Planning a trip to Catalina

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    What is dumber is saying that I'm going to "kill someone" just because i asked how long it would take to get to Catalina from San Diego? You turned this thread into something entirely different. If you have nothig positive to contribute then you should just keep your bored hands off the keyboard and place them on something you probably enjoy doing most of your spare time 🍆
    I said that you’re going to kill someone because of how clueless you come off as to operating a boat, not that one, single remark.

If you want to take the moral high road go for it. Talking about jacking off and siding with a guy whose into face shitting is far from it.

Here‘s some quality advice, don’t burn your tanks low unless you’re absolutely sure that they are debris free.

And since no one has stated the obvious, drive time depends on how fast you drive, duh! All boats have their unique traits. Following internet advice without due diligence is retarded. I‘m not sorry I’m not warm and fuzzy, maybe this wasn’t a boating thread at all.

Last edited:

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    I said that you’re going to kill someone because of how clueless you come off as to operating a boat, not that one, single remark.

If you want to take the moral high road go for it. Talking about jacking off and siding with a guy whose into face shitting is far from it.

Here‘s some quality advice, don’t burn your tanks low unless you’re absolutely sure that they are debris free.

And since no one has stated the obvious, drive time depends on how fast you drive, duh! All boats have their unique traits. Following internet advice without due diligence is retarded. I‘m not sorry I’m not warm and fuzzy, maybe this wasn’t a boating thread at all.
    Good enough i can appreciate that. Have a great day!

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Interesting opinion, considering you don't know what engines that boat has, especially since twin gas 454's were probably the most common configuration. Since OP may rely on your advice, you might want to explain your logic. Your experience in a 22' boat isn't relevant -- remember, this boat may displace 5x what yours does and likely has much larger gas engines.

All of that said, OP it would be great to hear how you actually do fuel wise, and what speed you travel at. I am guessing it won't be 10 knots (and 8 knots is probably an even better trolling speed).
    Here‘s why you’re wrong. General physics dictate burn rate patterns. Every boat, whether 15’, 25’, or 45’ boat will follow these same general trends but vary due to their unique traits. Any boat experience is relevant.

If the OP has the bankroll for this boat, Avalon fuel won’t break him. If he can’t figure out when to top off and how much to travel home on he needs to do A LOT more home work.

I called you a jerk for editing my quotation in a manner that made it look irresponsible when it wasn’t.

Your GENERAL experience doesn’t tell you SPECIFICS about this vessel. Your advice is equally reckless as there is no warning attached and he may follow your advice as well; as is the case with any internet advice. Since OP may follow your advice why don’t you recommend a USCG operators class, or top off and not risk it like I implied.

I figured, same as you, there’s no way he holds 10 kn unless it’s on autopilot. If he tried it without topping off at cat it’s about the same as doing 8 knots. It’s the same bad advice based off of generalization just at a different speed.

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    What is dumber is saying that I'm going to "kill someone" just because i asked how long it would take to get to Catalina from San Diego? You turned this thread into something entirely different. If you have nothig positive to contribute then you should just keep your bored hands off the keyboard and place them on something you probably enjoy doing most of your spare time 🍆
    Hahaha you’re trying for the least dumb advice you can find? You should start looking for good advice and take the best advice you can.

There’s plenty of my good advice on these boards, even in this thread. You’re just too butt hurt and arrogant to realize it. All info in this thread would come up in a variety of simple searches.

”If you have nothing positive..” SERIOUSLY? This is so fucking Karen! There’s a lot of good advice I’m throwing out. #1-don‘t be dumb!

If OP has bloodydecks it’s because it’s tampon fell out. If you’re looking for friends there’s a bunch waiting, just look for the 🌈 . Better yet, take it to allcoast.

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Here‘s why you’re wrong. General physics dictate burn rate patterns.

I called you a jerk for editing my quotation in a manner that made it look irresponsible when it wasn’t.

Your GENERAL experience doesn’t tell you SPECIFICS about this vessel. Your advice is equally reckless as there is no warning attached and he may follow your advice as well; as is the case with any internet advice.

I figured, same as you, there’s no way he holds 10 kn unless it’s on autopilot. If he tried it without topping off at cat it’s about the same as doing 8 knots. It’s the same bad advice based off of generalization just at a different speed.
    I guess you are having another bad day. Face it, you piped off with an opinion without knowing anything about the power for that boat. We now know it has twin gas in boards, and big ones (454s), just as I suspected. Those engines are the worst case for fuel efficiency. And it has less to do with general physics than thermodynamics and hydrodynamics. If you had any science background, you would know that.

I had a better basis for my opinion than you have for yours, but in any event, my advice was conservative -- not reckless. Moreover, I said "Maybe not" referring to whether he had the necessary range, and I then pointed out that 10 knots "could be" the least efficient speed. And I explained my reasoning.

