Planning to go on Long Range boats once again

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
East Los Angeles near 60 & 710 frwys
Name
Benjamin R. S.
Boat
Pontoon, float tube, kayak
I have been out of the sport boat fishing scene for quite a long time. I have long since gotten rid of the majority of my gear, except for a 10' jigstick I couldn't part with.

I want to get back on the boats, especially the long range fleet, 8-10 day trips is perfect. I feel like I get more fishing time and opportunity for larger fish.

Anyhow, I need to buy gear. I was looking at the reels manufactured today and how pricey/expensive everything has gotten. It is what it is and life goes on. Back in the day the only 2 speed reel I used was a basic trolling outfit, a Penn international 50SW. That has long been sold along with all my other reels which were not 2 speed. I have been blown away by all the manufactures, I have no clue as to which reels are a better bang for the buck or the best quality. Not sure if warranty would come into play on reels or rods.

Do I really need the smaller 2 speed reels being built nowadays?
Are they really worth the extra cash when fighting the fish?

I have looked up the recommended gear list for 7-10 day trips from several boats and they all vary. For instance on the Excel they recommend spectra on all the reels while the Intrepid only suggest the spectra on the 2 heavier outfits. I'm a bit confused.

I want to do this right the second time around when purchasing my gear once again, not that the first time I bought all my gear was wrong, it's just times have changed big time when it comes to gear selection.

If I could get some advice from some of you who frequent the trips of 8-10 days in duration that would be great.

As of now I'm looking at trips until 2016 as I know buying a whole new quiver will be quite expensive.

I used to have all custom made Calstar rods with Laker colors. My rod builder Bob Tanji who used to have a shop in Montebello, has long since closed up shop and I need a new reliable rod builder near ELA ~ Monterey Park, I don't mind driving just not to far in traffic. Plus is there an online dealer who maybe selling reels for of course a better price than the store front retailers? Yeah that would be great, but if not I could still head over to Turners Or Sav-on-tackle.

Thanks guys
Benny

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I would honestly use the loaner gear for your first time back. Most of it is top not and all you pay for is the mono replacement. Much easier to stomach and the extra cash can be used to buy the hooks and all the Gucci gear we like. Then you would have a point of reference when it came to the type of reels and rods you liked and you could build your quiver as time/money permits.

My .02

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
I agree, use loaner gear and find out what you like. You can check the classified section for reels and rods. If you want custom, try Salty Dawg. He rods are fantastic.

Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
X3 on the loaner gear. Another option would get on one of the trips sponsored by Shimano, Avet, etc. I've been on a couple of Shimano sponsored trips on the Royal Star and Searcher, and the tackle rep must have had 60-70 rod/reel combinations with all the latest and greatest toys for people to try out.

Upvote 0

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
X4 on the boat gear. Definitely go with that for the larger stuff because you won't be using it that often. For a typical 8-10 day trip, your most used outfit will be a 40# outfit. The Penn Fathom 25N LD 2 speed is a nice little reel that would fill that need and it's at a very nice price point. Pair that with a nice 7 1/2 to 8' rod and you'd have a got to outfit that won't break the bank but you won't feel the need to replace for quite some time.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
The two most used outfits will be a 50 lb oufit, (fish YoYo iron for Yellows) and that 40 lb outfit for flylining Sardines. If you're close, go into one of the shops like Bob Sands. They'll provide good advice, work within the budget, get your rods built for you. Find Jamie.

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I agree with everything that has been said. Try to find a trip sponsored by one of the reel companies. Personally I love my two speeds reels, even my smaller ones.

I suggest you contact some of the guys that repair reels and ask there opinion as to who has the bag for the buck these days and least amount of problems. I know all of those repair guys have come up with better ideas for most of the companies. I know that Cal Sheets did consult with Okuma a while back to make a better reel. Once you figure out what you like, check ebay. There is a lot of used reels out there and sometimes it just needs a little servicing. But I would be concerned about a rod on ebay, since they do dry out over time and become a bit brittle.

You should also go to the Fred Hall Show in March. All the reel guys and repair guys are there. Also the rod manufactures.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2011
Santa Monica, Ca.
Name
Tony O'Connell
Boat
Hardcore
With spectra you do NOT need a lot of outfits, its simply easier to retie a different weight leader to meet changing conditions. I would buy factory calstars (700 series) or super Seekers, as they have full warranties and are easier to resell if you don't like them. I would definitely buy good 2 speed reels. I like the Avet HX raptor as the best single reel for your purposes. The MakairaSEa 15 is also a great BAIT reel. I would fill them with 65# solid spectra and tie on a short fluoro top. Good luck. Longrange fishing is still the best bang for your buck around. T

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
Name
Benjamin R. S.
Boat
Thank you so much for all the helpful information. I will definitely consider the loaner gear from the boat. I do want to buy a few setups of my own to have for some of the local overnight boats as well. Doing some research on some of the reels should take some time. Seems like Seeker and Calstar are still the top offshore rods. Should be fun getting some good setups together and trying out all the new reels.

