow up while on the charger in my garage.
    I spent most of my twenties as a firefighter but fighting fire with a garden hose at 3 o’clock in the morning in my underwear was definitely a new experience and I found that I didn’t particularly enjoy it.
    That said, the inescapable conclusion I arrived at after the 3AM nude firefighting incident was that technology that occasionally starts fires should stay on dry land.
    Your mileage may vary...

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    flytie,

What is the total AH of your RV battery bank and the solar panels total Watts?

Do you use an inverter?
    I have 200ah in battery power and 400w of solar.

I have an inverter but rarely use it other that to charge a laptop or something of the sort.

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    I have 200ah in battery power and 400w of solar.

I have an inverter but rarely use it other that to charge a laptop or something of the sort.
    That is about what I was considering for my RV. Currently, I have 2 group 903 6v 370AH batteries in series. They are 4 years old and in great shape ( I short cycle them) but I know replacement is on the horizon. 200-300AH of LiFePO4 with 400W of solar and MPPT 40A controller should reduce my generator time significantly.

I have a 2kw Freedom 458 inverter/charger that is used extensively by my family, The charging profile is adjustable but I would not feel comfortable with it on Li.

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    That is about what I was considering for my RV. Currently, I have 2 group 903 6v 370AH batteries in series. They are 4 years old and in great shape ( I short cycle them) but I know replacement is on the horizon. 200-300AH of LiFePO4 with 400W of solar and MPPT 40A controller should reduce my generator time significantly.

I have a 2kw Freedom 458 inverter/charger that is used extensively by my family, The charging profile is adjustable but I would not feel comfortable with it on Li.
    The people at Battleborn are great. I started an online conversation and took it to phone. They helped with my conversion from led acid. They might have an idea if you can alter the charge profile to work with their batteries.

Reactions: tuner