Planning summer 2017 guys trip

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Ducky Duckworth, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Ducky Duckworth

Ducky Duckworth Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Curt
    Boat:
    Duck, Duck, Goose
    I'm working on preliminary plans for our guys summer trip. I'm stuck on where to go, Westport, Ucluelet, Nookta... Last August we tried Nookta. We had a great time but it's a long travel day and there were very few fish salmon last summer. Westport sounds appealing because the drive is shorter and good chance weather will be good in August. My concern with August at Westport is I've never chased tuna (fish) and I believe the kings are gone? Ucluelet, I know nothing about it. We are planning to use a 28' travel trailer and 28' Duck. Any suggestions on a location? Should I change our date to July or Sept? Should we make the location decision last minute?
    Thanks for any input.

2. tacklejacked

tacklejacked Capt./ Ho if I get to drive

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    If I where making that decision I would spend my hard earned US dollar in Canada next summer. No guarantee on WA seasons next year.

Fishwacker1 and BugeaterInWa like this.
  3. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Neah Bay would be my suggestion for early August.

If in late August; Ilwaco/Astoria. You can chase Fall Chinook in the river if the ocean isn't friendly for salmon and/or tuna.

I love Nootka too, but it's an every-other-year trip at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. gabe0308

gabe0308 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
    I would say give Nootka a try again. This was an unusual and spotty year. Normally the fishing is unreal in early August. There are lots of different places to stay from Critter Cove (near the gong show of people in Nootka) to Flynns Cove. (Up in the much more quiet Esperanza Inlet) How many guys? Start stocking up on Canadian money now with the way the exchange rate is. My family owns a house in Tahsis so I spend a lot of time up there year round. There is a bc forum that has almost daily posts for Nootka during the sometime so you can get a feel of how the fishing is. Nice thing about Nootka is that if the weather is crappy there are protected places to fish and if the weather is nice you can run out to the highway and other outside areas. I see you live in Anacortes and I would be happy to meet up sometime for a beer and share all the knowledge I have gained fishing that area the last 7 years. Well almost all my info as I don't give my near shore ling spots up. There are even some inshore areas to catch halibut up there.

5. SalishFish

SalishFish Member

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
    Also from Anacortes... it depends! August Canadia waters off the island is always an interesting option. Bamfield to Port Hardy. Could be good local in Anacortes but way early to guess. As to Westport, we went for several trips mostly leaving the boat there. Fished Kings...some good some not. Did 1 tuna trip which was slow.... then it lit up for September lit up for tuna and A7 remained dead. So....depends. We will be sailing in the Med and plan our return based on results...

6. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Depends on what you are after? You want quantity or quality? You want salmon only or salmon/lings/butts? That makes a huge difference on when and where. I would goto VCI. Go somewhere you have never been and have an adventure. With the exchange rate it has great value as well.

All of VCI is open for business..all the way from Port Hardy/Winter Harbour up north, to Sooke down south.

I was seriously looking at Sooke last year. They have a sweet hotel/marina combo that is a bargain, and a short ferry ride from PT to Vic. They have every fish you need as well. Salmon U has a great write up on it....and reports.

http://salmonuniversity.com/regions/british-columbia/sooke

This would be one of my top choices.....

Be safe all, Swanny

7. DaKanati

DaKanati Captain

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    272 Sailfish "ManCave"
    Personally I think Westport is a great choice. This year was tough fishing everywhere. With that said, as long as we get a season, the beginning of August should be great for all species, tuna ,kings, bottom fish, crabbing. And not to mention, logistically a much simpler and less expensive choice.

Rellis likes this.
  8. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Curt, we ran a couple boats from Anacortes to Bamfield last August and had an outstanding trip. We rented a great house on the inlet. Although fishing was not off the hook, we managed to bring home plenty of fish and the scenery was amazing. Cost of fuel was cheaper than trailering across on ferry and the run just added to the whole adventure.
    IMG_0644.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    BrickShouse likes this.
  9. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    A solid week of tuna fishing is pretty tough on a body. Granted, you're unlikely to get a week of calm enough seas to even want to fish tuna every day. August and September are typically great months though. This year was off from the past 8-10 years.

If salmon will be open, then you could alternate days, making it more realistic. Or, you could chase bottom fish the next day and filet your fish rightnkn the boat, after sitting in salted ice all night.

For shear variety and likelihood of daily fishing (comfortably) probably areas in Canada with access to protected waters. For an ass kicking great time and gobs of wonderful eating, I'd prefer 2-3 days of our albacore with a little crabbing and bottom fishing (maybe even cough, cough, cough, salmon) in between.

10. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    What about one of the boats out of San Diego? Easy flight, do a 2.5 day trip and make some exotic memories

11. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    Two words.... Costa Rica :D

12. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

Name:
    fishbadger
    Boat:
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    I'd put in another vote for fishing Barkley Sound out of Bamfield. We've been going every year for awhile now, and early August is prime. The offshore fishing can be great, and when it's blown up there are innumerable sheltered places to explore inside. Same basic fishery as Ukee only the "town" is a little more sparse, and the fishery is a little more accessible.

fb

13. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I would vote Ucluelet obviously the ferry and long haul stink which you already know from your Nootka haul. I like Ucluelet as you can fish inside if you need or want to. Getting out on the ocean is a 5 minute trip and you are 20-45 minutes to many salmon holes. You have lots of Ling and Halibut options as well. I stopped going five years ago when Westport salmon started picking up but have been thinking of doing another trip. Problem with Westport is you only have the Ocean so if things are blowing you are inside. But it is nice to have the Tuna/Salmon/Ling option out of Westport if the weather lines up. If you or your buddies have not done Tuna that would change my vote to Westport. Cant really make a bad choice given the options.

14. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    Bunny Ranch...

jasper hickman and Team Tom like this.
  15. Ducky Duckworth

Ducky Duckworth Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Curt
    Boat:
    Duck, Duck, Goose
    Thanks everyone, the info really helps jumpstart our discussion.

16. TwoTapPat

TwoTapPat Oh ya that's jazzy

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    High on the Goat
    Technically that's still chasing tuna right. And you'll still be wearing your rubbers.

Swede, Waterdog~ and BugeaterInWa like this.