"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
1 for 10?

How/Why is a deckhand grabbing your gear from your hands without your permission? Serious question.

shooter21

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 30, 2014
Bakersfield
Name
Shane
Boat
Someday
It just seems to be the thing to do i guess. They dont take it from me they just ask what # pound leader and try to pull line to check drag. Either im cranking or the fish is pulling line, which basically forcing you to stop. I thought they do that to everyone, maybe they just assume i dont set my drag at 30% or somewhere close.

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
I thought they do that to everyone, maybe they just assume i dont set my drag at 30% or somewhere close.
No they don't!

I've never had a DH do that to me while I'm hooked up. Maybe you just have that look.

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
I'm too stupid to fish braid.
wasn't good in shop class...
Said 6 fingers.

Antares

The popcorn police
Jul 3, 2009
San Diego/Maui
Name
Drew
Boat
29'
buy a boat and nobody ever fucks with your drag!
I wish that was the case. Most people don’t know what 20 and 30 lbs of drag really feels like. Luckily all my trolling gear are tiagrs so I can very easily see when people are playing with the drags.

Antares

The popcorn police
Jul 3, 2009
San Diego/Maui
Name
Drew
Boat
29'
It just seems to be the thing to do i guess. They dont take it from me they just ask what # pound leader and try to pull line to check drag. Either im cranking or the fish is pulling line, which basically forcing you to stop. I thought they do that to everyone, maybe they just assume i dont set my drag at 30% or somewhere close.

A fair amount of decks hands do this. It’s a terrible habit.

Antares

The popcorn police
Jul 3, 2009
San Diego/Maui
Name
Drew
Boat
29'
in 25 years of LR fishing I have NEVER had a deckhand touch my drag or ask to check my drag and if they did I would tell them to please leave it alone...and if i lose the fish because of my drag it is on me......
I can fully believe that but you are one of the best and very well known.

Deckhands on long range are a class above. I have only seen this on shorter trip.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
in 25 years of LR fishing I have NEVER had a deckhand touch my drag or ask to check my drag and if they did I would tell them to please leave it alone...and if i lose the fish because of my drag it is on me......
Who is going to question the tactics of an Asian fisherman?
We're talking gringos here, Fishy. :rofl:

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
Whats the proper way to tell a deckhand not to touch my drag? Im like 1 for 10 on bft when they bump up the drag. Just got off a fishy boat, was hooked up with a 50-80 UC 80 hp, bv2-600 with 40 leader. I soon as i yell fresh one they are over there trying to pull out line to test drag, the fish is slowly taking some line still got 400yds left on the reel, so he cant get an accurate feel of the drag then just pushes up the lever and pow, game over. To me you can see drag and hear it. When a 60# rod is bent halfway over and the braid is popping as its coming off tells me there's plenty of drag. Anyways just bummed and venting mostly, but f**k
Shane....where are you fishing out of ?
I'm with Fishy....never had a deckhand adjust my drag while on a fish.
To be honest I don't know what I would say or do if one did.....just never had that problem

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I've never had this done while on a fish. I haven't fished overnight boats in a long time though so maybe things have changed.

On my long range trips I check my drags daily on the scale. Deckhands have asked what I have it set at but not touched it. Not sure how I would react if one just reached in while I was on a fish. Probably wouldn't be a good thing

Reactions: stephen campbell

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Interesting comments so far. I could be wrong, but it sounds like most are coming from shorter trips with lighter line, like maybe 40# and under?

I've never had a deckhand adjust my drag unless I ask them to check it. Or they might comment on my drag being too loose.

I was talking to a seasoned long range deckhand a while back, and he was telling me about one incident where he knew the anglers drag was way too loose, so he bumped the lever up a bit. The hook pulled. He got his ass chewed out. A while later the angler went to the deck and apologized. Why? Because he realized that it wasn't the adjusting of the drag that caused the loss. The hook was not set properly and the loose drag would have only prolonged the inevitable ....a pulled hook.

