Pinhead needs help with Pinheads...

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Aight I'm trying to figure this out, but it's the Seeker PH D8.

What is the actual rating of this rod. I think it's 20-50.

Seeker says it's 20-40

I pick it up and say, this is a 40lb rod.

Then out of the blue someone says it's a 30-60lb rod and there a bazzilion of them.

Then I see the one D8 on the Seeker list and question if I should just sell all my tackle for a dollar and pick up golf.

We only talking about this glass rod btw.

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
It's just me but there is no such thing as a rod that I would choose to use both 20 and 50 lb line...even 30 to 50 is a huge difference in how hard I pull...never understood how rod rating was calculated so i just depended on feel to rate em myself....
I always assumed it was the narrow down in the middle what line you were using. The shorter the gap the more deliberate the weight.

AWilliams

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Can't help you with your query but this is honestly exactly why I sold/selling all my Seekers and only keeping 1 of them. Too much grey area about the LB/OC origin, make up, materials, rarity and ratings. You just don't those petty issues and controversy here with Calstar and Cousins etc...which I like better anyway. Good luck.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
I'm with FISHKILR..... that "rating" is just a guidline..... otherwise some "moron" would fish 100# on it and cry it broke.

It's all about your "style". Some guys use the rail.... some guys use the harness... Some guys just muscle that fish. Only you know how HARD YOU PULL.

Personally I can tell pretty quickly with a tip and backbone test. Use your buddy... have him hold that tip (without breaking it) and pull and hold. You'll know.

If not brother..... go back to splitting the "guideline". Eventually in your fishing career you'll know what works for you.... regardless of what it says. Be safe out there.

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
I'm with FISHKILR..... that "rating" is just a guidline..... otherwise some "moron" would fish 100# on it and cry it broke.

It's all about your "style". Some guys use the rail.... some guys use the harness... Some guys just muscle that fish. Only you know how HARD YOU PULL.

Personally I can tell pretty quickly with a tip and backbone test. Use your buddy... have him hold that tip (without breaking it) and pull and hold. You'll know.

If not brother..... go back to splitting the "guideline". Eventually in your fishing career you'll know what works for you.... regardless of what it says. Be safe out there.
Well the one good thing is that I know what works for me. I have more then enough time on the water to figure that out.

I still need to figure how hard I pull though. One time I got spooled on 4lb flouro and the othertime I flipped a 30lb yellowtail into the bait tank.

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
Ive had multiple D8's. Some felt like 25lb rods, some 30, and some 40. Never had one feel like a 50lb rod. My current wts d8 feels like a 30lb bait rod. Really soft tip, but shuts off good and strong backbone. But I wouldnt fish 40lb on it. Its too soft for 40lb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Efishient

Efishient

Mar 5, 2018
Torrance, CA
Name
Evan
Boat
I wish
I fish 30 on mine and it seems to be a sweet spot for it. I agree with Hector, I wouldn't fish 40 on it, seems to light for 40

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Calicos to marlin...... All on the same rod. Even use it to troll BFT.....lol. Can double as a "lift pole" on wide open bites. Yep.... With THAT rod you can leave all the other's at home.

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
I fish 20 to 50 on my D8 just depends on what the fish want to eat. Not about the rod really...
But my D8 isnt a pinhead its a fancy unicorn. All the people trying to make money off seekers are trying to claim theirs are the same as something else. A lot of it is just in the marketing! Fishing gear catches more fisherman than fish, believe that! How would seeker get you to buy more rods if you didn't have gaps to fill.

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
I fish 20 to 50 on my D8 just depends on what the fish want to eat. Not about the rod really...
But my D8 isnt a pinhead its a fancy unicorn. All the people trying to make money off seekers are trying to claim theirs are the same as something else. A lot of it is just in the marketing! Fishing gear catches more fisherman than fish, believe that! How would seeker get you to buy more rods if you didn't have gaps to fill.
If their motivation is to get u to buy more gear then making a 30 lb difference for one rod does the opposite for guys that buy into those numbers.
For guys that do understand the 30 lb spread is ridiculous they dont want to buy from a company that either doesnt understand this or will market any way they see fit to sell their product regardless of reality...

