I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
how important is it to have the hook connected to a swivel?
IMO it is critical. Big Lings will twist and turn and that pipe jig becomes a leverage point to pull the hook. You have already spent the money on pipe,lead and hooks. Couple dollars more on a swivel and you are golden

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
how important is it to have the hook connected to a swivel?
Very important to use a swivel unless you enjoy having fish (especially big lings) come off when they twist and roll... If you enjoy that sort of thing then bypass the swivel.
I prefer catching and eating the fish so always use a swivel.

T2shortB

Nice fanny pack Fag!!!
Jul 6, 2009
Belfair, WA
Name
Todd Brown
Boat
Defiance 250EX GOT FISH?
Y'all are ALL TALK, NO PICTURES.

Make 'em like this:

View attachment 182763

12" - 14/0

8" - 10/0

Yes, I know, I need to pinch the barbs before I hit the Strait, but they sure look purty, don't they??
thanks alot for the help, i finally got a chance to make some, i melted dive weights in some angle iron on a slope with a propane torch and dripped it into the pipe. hopefully they catch fish!!!
These are how I rig mine for the most part. One exception is that I now add a split ring between the cotter pin and the swivel. With the right twist, your swivels will bind on the cotter pin and the leverage will brake/separate your swivel. This happened to me once (was more than likely a one in a hundred chance of it binding) I use 200# boone black crane swivels. I was able to recreate this on the beach after the trip. It doesn't take too much force to snap a swivel in half when the force is across the swivel. Roll the bones will never let me live that day down!

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
Here's how i set mine up

View attachment 578326
James - A couple pointers:

1. Add swivels btwn the cotter pin and hook.
2. Go with HD Cotter Pins that wrap around the pipe jig and secure it with heat shrink tubing and/or the lead pour itself.
3. You don't want the treble hook below the bottom of the pipe.
4. Go with all HD hardware (all swivels, rings, etc). Lingcod love to destroy undergunned gear.
5. I prefer a swivel in the top of the pipe jig instead of the side.

Hope that helps.

GOOD LUCK!

TOMMY

Last edited:

Grady226

Apr 17, 2009
Marysville,Wa
Name
Gary
Boat
22' Grady White
If u put the hook in the middle of the pipe the hook should not flip up and tangle in your mainline or dropper leader.
20140422_165817.jpg

Just forget about that thing on the left...they dont work..lol

Reactions: TwoTapPat and Jermz

Titan

Jun 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Kamen
Boat
Dinghy
Those Norwegians are deadly, but man, are they a snag prone lure. Has anyone tried fishing them with stinger hooks instead of the treble on the bottom?

Reactions: Grady226

BugeaterInWa

Fear the Corn
Aug 10, 2008
Kitsap WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boulton
How much weight is needed in the straits (PA) I know big tides/winds will require more.
Seems in the Ocean when you drop a pipe jig down you get a bite shortly thereafter. Inside, I have not had any success with pipe jigs. None of the guys I know have had any luck inside either. We all leave them on the beach when fishing inside now.

Just my opinion.

Wild Bill

Remind me again why I own a boat
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
For jigging in the Straights the best I have found for Hali is the berkley 8" saltwater power grub on a jighead. Any color will do as long as it is white! For Lings in the Islands smaller jigheads with less expensive 7" curly tail grubs in white or rootbeer/motor oil are the ticket. I am sure if you tried copper pipe jigs long enough something would hit them but it is hard to deviate from what I have confidence in.

Reactions: EJ Swanny

robodad

BullShitoligest
Mar 5, 2012
Port Angeles
Name
Allen
Boat
26' Olympic XLF
Since were showing how, here is what I do and I don't lose as many at the rock pile and have no trouble catching fish on them !! Also I have had some excellent success in the straits with pipe jigs so they do work but I still think bait is more effective inside !!

Reactions: Cohoho

Jaksonbrown

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2010
snohomish,wa
Name
Cory
Boat
28' Kingfisher Weekender "The Wild Rose"
If anyone wants to sell a few to help cut the cost of producing their own, I would be interested in buying some. Drop me a PM if you have some for sale.

Thanks.

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Sorry to bring this up again guys,,,just feel lazy and not searching through a ton of threads.....basic question:

How and when can you use treble hooks...obviously no barbs on any type of hook, but treble only for bottomfish/halibut/lings...and even though a treble has three hooks, still one treble=one hook? And no treble for salmon...

Never used them, and thinking they are only viable on pipe or slab jigs?? Thanks and don't mean to de-rail the thread....

Swanny

blackelk

Wishing I was Tuna fishing
Sep 11, 2010
Montesano, Wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
barbless only inside. in the ocean they are allowed for bottom fish

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
barbless only inside. in the ocean they are allowed for bottom fish
Thanks Mike - So barbless "single" (up to two) hooks only on the inside for all fish.....is west of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line considered the "ocean"?

Thanks, Swanny

Last edited:

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
Since were showing how, here is what I do and I don't lose as many at the rock pile and have no trouble catching fish on them !! Also I have had some excellent success in the straits with pipe jigs so they do work but I still think bait is more effective inside !!

I like the circle hooks. I've been using them more and still can't figure out how that little opening makes it happen (hook up), but it does. I've never lost a fish once hooked with a circle hook and never had a gut hooked fish. Started using them when I was living in North Carolina and they made a believer out of me. When using bait, remember not to set the hook, let the fish seal it's fate. Since I'm not usually paying attention, this is perfect for me...

Currently, my pipe jigs are rigged with one MASSIVE treble attached mid length with an HD swivel held on with a SS cotter pin and they have worked well. All fish I catch with those trebles are lip hooked and easy to release so the issue of bait swallowing with a standard hook isn't an problem, but those single hooks are much less expensive.

That kid Tommy (CF) taught me that keeping hooks off the bottom of your pipe jig reduces snags which I quickly observed. It looks like this set up keeps the hooks away from the bottom where the pipe is making contact with the rocks.

Nice little "extra" with the caps on the tops! Don't really think you need them, but it shows attention to detail. I take about six inches of solid #12 copper wire, twist it around a swivel, bend a few twists in it, set it in the pipe and pour the lead to anchor the attachment point.

Pipe jigs are nice because if you feel the weight, you are fishing. Although I like a good workout, reeling in 400 feet of line to see if I still have bait gets old.

clarktar

Jul 1, 2015
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Looking...,

I am in Port Angeles. I would be interested in seeing how you make these if you any time... Cheers!