I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 11, 2008
Mt.Vernon, WA
www.SaltwaterPimp.com
Name
Jim
Boat
Been Layin' Sum Pipe
What do y'all think for your thru hulls and pickup....brass or Marelon plastic? The hull is fiberglass.

52610.jpeg

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I brought this up a month or so ago with a few responses.... Bronze was the general consensus.... If you search it, you’ll find a decent article I posted from Kells Christian a marine surveyor who talks about the Marelon fittings and his experience as a surveyor....

He was not against them....

Reactions: Sammy Hooker
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Grady White changed from plastic to stainless back in 97 or something. Should tell you all you need to know.
    My Grady’s had bronze below the waterline, stainless above... Even my old 1993....

Although the fish drain boxes on one of them had plastic just above the waterline and it was actually broke when I bought it.... It looked yellowish from sun and age... impact against a dock appeared to be the culprit agains a brittle fitting.

Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    My Grady’s had bronze below the waterline, stainless above... Even my old 1993....

Although the fish drain boxes on one of them had plastic just above the waterline and it was actually broke when I bought it.... It looked yellowish from sun and age... impact against a dock appeared to be the culprit agains a brittle fitting.
    Chrome over bronze to keep it Pimp

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    Like others have said bronze for seacocks and other underwater fittings, and stainless steel for scuppers/drains and other above water fittings. Plastic is prone to cracking but gets the job done until it doesn’t.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Pimp’n ain’t cheap. No plastic.

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Pimp’n ain’t cheap. No plastic.
    Learn some before you speak you him. A grady is still a Clorox Bottle. You won't like what Brass/bronze does to Aluminum. Protect the plastic from Sunlight you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    His isn’t an aluminum boat.

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    If you want to replace it in 20 or 30 years, go plastic, otherwise go with bronze or stainless.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    I wouldn't just use any bronze seacock. You should get the Groco brand. They have a good reputation. Its a lifetime buy so might as well get the ones that people trust the most. There are different versions, but this is just an example. I personally prefer the full flange versions because its built like a tank. You can also buy backing blocks that fit these types of seacocks.

And by the way, never use Home Depot brass fittings for marine fittings that may touch salt water. You want C83600 bronze that is designed for corrosion resistence. Its technically a bronze material, but it is also called "Leaded Red Brass, SAE 40" in other industries. In the marine industry, its more commonly referred to as the Naval Bronze.

1620412090570.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Here is a link to good information about seacocks and the correct way to replace them. It also shows examples of people using wrong parts like yellow brass fittings.

Upvote 0

mikepanz

Apr 10, 2008
    vacouver british columbia, canada
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    228 grady
    316 SS suffers crevice corrosion when submerged in sea water full time. DO NOT USE 316 SS for fittings that are submerged, bad things will happen.

This is one of the reasons why Gemlux has come out with their titanium line of thu hulls.

If you want to use SS it needs to be a duplex like 2205 or super duplex like 2507.

Typically in a glass boat you will use Naval bronze....not the same as brass.

In aluminum Marlon or one of the above better grades of SS or TI will work.

Deviant

Apr 8, 2010
    WA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Arima SeaRanger 19
    Bronze/brass....they can call the material what ever they want...its plastic.

SS is top on my list

Learn some before you speak you him. A grady is still a Clorox Bottle. You won't like what Brass/bronze does to Aluminum. Protect the plastic from Sunlight you'll be fine.
    If you have an aluminum hull....plastic - The galvanic corrosion will not do well and....well a bigger issue
    Fiberglass/"clorox" - Bronze for a moored boat or bronze or stainless for a trailered boat