I had one incident on a long range trip. Big fish, 100# line. Deckhand takes my rod, asks me what size line, and proceeds to fight the fish while maneuvering around tangles, etc. After I landed the fish, I checked the drag. Wow really tight. He adjusted the drag according to what he knew the line would take based on his experience. I set the drag at 26#. He set it much higher. His name? Ray Lopez, American Angler. The best big fish deckhand I have ever had to pleasure to fish with.

So.......would I let a deckhand adjust my drag. My answer would be, it depends on the deckhand. A seasoned deck, yes. A young deckhand.........Hmmmm, maybe no.

So, those of you who are blaming the deck for losing your fish because he tightened your drag a little might want to think twice as to why the hooked pulled.

Just my thoughts. Continue to blame the deckhands for your lost fish if you feel it's justified. Their goal is to help you land your fish.

Last edited:

Tunaslayer

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 4, 2004
Dallas, Texas
Name
Omar
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler
Short leader, heavy line, small hook, stiff rod. All these factors should be taken into consideration. I’ve pulled hooks by bumping up the drag under that combination and that was my fault.

Deckhand should ask a few more questions before doing anything to the reel.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
don't yell fresh one?
I am probably the only one that can't stand it when you hear people yelling "Hook up" "fresh one" "biter" or simply just moaning like it was your first time..

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
I am probably the only one that can't stand it when you hear people yelling "Hook up" "fresh one" "biter" or simply just moaning like it was your first time..
Nope, I'm the same way.

Just yell "Hey look at me!!!"

Reactions: Cago

shellback

Dec 18, 2003
templeton/morro bay
Visit site
Name
shellback
Boat
other peoples
[QUOTE="Fishybuzz,in 25 years of LR fishing I have NEVER had a deckhand touch my drag or ask to check my drag and if they did I would tell them to please leave it alone...and if i lose the fish because of my drag it is on me......

been fishing since the early 90's. on a recent guadelupe trip, the only fish i lost was due to being given "help" by some very experienced deckhands. and these guys are the best in the fleet. after i lost the fish, i showed the deckhands some pictures (including the fish in my avatar) that i baited, fished and landed without help.in a polite manner.
on the rest of the trip, i caught fish when no one else was. the whole deal pissed me off.

at this point, i dont need help, dont want it and have never asked for it. fishy's got it- if i lose the fish, its on me. no one else.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
I am ok with it depending the situation. Once I was on the Outerlimits and it was a very slow picky bft bite. We were fishing size 2 hooks and 20lb floro just to get bit. And the deckhand was just checking my drag to make sure it wasn't too tight. Several times I have had deck hands on other boats ask me what line class I was fishing. And other times I have had them simply just take the rod out of my hands when I was close to the anchor to avoid disaster and give it back to me seconds later. I appreciate the decky's and as long as they are helping me land my fish I welcome their input.

Reactions: Mtnfshr and Cubeye

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Nope, I'm the same way.

Just yell "Hey look at me!!!"
That is exactly it! The worst is the guys that have orgasms every time they hook up.

Reactions: EZYGOING

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
That is exactly it! The worst is the guys that have orgasms every time they hook up.
What's really funny are the guys who yell that shit only to have it break off as soon as they finish the sentence. LOL

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
What's really funny are the guys who yell that shit only to have it break off as soon as they finish the sentence. LOL
LOL Yup! My favorite as well.

Cago

Feb 24, 2011
La Palma, CA USA
Name
Marvin
Boat
“Free Spool”
Ive only had a Capt ask me what line I had. Told him 25#. He pulls line to check drag and says its perfect. I set on a scale the night before every trip. Ended up getting rocked anyway. Also cant stand the ‘Fresh One!’ guys. Just fight your fish. I dont say shit other than ‘Im on’ to whoever is next to me. Dont want to jinx it.

Reactions: onehottip