Places to shoot around San Diego

eightmd

May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Doal
Boat
17' Nitro
Hey guys, I used to belong to the San Diego Shotgun Club out at Miramar but they closed for good a few months ago. I've started to look around for another trap/skeet range but there doesn't seem to be that many around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good places to shoot around North County or San Diego?

I would like to find a place that has both trap, skeet, and a rifle range. It doesn't even have to be the same place. I went out to the Project 2K in El Cajon on Sunday but there was like an hour and a half wait to get on.

If anyone knows of a good place or a club I'd like to hear. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Fishslayer

Tinfoil Hat
Dec 13, 2003
Ramona
Visit site
Name
Rick
Boat
MV Heywood Jabloughme
Upvote 0

kerncat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 2, 2005
San Diego area
Name
Opos
Boat
Gone to a new keeper
I shoot some at Project 2K out by Rancho San Diego...they have indoor pistol and rifle ranges and an outdoor shotgun range...very complete facility..clean, nice folks. I don't shotgun shoot anymore but the facility for shotguns looks very well done and complete.

It can be crowded as you mentioned but if you can shoot during the week it's not bad at all...soon the kids will be back in school and things will loosen up even more on the week days. There is a man on this board with the board name juststan that is involved in some shotgunning sports at one of the local facilities. I think he may be a range officer or something..I purchased a hand gun from him a while back and he mentioned his love for shotgunning and his involvement. Hope you can find him.

Upvote 0

eightmd

May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Doal
Boat
17' Nitro
Thanks for the replies. Project 2K did look pretty nice but looks like it only has trap and wobble trap, I think. I didn't see any skeet. I would really like to find a skeet range around. I'll probably try and contact juststan.

South Bay Rod & Gun Club does look like a long drive but also looks like they have more of a rifle range than most places. I'll probably check it out.

I did shoot up in Oceanside at Iron Sights. Its a good place. All indoor, rifles and handguns up to 25 yds. So it's good for hand guns, but I'd like something longer for rifles.

Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

Bad To The Bone

Not old...Experienced
Mar 17, 2004
Escondido
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold it!
I use Camp Pendleton for trap/skeet but like GRUNTO369 said, you need to be with somebody who is active duty or retired military. Pendleton recently shut down the pistol range and I don't know when or if it will reopen. You can also shoot at the Pala Indian Reservation range if you join the North County Shootist Association. It costs about $65/yr and they have quite a few organized shoots including long range rifle, pistol, and cowboy style. The rifle range goes to about 900yds and I don't know of any other in Socal that can match it. Open recreational shooting is on Monday's and Fridays. I go there a couple times a month to hone my long distance rifle skills. Here's a link to the Pala range. http://ncsapala.com/

Upvote 0

SDSHOOTER

Jul 31, 2008
POWAY,CA
Name
BILLY
Boat
N/A
I belong to Lemon Grove Rod & Gun Club. http://www.lemongrovegunclub.com/

The range is in Alpine. They don't have skeet, but they do have trap, sporting clays, rifle, pistol, archery & blackpowder. Check out the Shooting Events section on the web site. Lots of people from MiraMar shoot there now.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Project 2k does have a decent 5 stand which is good for hunting practice.

Upvote 0

stiffblade

Jul 21, 2007
Southern California
Name
Ricardo
Boat
None
P2k does not have a skeet range, it does have trap and 5 stand. Although summer is mostly over, the shotgun range is open till 9:00pm on tues., weds.,thurs. and is very well lit for night shooting. Plus if you reload you can get buckets full of hulls for free. Sadly they all go into the dumpster.

Going on sunday is a pain, most guys want to "shoot their wad" early in the morning before all the football games, which makes it really crowded.

Give it a try at in the evening.

Upvote 0

Fishslayer

Tinfoil Hat
Dec 13, 2003
Ramona
Visit site
Name
Rick
Boat
MV Heywood Jabloughme
I shoot some at Project 2K out by Rancho San Diego...they have indoor pistol and rifle ranges and an outdoor shotgun range...very complete facility..clean, nice folks. I don't shotgun shoot anymore but the facility for shotguns looks very well done and complete.

Went there a couple weeks ago on a Thursday afternoon. Not crowded, great shop, good people.

Best of all I was able to shoot my Mosin. American Shooting Center doesn't allow any steel in rifle ammo at all. P2K's rule is "No .50 BMG, no armor piercing ammo." :D They even sell milsurp 7.62x54R ammo.

Upvote 0