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
There are numerous "rod" companies that utilize a #30 spread in their rod rating systems.... All the way up and down the spectrum. Take any 8' foot rod and cut 12" - 18" off the tip..... sure changes everything....right? What use to be a #20 rod.... now does #30 - #50 all day long.

I do agree with you....it's toooo broad a rating, but standard fair in the business.
ALL/ MOST BRANDS.

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
My point was to answer why is the D8 rated differently with different line ratings

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
The d8 rating is based on the glass used. E glass is rsted lower than s glass most of the time, so a ss may be used as a 40lb stick while an e glass is rated 30lb.

Dont trust what other people tell you its rated as. Call seeker and find out. From what I know, the seeker PH D8 is rated 20(30)50lb. Seeker does their rating and in parentheses, thet tells you what the actual rating is. It also says you can use it as a 50lb stick, but not as much drag. I wouldnt put more that 10# of drag on my D8 because 12# of drag bends it past 90*. I have never seen a d8 rated higher than that, so thats just some bad information or a mislabeled blank.

Pull on the blank and get a rating for it yourself. Put a tip on it, and attach a barbell to it. Whatever bends ot to 90* is the amount of drag it can take. Use the chart below to see what the line rating for the drag is. That will give you appropriate line rating.

As you can see from the chart, you can fish 50lb mono at 10# of drag. Which would in turn give you a 20-50lb rating, because you can fish it with drag down to 6lb and still get a little bend in the blank.

Screenshot_20191025-124041_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Chicago Pete
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Well this has been a unique read. Seems to be that y'all say fk as well and just pull on what ever line feels rights.

That chart doesn't help to much... just an fyi. I fish 40lb at like 21lbs without a bend in the rod. Never broke off on straight mono.

Reactions: woodfish330

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Well this has been a unique read. Seems to be that y'all say fk as well and just pull on what ever line feels rights.

That chart doesn't help to much... just an fyi. I fish 40lb at like 21lbs without a bend in the rod. Never broke off on straight mono.
Drag settings are another thing...
Never used a scale..
There are times when I want total lockdown like kelp or structure bass fishin ...kelp and shallow water structure yellows or even patty yellows...
I adjust my drag often even during a fight depending on what the fish is doing making precise presetting useless...
Fishing the heavy gear knowing what your strike setting is definitely helps but otherwise at least for me drag changes are constant...

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Drag settings are another thing...
Never used a scale..
There are times when I want total lockdown like kelp or structure bass fishin ...kelp and shallow water structure yellows or even patty yellows...
I adjust my drag often even during a fight depending on what the fish is doing making precise presetting useless...
Fishing the heavy gear knowing what your strike setting is definitely helps but otherwise at least for me drag changes are constant...
This. Pretty much the same for me. I just know by pulling line off the reel how close I am from breaking off from experience.

Reactions: woodfish330

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
This. Pretty much the same for me. I just know by pulling line off the reel how close I am from breaking off from experience.
We check or set a newbies drag and tell them dont touch it to increase their offs of landing but that doesnt apply if you know what your doin..
Lots of guys who fish alot use a scale with lighter gear to set drags and then try not to touch em when pullin ...
Makes it entertaining when were fishin yellows....

Reactions: CommanderPinhead
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
We check or set a newbies drag and tell them dont touch it to increase their offs of landing but that doesnt apply if you know what your doin..
Lots of guys who fish alot use a scale with lighter gear to set drags and then try not to touch em when pullin ...
Makes it entertaining when were fishin yellows....
even on 20lb you can pull pretty hard. fishing the islands with 25lb it's pretty much set it and forget it.

Reactions: maurice escobedo