salmonkillerSeahawk

Almost A Member
Aug 21, 2017
Covington
Name
Bryan
Boat
21NR Seahawk
We are heading to Playa del Carmen for the first time next week. We plan to either book someone online before we go or just walk down to the marina/beach area and ask around for someone to take us out in the morning.. would u suggest booking online or just doing the walk around and barter???

Also.. is there a big ocean swell like you would see @ neah bay/west port??? Or is more like big wind chop? My fiancé does not like the neah bay swells….

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Not a lot of swell down there, mostly wind blown waves and it can get nasty.

Fishing isn't great around Playa. The couple of times we've been it's tourist trap fishing mostly until I begged to bottom fish which was reasonable fun but not something the boat was set-up to really do.

What is great is the flats fishing Ascension Bay but it's a bit of a hike (2.5 hours) if you can make it down there it's world class for bonefish and permit.

Upvote 0

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
    Apr 29, 2015
    Palmdale, CA
    www.ebay.com
    Name
    Curtis Wright
    Boat
    Kayak
    We were just in Cozumel and the fishing wasn't great at all. Just not mush life in that part of the ocean but maybe we just had a bad boat. No one in the harbor was bringing in anything.

Upvote 0

Gary C

Jul 6, 2014
    Yelm
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    21 NW Jet Boat
    We've went from the beach out of our resort & just lined it up when we arrive. Usually a panga type for 2 or 4 & we caught mahi mahi. It was around $400 for 1/2 day. Ended up out in the channel with blue water, closer to Cozumel.

Reactions: gilly19
    Upvote 0

South Sounder

Skipper
    Jun 12, 2011
    South Sound/ WA/ USA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    South Sounder
    For sure just book when you get down there. There will be lots of hustlers for your business. It’ll most likely be a fun boat ride with a bonus fish so just find a good bargain. Most reputable online bookings are Probablly lined up already

whatever you do have fun and enjoy yourselves!

Reactions: CartridgeCalls
    Upvote 0

Spokaloo

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 30, 2008
    Spokane, Wa
    www.stagboatworks.com
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    I build my own
    That area is about timing. This time of year it’s tourist fishing.

In the Jan-Mar window, there is a LIGHTS OUT stand up sailfish fishery. Enough that it actually lures down a bunch of the Outer Banks boats. Last time I fished off Isla Mujeres, we hooked 22 and boated 15 on light gear in the 100lb class. Absolute riot but it is a winter fishery.

Have a good trip.

Reactions: CartridgeCalls
    Upvote 0

poncherello

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 11, 2005
    san Diego
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    none
    I fished out of Cozumel on chi-chi charters. Awesome 36’ pro kat. I was mainly there for filming, but the boat was rigged nice with great equipment and had baits rigged up for wahoo. Cozumel may be your best bet for fish as they fish along the drop off. I chartered a plane from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel. Quick 10 minute flight. Definitely worth it if you’re on a time crunch.

You will have a blast!!

CF8C2D1D-79CB-4D05-B405-E65F2EB2D1E3.jpeg

B7CD1B5F-D43F-48B2-B95D-E683DF5E72AC.jpeg

3A37B33A-31E3-485A-857A-42D1EA47E4E6.jpeg

B8A6F296-CFA2-4652-82F2-31D4B407DD3D.jpeg

Upvote 0

salmonkillerSeahawk

Almost A Member
    Aug 21, 2017
    Covington
    Name
    Bryan
    Boat
    21NR Seahawk
    Just got back from our vacation… We ended up going out with Jeramias Santiago @ JLC fishing out of Playa del Carmen

We got 2 Mahi Mahi while trolling.. Also got a Skip jack tuna on the troll that was bitten in ½ by a Barracuda. We had 3 fish on while jigging was not able to ever see them…. They all broke us off or just came off… We also used some bait… I had something on that peeled out about 75 yards of line and them broke me off completely.. Jaramias said it was probably a large Grouper…. My Wife also got a Trigger fish using strips of bait.
    IMG_4621.JPG
    IMG_4637.JPG
    IMG_4643.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG

Upvote 0