One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Im planning a trip to Catalina for the first time on my boat. Im in san Diego. How long will it take to get there from Point Loma. Thanks!

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Every boat cruises at different speeds. But it's approximately 80miles. More depending on area of cat you're trying to go.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Every boat cruises at different speeds. But it's approximately 80miles. More depending on area of cat you're trying to go.
    I have a 32 foot Luhrs with 272 gallon tank. At 80×2 miles round trip, should be fine if i travel at say 10 or so knots?

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    I have a 32 foot Luhrs with 272 gallon tank. At 80×2 miles round trip, should be fine if i travel at say 10 or so knots?
    Maybe not. 10 knots could be the worst (least fuel efficient) speed for that boat. It max displacement speed is well below 10 knots, but 10 knots is not fast enough to get it onto a clean plane. Are they gas or diesel engines? Especially if gas inboards, you aren't going to make it back. The good news is you can buy fuel at Avalon -- probably less than $10 per gallon.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Yes, there’s fuel at the island to top off but you should be fine there and back. Time to start a log if you don’t have a flo scan. 10 knots is perfect trolling speed.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    you should be fine there and back.

Interesting opinion, considering you don't know what engines that boat has, especially since twin gas 454's were probably the most common configuration. Since OP may rely on your advice, you might want to explain your logic. Your experience in a 22' boat isn't relevant -- remember, this boat may displace 5x what yours does and likely has much larger gas engines.

All of that said, OP it would be great to hear how you actually do fuel wise, and what speed you travel at. I am guessing it won't be 10 knots (and 8 knots is probably an even better trolling speed).

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Maybe not. 10 knots could be the worst (least fuel efficient) speed for that boat. It max displacement speed is well below 10 knots, but 10 knots is not fast enough to get it onto a clean plane. Are they gas or diesel engines? Especially if gas inboards, you aren't going to make it back. The good news is you can buy fuel at Avalon -- probably less than $10 per gallon.
    Yes engines are gas. I've owned the boat for approximately one month and just getting to know it. Thank you for the info.

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Interesting opinion, considering you don't know what engines that boat has, especially since twin gas 454's were probably the most common configuration. Since OP may rely on your advice, you might want to explain your logic. Your experience in a 22' boat isn't relevant -- remember, this boat may displace 5x what yours does and likely has much larger gas engines.

All of that said, OP it would be great to hear how you actually do fuel wise, and what speed you travel at. I am guessing it won't be 10 knots (and 8 knots is probably an even better trolling speed).
    The boat has (2) 454's and have not gone far on im just learning the boat and what it can or cant do.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    The boat has (2) 454's and have not gone far on im just learning the boat and what it can or cant do.
    You should buy some kind of fuel flow meter, or you will really have no idea how much fuel you are consuming or what mileage you get at different rpms and conditions. Its not like a car where you an overall average is pretty consistent. It probably varies by a factor of at least 3x. (On my boat, the variability is 8x.). I believe FlowScan went out of business but they were 99% accurate in my twin gas boat, which allowed me to have far greater range, with confidence, than if I just tried to take an average. Anyway, now that you have confirmed that you have twin 454's, I don't think you can make it at 10 knots, but maybe at 8. Next time you are on the water, notice how much harder your boat has to work (measured by the size of your wake), at 8 knots, 10 knots and 12 knots. Then get up on a good clean plane at 18 - 20 knots (ideally before your secondaries kick in) -- that may be your most efficient speed.

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    You should buy some kind of fuel flow meter, or you will really have no idea how much fuel you are consuming or what mileage you get at different rpms and conditions. Its not like a car where you an overall average is pretty consistent. It probably varies by a factor of at least 3x. (On my boat, the variability is 8x.). I believe FlowScan went out of business but they were 99% accurate in my twin gas boat, which allowed me to have far greater range, with confidence, than if I just tried to take an average. Anyway, now that you have confirmed that you have twin 454's, I don't think you can make it at 10 knots, but maybe at 8. Next time you are on the water, notice how much harder your boat has to work (measured by the size of your wake), at 8 knots, 10 knots and 12 knots. Then get up on a good clean plane at 18 - 20 knots (ideally before your secondaries kick in) -- that may be your most efficient speed.
    Great advice thank you!

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Nice of you to leave the part about fuel at the island out, jerk.

I have experience on a lot of boats. Honestly if OP can afford a boat like that and not figure out fuel to and from the island then he shouldn’t even go. There’s a ton of info on speed vs burn time. Engine displacement is only part of speed/fuel economy. Obviously trolling 10 knots is terrible economy. Taking strangers advice of the internet is just as bad.

