Planning summer vacation with kids. Jackson Montana where to stay, what to do?

Discussion in 'Nonsense Anything Boards' started by Jason, May 12, 2015.

1. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Flying in to Jackson sometime in July. I have the whole month that the kids (4 and 8) and wife(still 36) are out of work/school so dates aren't a problem.
    5-6 days enough?
    I know we want to spend probably 2 days in Yellowstone.
    What else is there to do?
    Where do I stay?

goats-in-tree.jpg

2. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    7 days is plenty..5 is to short. IMO

Two days in Yellow Stone will be plenty....you can do all the tourist stuff, see all the natural attraction, and checkout the wild life.

http://www.oldtrailtown.org/
    Do this on the second to last day. Fly into Jackson whole, and fly out of Cody...
    There was a rodeo going on when we went. We got seat right above the shoots....it was bitchen.

http://mad-river.com/ I don't recall if this was the outfit we used, but I am sure you can find one that is ideal for you, the wife and kids...
    you can do the easy float, no big rapids. Ideal for families with little kids. The views are breathtaking.

http://www.codystampederodeo.com/tickets-and-deals.aspx

horseback riding

great hike...all flat, around Phelps lake. Great views and nature.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Trail-Grand_Teton_National_Park_Wyoming.html

http://www.jacksonholechamber.com/summer_fun/horseback-riding.php

If you want to do the DudeRanch thing, my friend goes every year with his wife and three girls...I can get the name of the ranch they stay at.

This the float tube trip we did.....
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Trips-Grand_Teton_National_Park_Wyoming.html

and we did this rafting trip in Cody....then hit the ghoat town, and rodeo, then flew home out of Cody.. So we spent five days in Jackson hole/Yellowstone, and two days in Cody....
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...iews-Red_Canyon_River_Trips-Cody_Wyoming.html

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  3. clintonstick

clintonstick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    g3
    the beaverhead river used to be a world class brown trout river,some very big trout in there

4. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Hit Mikey up. He was just up there with Carter and had a good handle on things.

5. Enfuego

Enfuego Your favorite Realtor

Name:
    Yusef
    Boat:
    None
    Make sure you spend at least a couple days in West Yellowstone. We stayed in some cabins that were very reasonable right in the Madison River. Fishing was amazing, scenery even better. I'll get the name of them from my uncle.

6. mattbush

mattbush Member

Name:
    Matthew Bush
    Boat:
    none at the moment
    Fish the Lamar River in Yellowstone. It's like that scene in Jurassic Park when the dinosaurs go running through the valley. There's usually bison cruising the valley and crossing the river, otters playing on the banks, and wolves howling up on the mountains. If that isn't enough, the fishing can be good.

Grand Teton National Park is incredible, too. Hike Death Canyon. Just a scary name, not a scary hike, but bring bear spray/wear bells just in case. Get your fishing gear at West Bank Outfitters in Wilson, WY... they can point the way to some fun stuff.

Bring some 12 x 50 binoculars if you have them.

I lived there for a year. There is more to do than you have time for, so pick a few things and have fun!

7. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Thanks, looking in to this it's pretty $$$$$ to get up there and stay. The park lodges/cabins/camping/etc is sold out for July :(.

8. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    I just cancelled all the places (I had 3 that we had to hopscotch each night since everything was sold out) we were staying because I found out my uncle is living in Island Park Idaho near the West entrance to Yellowstone.
    I just booked a resort in Island Park 10 minutes from him. He's a local fishing guide through a tackle shop and said just to get up there and he'll take care of the rest with keeping us busy fishing, swimming, rafting, wildlife viewing, off roading, Yellowstone, etc. Took a ton of pressure off all the homework!

Blackfish and widgeon like this.
  9. Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin one cast = one kill

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Jason, if you are not limited in time I suggest driving there. It is a easy beautiful drive from California. 15 North through Vegas and Salt Lake. You will see some beautiful country on the way and with your own vehicle you are not limited in what you can bring. Yellowstone will blow your mind. Big bucks and bull elk everywhere and CLOSE! Not too much in Island Park but West Yellowstone has everything. Dont spend alot of money on a fancy hotel room, because you will only shower and sleep there. You will want to be outdoors 99% of the time. As you can tell, I LOVE that place

10. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    YES DRIVE!! Took the family 3 years ago and one of the best vacations ever! Go to the rodeo in Jackson hole if you can and if possible go to the county fair, its late July normally. Stay cowboy village inn cabins they are awesome and can walk to rodeo/Fair

11. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Flying to Salt Lake City then driving up from there. 4 year old and 8 year old... Long drives don't do too well with them.
    Did the whole Grand Canyon trip for spring break and learned their limit.

12. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Ok, Fish Asassin and yellowklr just got me pumped with their replies! I wanna make this road trip with the girls bad now! Would this be a good drive to campout in a camper? Pros cons? How long of a drive, how many miles.

Sorry about the piggyback, but man would I love to be able to do this with the kids at some point in the near future.

Keep feeding Jason info, because I'm listening with interest!

The unknown fisherman:p:

13. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Go to Marcus' moms house.

14. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    Mike there are tons of places to camp,just not in July this late in the game.
    I found out Jackson was super expensive to fly in to and stay other than the motel 6. It's 2 hours from the entrance in to yellowstone.
    West Yellowstone is a little cheaper and seems to be more available for lodging.
    I want to do Jackson Hole again (was there in the 90's to snowboard) but not on a tight budget In July.

For 4 flying to SLC $700. Mini van rental for a week $500, lodging $1600 for the cheapest at this time. Food $1000, fuel $200, fun money $1000. Sure glad the wife gets paid decent lol...
    Driving and camping would be cheaper but I don't want to take more than a week off. Was recommended a minimum of 4 days in Yellowstone.

15. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    My friends went last year....they left after two days because the traffic jams in the Park were like the 5 Fwy during rush hour.

Fly into SLC and rent a motorhome....a big one so you don't have to turn around so much. :D

The uncle thing is awesome, have a great trip Jason!!

Jason likes this.
  16. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    I didn't think about the motor home, that's a great idea! I did look in to the rented travel trailers in the park but I couldn't find an available one in July.

I was going to take a tour with a guide to take that driving stress off and would think they knew where ther traffic was to avoid. My uncle says go at 5am and its wide open plus the wildlife is all out.

17. BigUglyDeafGuy

BigUglyDeafGuy Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Whatever's handy
    The tour buses & vans get stuck in the same traffic as the rest of us. Hit the gate early.

Check into flying to Billings and renting an RV here. ~3 hours to two gates, West is maybe 5. Likely no spots available in the parks but Hebgen usually has some open. Lower Slide Lake has a beautiful campground just north of Jackson.

18. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Sage advice.