Pismo Beach Surf Fishing Report

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by WhyMe, Mar 21, 2019.

1. WhyMe

WhyMe Talk shit... Get hit :)

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Mako CC
    Headed out to Oceano Dunes SRVA on Saturday night with my adventure rack setup that I built for my Ram 1500. Got there a little early and decided to take a nap in the truck. *am rolls around, I check in and deflate my tires. Made entry onto the sand and crossed my fingers for an easy river crossing. I was in luck and it was only about 6" of water ripping into the ocean from the canal. I follow a guy through and all of a sudden he stalls out. Water got into his engine compartment and wet his distributor. Lucky for him, I pulled in front and hooked up a tow strap and saved his ass.

After doing my good deed for the day, I carry on towards the end of the beach near the reserve area. Well, good deed number two found me and I pulled an F350/Toyhauler out from the sandy pit he dig himself into. Two good deeds equal a good fishing trip right?

I walked the beach up and down a little bit to find the sand crab beds. I did manage to find them everywhere I went. Many beds scattered along the whole beach. The sand crabs were freakishly large! About the size of a golf ball. There were many nickle and quarter sized sand crabs holing eggs too. But I stuck with the artificial baits.

I set up camp and walked down to the water with an 8lb setup, Carolina rig with camo sand-worms (9' BPS Johnny Morris med/light with Abu Garcia Revo S40 8lb IzorXXX)
    First cast first fish! It was wide open fort a good two hours until the tide went low. Most of the fish averaged about 8"-10" with the occasional 12"-13". Once the fishing slowed down, I changed over to the Lucky Craft (9'4" Californian Tri-Helix By Phenix with Abu Garcia Revo SX40 20lb Suffix 832 straight to the lure) This rod by the way is the best rod I've ever used for surf fishing hands down!! A few casts into it i hook up. One nice thing I've noticed about using LC is that you get less fish by weeding out the smaller ones. But don't get me wrong, those small ones get hooked too when they are aggressive.

I fished well into the night as the full moon really helped a lot. The bite never stopped all day long. When I left Monday morning, I headed south to Guadalupe County Beach 18 miles away. Sand and weather conditions were the same. I caught a couple quality fish on the LC and left with intentions of fishing there next time i head up to Pismo. All in all it was a great solo trip. Took some fish home to mom and dad. Soon after we had fried BSP for dinner they asked when I was going back. Til the next trip!

D4C1A625-05CA-4552-95BD-80494B4E075D.jpeg 491DF580-58CD-4154-BD94-9BE8017FCBA4.jpeg 61EBDE99-5309-4B48-AB38-FB14F67E03E7.jpeg 465CCA92-F119-4AE5-891C-9D4D53D31291.jpeg 3D64E340-1554-4888-B925-A70D1257624E.jpeg 32BBB3EC-9A42-4536-B35C-BA9DE68F9BCF.jpeg CF3958AF-70DD-4607-833B-5DDBD215B72E.jpeg 784EA391-B300-4C01-9FF8-22A49850100E.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Neat report.A little off roading,camping, and fishing.

WhyMe likes this.
  3. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Thanks for the report, nice set up you have for that. Too much crap on that ribeye though, been better over the fire but what do I know

WhyMe likes this.
  4. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Awesome fishing/camping rig you got there,your living the surf fishing dream for sure,nice looking grub also,thanks!

WhyMe likes this.
  5. hdz805

hdz805 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jesus
    Boat:
    Fishkilla
    That’s a report ! Well done !!

6. WhyMe

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Mako CC
    I raise my own beef so, growing up we were tsught Salt and pepper (Lawrys) on that ribeye only lol

7. talltale

talltale Member

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
    Great report! You're living large there brother. Last time I fished there I got a tip from some japanese who were killing the perch. They were using boiled sand crabs. They turn red when you cook them. I don't think anybody does that down here. Going up there in May with wifey. No fishing this trip.

Cubeye likes this.
  8. WhyMe

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Mako CC
    That sounds interesting. If I can remember, it would be worth the shot to try something new. I did notice that the asians up there were using shrimp and cut mackerel marinated in some kind of red oil.

9. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    Very nice! Great job on your rig.

WhyMe likes this.
  10. Fish headz

Fish headz Newbie

Name:
    Salt angler
    Boat:
    Still looking
    Nice set up!...I wonder if anyone got any stripers out there yet that’s what I’m trying to catch from the dunes I heard of a few caught last year

11. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Tepui!My neighbor has one setup like that on his tacoma,we got alot of people drunk at tepuifest,lol.

WhyMe likes this.
  12. WhyMe

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Mako CC
    I catch them here and there almost every year. You just need to be on time with the spring and fall migration when they come south from the bay. I spoke to a dude out there that mentioned some stripers off of Guadalupe beach recently

Fish headz likes this.
  13. WhyMe

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Mako CC
    I'm loving this tent. Didnt know they had a fest too Might have to check it out.

14. Fish headz

Fish headz Newbie

Name:
    Salt angler
    Boat:
    Still looking
    What do most guys you use to catch them bait or lures? Most guys I hear from are fishing for perch and end up with a occasional striper but I want to target just striper but I know perch are still going to bite...Should I just use lucky craft 110s?

15. WhyMe

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Mako CC
    Yes definitely lucky craft. You'll catch more perch than striper though. They are not usually that easy to find.

16. FAT TONY

FAT TONY Newbie

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    None
    Nice catch. I like the set up on your truck. Gonna to have to hit up that spot one day.

WhyMe likes this.
  17. AndyJ

AndyJ Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat:
    18.5 Cobalt
    Lucky Craft SP Minnows are deadly for fresh and salt stripers. A bit queasy throwing a $12 lure on 6lb test but it's a blast.

WhyMe likes this.
  18. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    WhyMe likes this.
  19. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz