Dexter Outdoors

ksfisherman

Apr 20, 2017
Wichita Kansas
Name
Brad Bell
Boat
Lund 2
I will be going on the RR111 at the end of July. I just want to have fun, try and catch a few fish and stay out of the the way. I could use a little help in the rental gear area as I have no gear... what to bring ( to survive ) how to come back with fish and new friends. To be honest some of these posts are scarring me. I have fished albacore in Oregon 10 foot seas, east cape bill fish etc. this will be my first LR trip. Tips would be nice as I might be that guy right now, not sure.:cool:

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I will be going on the RR111 at the end of July. I just want to have fun, try and catch a few fish and stay out of the the way. I could use a little help in the rental gear area as I have no gear... what to bring ( to survive ) how to come back with fish and new friends. To be honest some of these posts are scarring me. I have fished albacore in Oregon 10 foot seas, east cape bill fish etc. this will be my first LR trip. Tips would be nice as I might be that guy right now, not sure.:cool:
Im sure they have good loaner gear, some boats it's free of charge, you just pay for the floro or mono call there office and inquire about it. You can also get all you're hooks,sinkers ect on the boat as well.fellow anglers are very accomidating as well. Just bring a good attitude and have a blast!

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    It is all about the adventure. You will find the crew and more important your fellow fishermen will be behind you all the way. Do not be intimidated by this website, it has a reputation given by a few bad apples. The normal guy on long range are really fun to share the rail with.

All the terminal tackle you may need is on the Rooster website. If needed the boat has the same tackle for sale on the boat for about the same dock prices. Many people come on board with less expierence than you and have an absolute blast.

Upvote 0

tommyc

Hacker
    Jul 30, 2011
    Livermore, CA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Beatem N' Eatem
    What to bring? Tip money in the amount of 20% of the fare you are paying. You might not need it all, but the crew will be helping you and everyone else try to be successful and it's likely that they will earn it.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    You picked the right boat - call the office and they will guide you in on everything you need.

Only problem now is going to be budgeting a longer trip next year on the RR3

Reactions: bdubs73
    Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Brad, what trip are you on? As Bill said don't be intimidate by the web site. It's a great boat with a great crew. All you need is you personnel stuff, it's listed on the web site. Don't forget a towel, and soap. If it's the Seaguar trip, everyone gets hook, fluorocarbon a catchy jig and some other stuff. If you like to consume a specific brew, there are liquor stores near by. I assume you are coming in the night before, so get a room at the Vagabond. I'm on the Seaguar trip, and it's usually a great group.

Rich

Reactions: Olddog8
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    It is all about the adventure. You will find the crew and more important your fellow fishermen will be behind you all the way. Do not be intimidated by this website, it has a reputation given by a few bad apples. The normal guy on long range are really fun to share the rail with.

All the terminal tackle you may need is on the Rooster website. If needed the boat has the same tackle for sale on the boat for about the same dock prices. Many people come on board with less expierence than you and have an absolute blast.
    I agree with Bill, don't be intimadated, soak up as much knowledge from crew and passengers as possible! My first long range tril on the Q105, I caught a 62 pound yellowtail on surface iron at alios. I thought go to the rocks, catch huge yellowtail, didn't really realize at the time, how that was a fish of a lifetime. Have a great trip, and let us know how you did,and good luck as well!

Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago

Brad, I'm still a newbie too, I learn something on every trip. I've ridden the RR3 seven times and all of them were great; that includes a 3day I caught nothing on! The crew has always been friendly, helpful, and hard working. The crew has remembered my wife and my names years later and always say hi. You will have no shortage of help, let them know up front this is your first trip. I learned long ago to put my pride aside, if they say let me give you a hand, I let them - I've learned a lot from the crew that way. I've only had two, what I would consider a poor trip in 15 LR trips, and they were not on the RR3. Don't let comments made here, including by me, get to you. If you call the office, they will arrange appropriate rental tackle.

Upvote 0

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
    Name
    Boomer
    Boat
    Any one that floats.
    Great rental gear is available via Maria in the office. don't let the tackle shops have their way with You by selling you stuff that you will not need. Everything tackle wise is available on the boat for the same price as on land, maybe cheaper.

Upvote 0

SSUfish

Sep 14, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    n/a
    My girlfriend used a few of their loaner rigs on our 5day last winter. The gear was great, the crew was very helpful with tackle and new line. Oddly enough I found myself using the rental stuff and the gf tended to go towards mine, for what that's worth.

Upvote 0

pgangler

12Wt
    Jul 25, 2012
    Pacific Grove, Calif
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Was Cabo35, now GW Gulfstream

I completely agree with Bill. If you've never fished LR, you are in for the treat of your lifetime! From the food, to the accomodations, to the oustanding crew, and your fellow passengers, and THE FISHING - all will be top shelf. There is absolutely nothing to fear, and you will have a blast. There is lots of loaner gear on board, but they'll probably recommend that you rent a 30-lb and 50-lb outfit. You can do that right at the landing, no problem. You will need to purchase terminal tackle, so I'd check the website and BD for what's working. Myself, 4 of my friends, my father, my son, and my daughter all caught our first tuna on the Rooster; and I've fished the boat at least 15 times in the last 20 years - going back in January of '18. Good luck, and have fun!!

Reactions: bdubs73
    Upvote 0

rccalhoun

Jul 30, 2009
    san jose ca
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    none yet
    myself and the jackpot winner used loaner gear on the royal star.
    the jackpot winner (a newbie to ocean fishing) was the hot hand all trip.
    no-one gets killed on these trips (i think)...its all in the mystique. what happens on board, stays on board (ie group hugs, group crying sessions, etc)

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

LEGENDS

Yogi Bear
    May 7, 2011
    Lakeside
    Name
    Sam
    Boat
    None
    You'll be alright. You're going on one of the best boats in the fleet(in my opinion) for you're first time out LR fishing. Nick, Tom, and Fernando all great workers and fishermen. A bit of advice, soak up and enjoy Andy's daily reports and seminars. It's what I looked forward to when I was on my 8day trips.

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Holy Cow! You are going long range fishing....for the first time! You are going to be amazed. Congratulations on making the plunge! I have fished all of the long range boats and have no favorite....but the Dirty Bird will do you right! Crew is amazing and Mike in the galley is cutting edge! Good luck!

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Andy is one of my favorite captains to fish with. Make sure you stay within hearing range of his ongoing commentary. He is too funny. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Do listen to and observe those around you, although not all of them are right. The crew loves to help you get fish. If you're having a tough time ask one to help you select, hook, and cast out your bait. I'll give you a 90% chance that you will have a new addiction after this trip.

Upvote 0

caveman

Almost A Member
    May 1, 2006
    windsor,ca
    Name
    charles boyd
    Boat
    20 ft. jetcraft,ciocc
    Once folks know it's your first time out, you'll get a lot of help from the other fishermen as well as the crew. You will be with people who are passionate about fishing and love to talk about it. Like a previous poster said, you learn something new each time. The only bad aspect to is figuring out how to pay for your next trip.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Take your albacore gear with you. Get the reels serviced and put on fresh line. They will work fine for schoolie tunas and yellowtail to 30#. Plus, youre familiar with it.
    Meet the crew when you first walk on. Let them know your personal experiences so they better know how to better look out for you...... er...... help you with any assistance that you may need. :D
    Go with the flow at the rail. It is not that difficult as long as your feet know how to move.
    as for personal items, theres a jillion threads here on that subject. 'search' works good.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)

Brad,

My first trip out of SD was an 8 day on the RR III. I had never fished for any of the species we encountered and had no gear at all. The RR set me up with some good loaner gear and I just bought what tackle I needed from the boat. Other passengers were more than willing to loan or give me anything else I might have needed. I caught YFT, YT and Dorado. The only time I was outgunned was when I got bit on a long soak by a decent YFT. The fish quickly broke off and the captain was a bit upset that they had not provided me with a larger setup. I think I pretty much fished 30 the entire time.

Just listen to the crew and the friendlier passengers and you will have fun.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0