Reactions: arkansastuna
Upvote 0

fishcrazy

Apr 25, 2004
meridian,id
Name
ed
Boat
none
I have been out of the sport boat fishing scene for quite a long time. I have long since gotten rid of the majority of my gear, except for a 10' jigstick I couldn't part with.

I want to get back on the boats, especially the long range fleet, 8-10 day trips is perfect. I feel like I get more fishing time and opportunity for larger fish.

Anyhow, I need to buy gear. I was looking at the reels manufactured today and how pricey/expensive everything has gotten. It is what it is and life goes on. Back in the day the only 2 speed reel I used was a basic trolling outfit, a Penn international 50SW. That has long been sold along with all my other reels which were not 2 speed. I have been blown away by all the manufactures, I have no clue as to which reels are a better bang for the buck or the best quality. Not sure if warranty would come into play on reels or rods.

Do I really need the smaller 2 speed reels being built nowadays?
Are they really worth the extra cash when fighting the fish?

I have looked up the recommended gear list for 7-10 day trips from several boats and they all vary. For instance on the Excel they recommend spectra on all the reels while the Intrepid only suggest the spectra on the 2 heavier outfits. I'm a bit confused.

I want to do this right the second time around when purchasing my gear once again, not that the first time I bought all my gear was wrong, it's just times have changed big time when it comes to gear selection.

If I could get some advice from some of you who frequent the trips of 8-10 days in duration that would be great.

As of now I'm looking at trips until 2016 as I know buying a whole new quiver will be quite expensive.

I used to have all custom made Calstar rods with Laker colors. My rod builder Bob Tanji who used to have a shop in Montebello, has long since closed up shop and I need a new reliable rod builder near ELA ~ Monterey Park, I don't mind driving just not to far in traffic. Plus is there an online dealer who maybe selling reels for of course a better price than the store front retailers? Yeah that would be great, but if not I could still head over to Turners Or Sav-on-tackle.

Thanks guys
Benny
Go see Moe over at Fishermans Depot over in Bellflower. He does a great job any way you want, simple or complicated, cheap or expensive $$.

Reactions: daweez
Upvote 0

Fishnut

Jan 3, 2004
Lemon Getto
Visit site
Name
Bill
Boat
25' Skipjack Gut Barge
Benny, if you show on your profile that you are probably going on the Excel.They have a bunch of new Okuma reels. Both star & 2speed levers & seeker rods to help you in your choice.

Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
Name
Benjamin R. S.
Boat
More than likely leaning towards the Excel. Been on the Royal Polaris twice and once on the Excel. Both boats were very nice with plenty of room to fish and move around. At the time in the early to mid 90's, the Royal Polaris had what I thought was the best crew, while the Excel was nicer and lower to the water, which I enjoyed, the crew on the Excel was very young and seemed to lack that hard work ethic. I have no clue what the crews are like now, but it does seem like most of the long range boats have very good crews from reading on the interweb.

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
X 10 for the boat gear. And do a trip sponsored by a rod or reel company, to borrow gear. At least a trip sponsored by a tackle store. If your just getting back into LR, let someone else stock a little of your tackle box.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
If you want a few "bread and butter" setups for that duration of trip, here's what I would do:
Your 10' jigstick matched to a Newell 533, shimano Trinidad 20 or a TLD star 15/30 as a budget option
Seeker 6470 paired with an Okuma Makaira 10sea or Penn TRQ25N-LD 2speed. 40# bait
Seeker 6470H matched to a Shimano Trinidad 40N, pro gear yellow tail special (yts) or a narrowed penn 4/0. Dedicated yoyo/bomb rig
Seeker 6470H paired with an Okuma Makaira 15sea, penn TRQ25N-LD or 30-LD. 50# bait

But definitely use the boats gear for the heavier stuff.

Upvote 0

Riccochet

Almost A Member
Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
I'm on the Excel for an 8 day in July. I plan on using boat gear to supplement what I already have. They are charging me $50 to rent an Okuma Makaira 10 set up for the trip. Not a bad price and they are great reels! Saves me more $$ for lures, flouro, etc..

