geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
hello, again, still trying to get on 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 day boat on a big bluefin trip out of Seaforth or Fisherman's H&M

my 'weekend', sic day, new moon (Nov 7th) are lined up for Wed-Thurs, but the bite is still looks sparse

seaforth noted yesterday Tribute got "11 bluefin (5 weighing in @ 200+) and 7 yellowfin" but no additional info

CAN ANYONE PUT THE CURRENT BITE INTO PERSPECTIVE for the BBF trips?

i've always tracked the full moon (fishing tuna several days prior) but never the new moon (if it shuts off a bite like a full moon)

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
your window of opportunity is dwindling. GOOOOOOOO
i can tell you first hand the BBF bite spiked awesome last November at least in the 50-150lb class in San Clemente Island area - and dwindled there through December

The tribute had 11 bft 70-275lbs.
thanks i saw that noted above - but didn't get the size of the 13 smaller tuna (70-plus you say, no peanuts)

my recent September trip, seaforth noted the larger size - 50lb plus - but didn't mention the majority were under 20 lbs (i know because i went on that trip)

just trying to get good info on what's actually being caught...

sounds like i may be putting my money on this week (1.5 day boat) and take my chances on finding some biters

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
what line the flyline sardines are biting and how the cows are being hooked would also be useful...

last trip (Sept 2018), 30lb flouro was too heavy for the fish we were seeing tho 25lb was getting bit on the few 50#s caught

muletrain

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
You won’t know unless you go

You are fishing for one bite and catching a fish of a lifetime

Be prepared

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
...You are fishing for one bite and catching a fish of a lifetime...
the fish of a season would be nice ... just wish my crappy job and limited budget provided more opportunity on the water

this computer dreaming has its limitations

someday virtual reality VR may change all that...

muletrain

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
My buddy fished the Aztec 2.75 day reverse trip two weeks ago.

30 LB fluro with small hook and a long soak got him a 50 plus pound BFT

Read the reports and all educate yourself

Most of the big BFT during the day are coming on the kite.

250-400 gm glow in the dark flat falls working in the dark

Good luck out there and post a report when you return

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Posted on another thread, very useful:

They're not at SCI they're on a spot around Cortes and Tanner with scattered fish and some schools elsewhere on the banks. They're eating 80-100lb if you can fly a dine on heavier tackle, and you really don't want less than 80. Just need them to pop up and you don't know when that's gonna be, you just have to go and hope for the best. The last full moon didn't bite, then it bit days later. Just go.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Go when you can. Plan to fish heavy and adjust down if necessary. If I were going again, I’d be starting with 80-lb and a 3/0 size circle hook.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Ok, if the boats go on Wednesday I’m going out - heavy

Now wondering the hours 1.5 day boats actually fish on Cortez and tanner banks area (versus travel time) - seems like it could limited, especially dark time for flatfalls

and what time the bites have been occurring recently

POST EDIT:

I went out on Mustang to Cortez bank - Capt said it was 89 miles there from Point Loma - took us about 12hours travel each way 25 bluefin for 15 anglers, all BF weighed 35-70 lbs, all caught flylining sardines READ MY REPORT

Last edited:

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
10 hour trip each way. It gets dark out fairly early now so you will get a little bit of night time action, but obviously not a full night. I’m with TOTW, heavy first this time of year.

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
...10 hour trip each way...
called seaforth for the Aztec (1.75 day, leaving this morning) and Producer (1.5 day, leaving tonight) to see where they are fishing on their BBF trips (both landings couldn't or wouldn't say) - i get any plan is tentative until underway and even then could change

however, seaforth quoted big BBF numbers on Aztec's yesterday trip, but the guy was clueless where they fished (SCI or the banks)

it seems an 8-10 hour boat ride to the banks and 8-10 hours back really limits the fishing time on a day and a half trip - a crap shoot

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Anyone fishing Bluefin right now is fishing Cortez/Tanner bank. ~95' miles from SD. 10 hours might be a little bit long, more like 9.

8pm departure, clearing the point by 9pm at 10kts likely means you should be fishing like 5am. Then to make it back to the point by 6am means you need to leave around 10pm, so over 14 hours of fishing seems likely to me, with several of those hours in the dark. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something.

Reactions: geebee

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
It's mostly a day time bait bite, the fish on Saturday were mostly flatfalls at dusk to dark from what the guys on the Tribute said. A 1.5 still gets a fair amount of time, but the more time on the grounds the better your odds.

Reactions: geebee

findtuna

Nov 23, 2011
OC
Name
James
Boat
Blackman 20' pilot house
Currently 4 SD fleet are about 60 miles west of SCI due military drill. May want to look into it further.

Screenshot_20181106-101445.png

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
...8pm departure, clearing the point by 9pm at 10kts likely means you should be fishing like 5am. Then to make it back to the point by 6am means you need to leave around 10pm, so over 14 hours of fishing seems likely to me, with several of those hours in the dark...
Producer (1.5 day BBF trip) departs 8pm Wednesday - returns 5am Friday

fishing/hunting time (conservatively) 6am-8pm thursday - that sounds worthwhile - is that about correct???

NOW if i could figure out why only one person is booked on Producer in last 12 hours (if it will go) ... how has the Producer done on the BBF lately

any more comments greatly appreciated...

Last edited: