Planning for Canning

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Hi Gang. The supply chain of canning jars and lids is still sketchy and intermittent.

Fred Meyer had a big display of canning jars, including pints and half pints, including wide mouth. Prices are about 1/3 higher than pre-panicdemic @FM. 14.99 for a case of wide mouth half pints.

They haven't had lids unless you are buying with bands.

Walmart is spotty on lids. they have had complete jars pretty regularly. i use this tool if i am searching for lids. I can see what stores by me has them.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=16213399

Be wary of the economical bulk lids you get on amazon they are chinese made and anything with oil degrades the thin rubber seal. A friend who is a good, solid canner, put up a lot of spaghetti sauce and out of 48 quarts had 36 fail at 6 months. The 12 that survived had the Kerr logo. She contacted the amazon seller and was told they aren't for food with oil. Ouch.

I got my retorts from Thom so am waiting for the tuna highway to open up.

Reactions: GregE

sharkster

Almost A Member
Aug 4, 2008
Westport wa usa
Name
Robert Anderson
Boat
17 Arima Sharkster
Sheritage call bi mart in aberdeen see what thEye have.
If none in stoak have them orider you some. They will call when hey are in.

Jan 5, 2011
Kenmore WA
Name
Kurt Kettel
Boat
18' Tiderunner
I paid $25/dozen last year so $14.99 is a steal. I also got some chinese lids (4 doz) & went ahead & canned 12 pint wide mouth jars/tuna....ate them first & no issues but definitely flimsy & I would not buy again. In fact, I sent the rest of them back & got a refund from Amazon.

Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES
Hi Gang. The supply chain of canning jars and lids is still sketchy and intermittent.

Fred Meyer had a big display of canning jars, including pints and half pints, including wide mouth. Prices are about 1/3 higher than pre-panicdemic @FM. 14.99 for a case of wide mouth half pints.

They haven't had lids unless you are buying with bands.

Walmart is spotty on lids. they have had complete jars pretty regularly. i use this tool if i am searching for lids. I can see what stores by me has them.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=16213399

Be wary of the economical bulk lids you get on amazon they are chinese made and anything with oil degrades the thin rubber seal. A friend who is a good, solid canner, put up a lot of spaghetti sauce and out of 48 quarts had 36 fail at 6 months. The 12 that survived had the Kerr logo. She contacted the amazon seller and was told they aren't for food with oil. Ouch.

I got my retorts from Thom so am waiting for the tuna highway to open up.
Something shitty from China is anyone surprised?

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Something shitty from China is anyone surprised?
    When we shop and find a deal made in China and the price is 75% less than most other sellers… we’ll… definitely should expect it to be sub standard….

China has many different standards, so I have seen quality “made in China” parts. I am rebuilding a Cummins QSB right now and many of the parts are made in China, but the materials, tolerances, and specs come from Cummins….

The engine is from all over the globe! India, Brazil, China, Mexico…..

Upvote 0

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
    Jul 5, 2004
    Dublin, CA
    Name
    Harold Head
    Boat
    1971 BW Menemsha
    Quality appearing or not, I stopped buying Chinese whenever I can. They are working out how to get CoVid19 sauce on everything.

Upvote 0

Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2008
    Normandy Park Wa
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    19' SeaSport
    I work for a subsidiary of Ace hardware and this is the guidance we are getting on Ball canning. " Ball will continue to have difficulty meeting demand for glass jars and lids for the canning category through the remainder of 2021 and . will remain on allocation through at least the end of 2021. Allocations are based on previous year's purchase patterns. We recently received the June allocations and they are up significantly to previous months to support . show BBOs. We are specifically hurting on the top four lids and bands skus (62301, 62302, 62303, 62304) that make up just over half of the outs. "

Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    When we shop and find a deal made in China and the price is 75% less than most other sellers… we’ll… definitely should expect it to be sub standard….

China has many different standards, so I have seen quality “made in China” parts. I am rebuilding a Cummins QSB right now and many of the parts are made in China, but the materials, tolerances, and specs come from Cummins….

The engine is from all over the globe! India, Brazil, China, Mexico…..
    A number of years ago China produced single port VW heads that had been out of production for years. They had the spec's from VW and it was a limited run of a few thousand. When they got over here and the first couple of hundred engines were built with them they had a 100 percent failure rate and they recalled all the rest to be destroyed. I know Cummins has factories all over the world and as long as Cummins has direct control of production they can be all right. When a Chinese company has control they'll screw you for a nickel like the VW heads.

Upvote 0