Pismo Clams Bag Limit in under one hour!

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
You do know what Clams feed on right?
Filter feeding bivalve. During summer months it can eat dinoflagellates and are extremely toxic if they do.

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
Filter feeding bivalve. During summer months it can eat dinoflagellates and are extremely toxic if they do.
Yup - Filter feeders.......

Just what I would want to eat...... a filter feeder pulled off a beach anywhere between Santa Barbara and Ensenada......

Go ahead.... enjoy......

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Pismos are better bait than food.

jacko

Apr 10, 2005
San Diego
Name
E
Boat
25 ft Parker
I used to go clamming down in Baja off Colonett. Stopped when having my head on my shoulders was more important than driving through TJ. Love to figure out where to go down here.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I would eat the clams before the local mussels.

tlcnate

May 1, 2012
San Diego- East County
Name
Nate
Boat
Bayliner 22' Open Bow
Aren't we all filter feeders and all that changes is the size of particle we are filtering? Ever eat liver and onions? liver filters out poisons we produce during exercise. Steak and kidney pie? kidney is a urine filter.

I don't think it is necessarily a problem but I do agree with the post about eating clams taken from near the Tijuana River or any place close to the border where you are only a couple of miles from Tijuana's "sewage treatment" plant which really is just a straight pipe going to the beach.

Get rid of the clam's tummy and eat away! Ahh, fried clams. YUMM

salty nuts

Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
There is a very good reason some things are left unsaid...... this is one of them.

Dont blow it!

The unknown fisherman:p:
Isnt this what happened to bugs also? When will people learn to STFU on a public forum?

Some day you will learn.

dstinger

Feb 18, 2009
San Diego, Ca and Sequim, WA. USA.
Name
Glenn with gas money for albie trips off La Push
Boat
Kayaks, sailboards, rowboats and driftboats
Isnt this what happened to bugs also? When will people learn to STFU on a public forum?

Some day you will learn.
Yah dudes..The gnarliest clamming is between TJ and LA where the water is polluted from 20-30 million people flushing everything down the drain and toxic storm drain runoff etc.. Science rules
Now you know where the clams are... Sorry I gave away the secret spot.... I look for sewer outfalls....
Press 1 for english to get the clam report... LOL

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
Aren't we all filter feeders and all that changes is the size of particle we are filtering? Ever eat liver and onions? liver filters out poisons we produce during exercise. Steak and kidney pie? kidney is a urine filter.

I don't think it is necessarily a problem but I do agree with the post about eating clams taken from near the Tijuana River or any place close to the border where you are only a couple of miles from Tijuana's "sewage treatment" plant which really is just a straight pipe going to the beach.

Get rid of the clam's tummy and eat away! Ahh, fried clams. YUMM

You might be a filter feeder but I don't bite turds or hazardous waste that may float by...

Enjoy your clams..........

seaquinn

Jul 17, 2008
San Diego / El Cajon
Name
Clif
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
Please, please do not overfish these. I have taken my kids for a few each year, but we are very conservative. In fact we have driven back to the beach the next day to release some at a different beach, hoping they will spread more. Usually just a couple will satisfy the taste buds. Savor the few, but anyone taking massive amounts will wipe them out.... I believe. As my kids know, it's not always about catching your limit, but limiting your catch. Think back to the good abalone years.

Ocean-tendency

Sep 24, 2007
Vista, CA
www.linkedin.com
Name
Christopher Davis
Boat
Prowler 13
Yes Clams are filter feeders, but they also have a gut cavity which is where the toxins acumulate, which is also what you throw away or add to the chum bucket; mussles don't have a gut cavity..So if you put your clams in a live well or 5 gal bucket with water, they filter themselves out and purge all the crap out. What my buddies and I normally do is let them filter out for a bit, but on the way in you fill up additional 5gal buckets, get to the dock, dump you water, put clams in the empty 5gal bucket of water, let it go for about 24 hrs, and then change to your next bucket for another 24hrs. They will be so purged out and clean, you can eat 'em raw with no worries. But then again I don't get out near a river or sewer pipe.

The trick is what to look for when hunting for them, then using XXXX...but not letting that cat out of the bag on those tips.

sam1963

Jun 6, 2007
Huntington Beach
Name
Sam Murphy
Boat
12.5' Fish N Dive
Great :finger:

S

South Bend

Thanks for posting this. Going to have to get a group of guys up here in OC and do a road trip down to SD and start getting our limits of clams. Going to stop by the DFG office and get a multi-day permit, so we can get triple limits. Thanks again.:D

duarte97

Jul 21, 2009
brawley/ca./imperial
Name
daniel
Boat
none
best way to eat them are grilled with onion,tomato,cheese,and shrimp all chopped up after you open them..... just precook your clam so that it opens!! ;-)

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
The other day i saw this girl with a bucket of clams skipping down the beach.She had a small dog with her.The dog couldnt have weighed more than 22 ounces.
:Zombie_Ro:rockin:: farmer :

I aint said shit!

Mainphrame

May 11, 2010
Oxnard, Cali
Name
Leo
Boat
12' AMI Inflatable Cat
Pismos make a bomb clam chowder and are best corn mealed then fried. I havent had any issues with regards to getting sick. Sure they are filter feeders but so are our local scallops. Turbulent and sandy beaches in malibu and oxnard are where i frequently freedive though.