Plastics In the Ocean

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Garabaldi, May 29, 2011.

1. Garabaldi

Garabaldi Newbie

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Still on the 5 year waiting list for a DP harbor slip!
    As the Long Range season fires up here I think it might be a good idea for all of us to remember just how toxic and harmful manmade plastics can be when placed into the sea. With more and more areas getting shut down for fishing or limited access being granted, I believe we all need to do our very best to be good stewards of the sea, and every little bit helps.

As fisherman we already contribute more than our fair share of plastic going into the ocean via lost or swept over: fishing line, garbage bags, grocery bags, plastic lures, six-pack holders, plastic wrappers, and a whole host of other stuff. Most folks have no real idea how long some of the manmade plastic items that we use every day last once they get into the ocean. And now research scientists are saying that certain types of plastics never actually go away! And even worse yet, many plastics act like sponges when it comes to absorbing other well identified toxins.

Read this report from a captain of an oceanographic research vessle (based out of Santa Barbara, CA ) that truly knows what he is talking about... it will make you think twice about putting any more plastic into the ocean than need be, hopefully the scientific info and data supplied in the report fully registers and stays in your mind (as scary as it is):

http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Ocean/Ocean-Plastic-Landfill-Algalita1nov02.htm

Many scientists believe that the continued pollution (destruction) of our oceans with everlasting manmade plastics and other toxic manmade chemicals could eventually lead to the demise of planet earth as we know it today, sounds kinda crazy and far fetched, but remember, not too long ago many thought the earth was flat... we have learned a lot since that time frame as technolgy breeds newer, more advanced technology... the real dilemma we now face here is that we are way behind in discovering just how dangerous and everlasting the plastic items that we have created and use for the daily consumption of just about everything truly are when they get dumped into the oceans of the world.

Let's all have a great fishing season, but let's also be mindful of what goes overboard while at sea... the ocean is vast, but it is still fragile.

Tight lines!

2. noahfex

noahfex Newbie

Name:
    Noah
    Boat:
    15' Gregor
    Well said! Thanks for posting this reminder.

3. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    I love hugging trees too ;) thanks for the reminder....

4. Wahoosnofish

Wahoosnofish now thats a galley fish

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    no
    Its not that hard to put your tag ends and other crap in the trash. I always clean up that stuff from the tackle center and surrounding area on my trips just because I hate to see it on the beach and in the ocean.

5. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    I pick shit up everytime I see it I think I deserve a trash collector award ;)

6. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    yup, I think all of us pick up the trash from other people, I actually enjoy getting in someone's face when I see them throwing trash on the beach, happens alot too

7. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Litter is gross. Don't be a slob. Pick up yer shit or I'm gonna make SMALL SNIPS IN YOUR KNOTS.

8. Garabaldi

Garabaldi Newbie

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Still on the 5 year waiting list for a DP harbor slip!
    You must read Captain Moore's article on the condition of our oceans as it relates to Plastic pollution. I had the pleasure of meeting him personally, he is a humble but brillant man... read his article on "plastics" and you will learn the true facts from a renowned expert on just how massive and complex this problem truly is.

http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Ocean/Ocean-Plastic-Landfill-Algalita1nov02.htm

Tight lines!