Pismo Clams Bag Limit in under one hour!

tlcnate

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2012
San Diego- East County
Name
Nate
Boat
Bayliner 22' Open Bow
I've noticed there are no posts on clams more recent than three or four years ago. Has everyone given up of clamming in San Diego?

I've been doing some surf fishing in and around San Diego. Had some luck but nothing to get excited about. On Sunday I went clamming instead of fishing. I found a "sweetspot" for clams. Bag limit (ten) in just under an hour. Clam chowder anyone?

I had been looking for about twenty minutes from the edge of the wet sand out to about 2 1/2 ft of water before I found the first one. Once I did that I started looking in the same depth. They seem to be two or three in each spot. Nice fat Pismos. The smallest one I got was about 5 inches with most running in the 6 to 6 1/2 inch range.

While I was there a surf fisherman walked over to see my catch. He said he caught a 25" halibut on a worm lure so they are near shore. He said he threw it back. Costco has wild-caught halibut for $17.99 a pound. At that price there is no way I'd throw back a legal but! Maybe I'll try fishing that spot in few days.

There are a lots of mussels too but I only picked about 4-5 lbs. My wife showed me a large one at the bottom of a rock and I wanted to show her it was just a half shell wedged under the rock. I used my big toe to pull at the shell. The shell broke in half and sliced a dime-sized chunk of meat off my big toe. After that, pulling mussels wasn't as much fun.

I processed the clams. Two lbs of meat. I placed it in ramekins for freezing and vacuum packed them. Same for the mussels except those I went ahead and cooked before packaging.

I am pretty well stocked on sea food. I guess I am goingto have to start eating more fish which is what my doctor keeps telling me to do instead of baby back ribs.

Attachments

Last edited:

ibwill

Sep 30, 2009
imperial beach, ca
Name
william blake
Boat
10' caribe "rubber ducky"
How do you prepare your Pismo clams? I know where and how to get them but not much success on the eating end,

bunske123

Oct 18, 2011
longbeach/ca/usa
Name
bun
Boat
idk
Wow. Those are huge. Where can I find them? Lol I never went clamming before except for pismo beach which was a fail.

live2fish

I've got bugs...
Apr 3, 2005
North OC
Name
Eric
Boat
14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
Nice haul how do you collect them? By hand or p fork?

ocurtis

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Owen
Boat
Hobie Outback
Pismo Clams aren't that hard to catch, they have a hard time breaking your line or getting out of your hoop net. Only thing I say is, if you are harvesting, Please do not take more than you can eat. Although they are easy to get, if we start over-harvesting, this precious resource will be gone. Pismo's grow at 3/4" per year, so a keeper is 6 years old (4.5 inches).

Just keep this in mind. If any one is interested, PM me for a killer recipe and for tips on how to locate them. Once again, Please only harvest what you eat!

rodngun762

Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
Cool first post! Good reminder that our marine resources we have can be pretty diverse.

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Nice clams!
I'm hoping to get out for my first clam and oyster harvest in the near future.

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Clam spots are usually not made public in an open forum - that's why there isn't any current info.

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
I do not go until water is nice and cold
No one i know who is alive goes until its nice and cold. Hint. Hint
Clam up

tlcnate

May 1, 2012
San Diego- East County
Name
Nate
Boat
Bayliner 22' Open Bow
Quite a few comments posted. Thanks guys (and ladies)! Here are my replies:

1- I never take more than I can eat. Sometimes I take more than I can eat at one seating but for that I freeze and vacuum pack for later use.
2- My wife loves these in a clam cocktail. She simply mixes some Clamato, onions, celery, diced carrot, lime or lemon, catsup and then adds the chopped raw clams. Topped with chopped cilantro and she and gobbles away.

You can also make chowder or breaded fry clams, or if you want to impress your wife and/or girlfriend you can cut into small cubes, add a bit of onion, garlic, parmessan, and bread crumb. Toss lightly, set into the clam shell (cleaned and washed) and top with a bit of bechamel sauce. Bake in a 375 oven and they are excellent as an appetizer.

I used a Brinkman Roasting Stick to help me find these babies. You can see what it looks like here: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...&langId=-1&keyword=039953521492&storeId=10051

This thing works really well. The tines are thin and slide in the sand easily. Only problem is the metal handle portion is a bit weak and tends to bend. I am looking at having one made with a sturdier and longer handle so I don't have to stoop over so much.

Once I hit something hard with the stick, I push it into the sand next to me and start digging with my hands. It's nice because the surf will not carry the stick away (at least not in the short time I have to dig).

The clams are usually about 4 to 6 inches deep and the clam spot is...

On the west coast on the Pacific. Ha! I am NOT giving everything up!

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
ban this post please

Thozguys

Professional Geek
Jun 16, 2008
Cape Coral, Fl.
Name
Rob
Boat
Hydro-Sports 2800 Vector Walkaround
There is a huge clam bed at Zuma beach. They are plentiful and quite large, but the area is located in an MPA, so these clams will never be havested in my life time.

gillyd

CPTANGLER
Mar 29, 2007
LA/OC
Name
gilbert
Boat
EL COYOTE CREW
the best way to eat them is sashimi style! raw1 just clean out the stomach content and chop in small pieces, and just add limon and tapatio! thee best! or on the grill until they open and do the same steps! i could eat them all day long!!

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
:shake:Be very careful where you get your clams. I saw some dude digging some up and they were black. That didn't surprise me because it dumped out of the TJ river. Just nasty. I asked if he was going to use for bait and he replied, "No, to eat!".