As far as editing out your comment that he could get fuel in Avalon, I had already made that point and don't disagree with it. If I am a jerk for editing out the one thing you got right, then I guess I owe you a big apology.

And I am interested by your comment about not being able to "hold 10 knots" without autopilot. It makes me question how much experience you actually have. Autopilot controls the rudders, not the throttles. Being able to make 10 knots has nothing to do with steering the boat. And I don't know where you got the idea that I figured he couldn't make 10 knots -- My only comment is that it is likely to be very inefficient.

At this point, you are embarrassing yourself and destroying your credibility. And your personal attacks (call me a jerk all you want, I am referring to your crass remarks directed to others), but they don't persuade anyone of anything. You will get more respect around here if you don't make things unnecessarily personal. When you are digging yourself into a hole, first thing you should do is stop digging.

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    capture.jpg

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Hahaha you’re trying for the least dumb advice you can find? You should start looking for good advice and take the best advice you can.

There’s plenty of my good advice on these boards, even in this thread. You’re just too butt hurt and arrogant to realize it. All info in this thread would come up in a variety of simple searches.

”If you have nothing positive..” SERIOUSLY? This is so fucking Karen! There’s a lot of good advice I’m throwing out. #1-don‘t be dumb!

If OP has bloodydecks it’s because it’s tampon fell out. If you’re looking for friends there’s a bunch waiting, just look for the 🌈 . Better yet, take it to allcoast.
    You are truly a dumb ass! I've given you a way out and left it at that but you keep digging a deeper hole. My O.P simply ask "how long would it take to Catalina from San Diego " that was it! You then gathered from that one question that I am going to kill someone. You know nothing about me. I've never been to Catalina on this boat that ive owned for about a month. So I'm asking questions. You get it now stupid ass?

Reactions: QueenAnnesRevenge
    Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    You are truly a dumb ass! I've given you a way out and left it at that but you keep digging a deeper hole. My O.P simply ask "how long would it take to Catalina from San Diego " that was it! You then gathered from that one question that I am going to kill someone. You know nothing about me. I've never been to Catalina on this boat that ive owned for about a month. So I'm asking questions. You get it now stupid ass?
    How long it takes to get to Catalina depends on how you drive your individual boat. Get it? Advice from a dumb ass who never had to ask about running out of gas.

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    How long it takes to get to Catalina depends on how you drive your individual boat. Get it? Advice from a dumb ass who never had to ask about running out of gas.
    Ok, i get it if your going to get technical then yes my question may have been a bit elementary for someone as knowledgeable as you. However, you took my question to another level by stating that I'm going to "Kill" someone! If you can't see how anal you are then There is no point in fencing with an unarmed opponent 🤐

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Thought you were going away.

How long depends on many variables, most importan, how fast.

Another hot tip, make sure to find the island without hitting it.

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    I guess you are having another bad day. Face it, you piped off with an opinion without knowing anything about the power for that boat. We now know it has twin gas in boards, and big ones (454s), just as I suspected. Those engines are the worst case for fuel efficiency. And it has less to do with general physics than thermodynamics and hydrodynamics. If you had any science background, you would know that.
    no shit, I never claimed to be nice You still don’t know enough about THIS boat to make your advice any better. Maybe some people are impressed with the length of your posts, I’m not. thermo, hydro, drag coefficient it’s all general physics to me. Since you took the 3 hr tour joke totally wrong I’m not going to try to explain it to you.
    I had a better basis for my opinion than you have for yours, but in any event, my advice was conservative -- not reckless. Moreover, I said "Maybe not" referring to whether he had the necessary range, and I then pointed out that 10 knots "could be" the least efficient speed. And I explained my reasoning.
    Any advice without a full disclaimer is reckless. Maybe these are 500ci strokers with oversized wheels? Sounds like OP wouldn’t even know.
    As far as editing out your comment that he could get fuel in Avalon, I had already made that point and don't disagree with it. If I am a jerk for editing out the one thing you got right, then I guess I owe you a big apology.
    that’s a half assed-back handed apology keyboard warrior.
    And I am interested by your comment about not being able to "hold 10 knots" without autopilot. It makes me question how much experience you actually have. Autopilot controls the rudders, not the throttles. Being able to make 10 knots has nothing to do with steering the boat. And I don't know where you got the idea that I figured he couldn't make 10 knots -- My only comment is that it is likely to be very inefficient.
    Because he can’t steer, navigate, and operate the throttles to hold exactly 10 knots, neither can you without assistance, neither can I. I bet the boat in your avatar can’t hold exactly 10 knots over that route.

At this point, you are embarrassing yourself and destroying your credibility. And your personal attacks (call me a jerk all you want, I am referring to your crass remarks directed to others), but they don't persuade anyone of anything.
    I made a joke. When others talked shit (you) I threw it back. All I’m trying to persuade OP is that he sounds extremely naive. People love to call out butt hurt, that’s fine. I stand beside everything I have already said.
    You will get more respect around here if you don't make things unnecessarily personal. When you are digging yourself into a hole, first thing you should do is stop digging.
    Never throw out absolutes. Would you give this advice to a soldier digging a foxhole?

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Best advice:
    http://www.thejankovichcompany.com/marine/

Call ahead.

Before you go top off your Tanks, and do a 20 mile run at 10 knots, round trip. Top off tanks.

Divide 20 or total mileage by gallons burned. Get gpm or mpg.

Calculate using 2/3 of your tank (180 gallons) for range.

If you can't go there and back on 180 gallon$, go directly to Jankovich instead of the island first.

And get sea tow, or towing ins. With full coverage.

Ps: stay outta shipping lanes
    PPS: point autopilot at Avalon bank, not at the Island itself.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Best advice:
    http://www.thejankovichcompany.com/marine/

Call ahead.

Before you go top off your Tanks, and do a 20 mile run at 10 knots, round trip. Top off tanks.

Divide 20 or total mileage by gallons burned. Get rpm.

Calculate using 2/3 of your tank (180 gallons) for range.

If you can't go there and back on 180 gallon$, go directly to Jankovich instead of the island first.
    Thanks, I’ve been too cranky to type. Best straight up post on this thread so far, and all generic!

Better remind people this adds miles to the route, they’re having trouble with multiple variables around here.

And now back to answer the original question of how long? It’s still a 3 hour tour fuckers 😂 !

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    You are truly ignorant!
    From a guy who can’t figure out HIS OWN BOAT’S specifics.

Show me one ignorant post. I‘d show you your shitshow but apparently you wallow in it.

How long to cat? It depends. Get it? Do you know what on?

Clearly you‘re on here right now. What’s your true compass heading to cat?

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat
    Don’t really want to get involved in all the nonsense on this thread, but if you can’t figure out your boat’s fuel flow and navigation specs to Catalina, you might not be ready for this trip.

Get on your chartplotter and figure out the distance and then figure out your normal cruise speed and fuel burn rate of your boat. Obviously that can change with weather. There’s your answer. Nobody can give you an accurate answer to your original question, other than you. Good luck.

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Interesting opinion, considering you don't know what engines that boat has, especially since twin gas 454's were probably the most common configuration.
    Fuck, too bad no one suggested actually looking into what this particular boats performance is. Don’t look at post #7.
    Since OP may rely on your advice, you might want to explain your logic. Your experience in a 22' boat isn't relevant -- remember, this boat may displace 5x what yours does and likely has much larger gas engines.
    Dare you to post the definition of relevant! are physics not relevant? Your advice may be more relevant but it’s still not enough to plan off of without adding fuel or changing speed.
    All of that said, OP it would be great to hear how you actually do fuel wise, and what speed you travel at. I am guessing it won't be 10 knots (and 8 knots is probably an even better trolling speed).
    Oh, a stab at ACTUAL BURN RATES! What you don’t know everything?

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Ok, i get it if your going to get technical then yes my question may have been a bit elementary for someone as knowledgeable as you. However, you took my question to another level by stating that I'm going to "Kill" someone! If you can't see how anal you are then There is no point in fencing with an unarmed opponent 🤐
    Listen here butt hurt, boating is serious. Calling my seamanship anal is a compliment.

How are you going to navigate? That effects how much fuel you use? Troll over a high spot? Stop and fish?

honestly,START A LOG. Fuel at the island. Have fun. Hope you catch fish and have a blast safely.

2/3 is crucial. I’d want extra both ways to chase tuna. Pull feathers off the stearn. Be looking and listening. Or just have fun at Avalon.

since I’m a ass I’ll suggest something very relevant. 3 hrs to cat from Pt L will definitely kill your fuel economy and maybe your motors

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Mr. Salt -- I give up on you, but feel free to keep digging that hole of yours.

Therhomodynamic blowhard

edit:thanks for trying because you’ve been so polite from the get go. sorry I never gave a fuck.

It‘s nice that when I point out your hypocrisy you go back to petty games. You argue, you play games. honestly, I’m an addict with a troll face and that’s all you’ll ever know about me. I’ll admit it if I post shitty advice but neither of the gay lovers on this thread will. And this is what BD becomes a gay fest. I may be an asshole but I have a clear conscience.

Last edited:

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    You are, truly, pathetic. Once you calm down, you should consider the way you conducted yourself. It might be a character building moment.
    You’re spineless and give shitty advice. I’m doing fine without you. You’re no gentleman. All this over a fucking gilligans island quip and you lose your shit.

I may be low brow in a little boat with a bad attitude but you’re still here with nothing “relevant” to say rolling in the mud with me. It’s fine, I like BD this way. Apparently jihadi don’t mind too much either.