I thought the 3 hour tour comment made it obvious I’m a little facetious

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Nice of you to leave the part about fuel at the island out, jerk.

I have experience on a lot of boats. Honestly if OP can afford a boat like that and not figure out fuel to and from the island then he shouldn’t even go. There’s a ton of info on speed vs burn time. Engine displacement is only part of speed/fuel economy. Obviously trolling 10 knots is terrible economy. Taking strangers advice of the internet is just as bad.

I thought the 3 hour tour comment made it obvious I’m a little facetious
    "Sometimes it's better to let people think you're a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Good point
    You apparently don't understand the real purpose for "Bloody Decks". It was intended as a friendly "go to for advice fishing community" where one can ask questions and learn or to give out helpful advice to those seeking help. If you are just going to be a sarcastic member of this community them perhaps you should just not reply to someone seeking honest answers or help. No hard feelings just giving you my honest opinion.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    "Sometimes it's better to let people think you're a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".
    Thanks for the coombya skipper!
    You apparently don't understand the real purpose for "Bloody Decks". It was intended as a friendly "go to for advice fishing community" where one can ask questions and learn or to give out helpful advice to those seeking help. If you are just going to be a sarcastic member of this community them perhaps you should just not reply to someone seeking honest answers or help. No hard feelings just giving you my honest opinion.
    Here’s some helpful advice, learn about your boat before you kill someone. Simple things like Time Over Distance aren’t vessel specific. With your display of captain’s knowledge you’ll give the SS Minnow a run for her money on the 3 hr timer.

Boating is no joke. You can play the feel good card but you’re still a joke. ‘Ol BD would tell you the same. Who are you to tell me what it’s all about? If the head jihadist wants to ban me I could care less.

MyNohag doesn’t know the specifics of your vessel and neither do you.

like this post if you like tits and hate dicks

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Weed through the Good Info you get from people on B.D and forget the other sarcastic comments. Some people will be Miserable all the life, Like someone rubbed dog shit in their face in the past and they can't let go! :cheers:

Reactions: Ultimate Catch
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Some people will be Miserable all the life, Like someone rubbed dog shit in their face in the past and they can't let go! :cheers:
    Maybe he just had a bad day. Sounds like he thought he would pick on the new guy with his 3 hour tour comment, and when that didn't get a response, he called me a jerk while bragging that he had intentionally given bad bad advice, and lamented the fact that he was alone in picking on this guy.

Maybe he will wake up feeling a little better today.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Nope, I’m still the same salty fuck. Guy can’t figure out TOD and you recommend he overnight at the island? That he try to build a burn chart off one trip? At least I’m letting him know he’s gotta Get his shit together. Sometimes reality hurts.

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Maybe he just had a bad day. Sounds like he thought he would pick on the new guy with his 3 hour tour comment, and when that didn't get a response, he called me a jerk while bragging that he had intentionally given bad bad advice, and lamented the fact that he was alone in picking on this guy.

Maybe he will wake up feeling a little better today.
    What and telling him to do it at 8 knots is a better idea?

You cut my quote short about topping off to look like a hero.

If he doesn’t top off near half tank halfway through a trip like this I could really care less. This guy is clearly ignorant and should at least take a USCG class.

Telling him to feel good and go for it while calculating fuel consumption by watching his wake is even dumber.

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Thanks for the coombya skipper!

Here’s some helpful advice, learn about your boat before you kill someone. Simple things like Time Over Distance aren’t vessel specific. With your display of captain’s knowledge you’ll give the SS Minnow a run for her money on the 3 hr timer.

Boating is no joke. You can play the feel good card but you’re still a joke. ‘Ol BD would tell you the same. Who are you to tell me what it’s all about? If the head jihadist wants to ban me I could care less.

MyNohag doesn’t know the specifics of your vessel and neither do you.

like this post if you like tits and hate dicks

What and telling him to do it at 8 knots is a better idea?

You cut my quote short about topping off to look like a hero.

If he doesn’t top off near half tank halfway through a trip like this I could really care less. This guy is clearly ignorant and should at least take a USCG class.

Telling him to feel good and go for it while calculating fuel consumption by watching his wake is even dumber.
    What is dumber is saying that I'm going to "kill someone" just because i asked how long it would take to get to Catalina from San Diego? You turned this thread into something entirely different. If you have nothig positive to contribute then you should just keep your bored hands off the keyboard and place them on something you probably enjoy doing most of your spare time 🍆

• Haha
    Reactions: HookEmDanO
    Upvote 0

Latest posts