Richard

Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
Name
Benjamin R. S.
Boat
This is what I'm leaning towards as far as rods. The reels are already a done deal just waiting on the MK20IISEa to be delivered. Got some good deals on all the reels.
Calstar.. I had Calstar rods before and I will stick with this brand as it has never let me down.

T90J 9' 30-60 No real yet, sold off a Penn 114HN with Tiburone kit. Not sure what to go with now.
GF 700M 7′ 20-50 Okuma Makaira 10II Line size still up in the air.
GF 700MH 7′ 25-60 Okuma Makaira 15II This has solid 65lb Izor spectra.
GF 700XH 7′ 40-100 Okuma Makaira 20IISEa Line size is still up in the air.

The heavy rods I will likely borrow from the boat.
Any other suggestions on line for the MK 10II and the MK 20IISEa or Calstar rod blanks I might need that I missed would be appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    ...GF 700M 7′ 20-50 Okuma Makaira 10II Line size still up in the air.
    GF 700MH 7′ 25-60 Okuma Makaira 15II This has solid 65lb Izor spectra.
    GF 700XH 7′ 40-100 Okuma Makaira 20IISEa Line size is still up in the air.

The heavy rods I will likely borrow from the boat.
    Any other suggestions on line for the MK 10II and the MK 20IISEa or Calstar rod blanks I might need that I missed would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is the 15II topped off with the 65lb Izor? If not transfer that line to the 10II which could hold 450+yds of 65lb braid. This will be suitable for top shots of 30-50lb mono/fluoro.

The 15II could get 500+ yds of 80lb braid with 40-60lb top shots

The 20II could get 700+ yds of 100lb braid with 60-100lb top shots

Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
    Name
    Benjamin R. S.
    Boat
    Is the 15II topped off with the 65lb Izor? If not transfer that line to the 10II which could hold 450+yds of 65lb braid. This will be suitable for top shots of 30-50lb mono/fluoro.

The 15II could get 500+ yds of 80lb braid with 40-60lb top shots

The 20II could get 700+ yds of 100lb braid with 60-100lb top shots

The 15II is topped off with 65lb Izor Grade 1 Spectra, suggested by the a worker at Sav on tackle. Is this bad or can it still work?

Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    The 15II is topped off with 65lb Izor Grade 1 Spectra, suggested by the a worker at Sav on tackle. Is this bad or can it still work?

No, there's no bad. Just a question of whether 550+yds of 65lb braid is needed for 30-50lb top shots (the range I prefer to keep to for 65lb braid). Could still even fish 60lb top shots.

My suggestions were intended to evenly spread out the range of top shots from 30-100 lb among your three reels.

How much fitted on the 15ii?

Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
    Name
    Benjamin R. S.
    Boat
    No, there's no bad. Just a question of whether 550+yds of 65lb braid is needed for 30-50lb top shots (the range I prefer to keep to for 65lb braid). Could still even fish 60lb top shots.

My suggestions were intended to evenly spread out the range of top shots from 30-100 lb among your three reels.

How much fitted on the 15ii?

Not sure cause I was looking at the some other tackle while it was being done, paid $40 for the line. Reel is filled pretty much.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Hello Benjamin,

A 700XH is a 50 lbs or 60lbs max rod. You will need to acquire another rod & a couple reels...I recommend the following;

T90J 9' 30-60 = your preference 3/0 drag; 40 lbs (50 lbs spectra; 50yd mono leader)
    GF 700M 7′ 20-50 = your preference 3/0 star drag; 25-30 lbs (40 lbs spectra)
    GF 700MH 7′ 25-60 = Okuma Makaira 10II; 40 lbs (60 lbs spectra)
    GF 700XH 7′ 40-100 = Okuma Makaira 15II; 50-60 lbs (80 lbs spectra)
    GF 770XH 7' 60-120 = Okuma Makaira 20II SEa; 80-100 lbs (100 lbs spectra)

It is truly your decision and preference, but I know the gear listed above works for LR applications.

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Not sure cause I was looking at the some other tackle while it was being done, paid $40 for the line. Reel is filled pretty much.

Well, if it was $0.10 per yd then 400yds...the Accurate line calculator (http://www.accuratefishing.com/support/linecal.php) says 586yds...so being conservative with the 550+ yds.

Keep that one as-is.

The 10II and 20II recommendations still stand.

Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
    Name
    Benjamin R. S.
    Boat
    Jeff,

thank you much for the suggestions. It's incredibly helpful in getting my gear together. I'll look into the GF 770XH 7' 60-120.

Wai, thanks again for the line suggestions as well. Looks like you are in line with Jeff, with suggestions for the reels.

Upvote 0