Pipe jigs

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by zmanszmail, Feb 25, 2010.

1. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    Seems in the Ocean when you drop a pipe jig down you get a bite shortly thereafter. Inside, I have not had any success with pipe jigs. None of the guys I know have had any luck inside either. We all leave them on the beach when fishing inside now.

Just my opinion.

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    For jigging in the Straights the best I have found for Hali is the berkley 8" saltwater power grub on a jighead. Any color will do as long as it is white! For Lings in the Islands smaller jigheads with less expensive 7" curly tail grubs in white or rootbeer/motor oil are the ticket. I am sure if you tried copper pipe jigs long enough something would hit them but it is hard to deviate from what I have confidence in.

EJ Swanny likes this.
  3. fishwacker

fishwacker Member

Name:
    Rodney
    Boat:
    24' north river
    This is how mine are set up

1427222061522.jpg

Line '79 likes this.
  4. robodad

robodad BullShitoligest

Name:
    Allen
    Boat:
    26' Olympic XLF
    Since were showing how, here is what I do and I don't lose as many at the rock pile and have no trouble catching fish on them !! Also I have had some excellent success in the straits with pipe jigs so they do work but I still think bait is more effective inside !!

[​IMG]

Cohoho likes this.
  5. Jaksonbrown

Jaksonbrown Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    28' Kingfisher Weekender "The Wild Rose"
    If anyone wants to sell a few to help cut the cost of producing their own, I would be interested in buying some. Drop me a PM if you have some for sale.

Thanks.

6. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Sorry to bring this up again guys,,,just feel lazy and not searching through a ton of threads.....basic question:

How and when can you use treble hooks...obviously no barbs on any type of hook, but treble only for bottomfish/halibut/lings...and even though a treble has three hooks, still one treble=one hook? And no treble for salmon...

Never used them, and thinking they are only viable on pipe or slab jigs?? Thanks and don't mean to de-rail the thread....

Swanny

7. blackelk

blackelk Wishing I was Tuna fishing

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
    barbless only inside. in the ocean they are allowed for bottom fish

8. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Thanks Mike - So barbless "single" (up to two) hooks only on the inside for all fish.....is west of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line considered the "ocean"?

Thanks, Swanny

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  9. lucerunner

lucerunner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ken luce
    Boat:
    Blue Kai
    that would be inside ocean is west on this side of mississippi

EJ Swanny likes this.
  10. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    I like the circle hooks. I've been using them more and still can't figure out how that little opening makes it happen (hook up), but it does. I've never lost a fish once hooked with a circle hook and never had a gut hooked fish. Started using them when I was living in North Carolina and they made a believer out of me. When using bait, remember not to set the hook, let the fish seal it's fate. Since I'm not usually paying attention, this is perfect for me...

Currently, my pipe jigs are rigged with one MASSIVE treble attached mid length with an HD swivel held on with a SS cotter pin and they have worked well. All fish I catch with those trebles are lip hooked and easy to release so the issue of bait swallowing with a standard hook isn't an problem, but those single hooks are much less expensive.

That kid Tommy (CF) taught me that keeping hooks off the bottom of your pipe jig reduces snags which I quickly observed. It looks like this set up keeps the hooks away from the bottom where the pipe is making contact with the rocks.

Nice little "extra" with the caps on the tops! Don't really think you need them, but it shows attention to detail. I take about six inches of solid #12 copper wire, twist it around a swivel, bend a few twists in it, set it in the pipe and pour the lead to anchor the attachment point.

Pipe jigs are nice because if you feel the weight, you are fishing. Although I like a good workout, reeling in 400 feet of line to see if I still have bait gets old.

11. clarktar

clarktar Newbie

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Looking...,
    I am in Port Angeles. I would be interested in seeing how you make these if you any time... Cheers!