Piney Point Gypsum Stack release Disaster!

MackMan

Almost A Member
Jul 9, 2012
Florida, USA
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
What has happened to Tampa Bay is absolutely ridiculous. We should all be angry at this situation, allowing all this waste water to sit idle for years knowing this would happen eventually. The future of Tampa Bay is now in Jeopardy, we are already seeing signs of elevated algae levels. Red Tide is blooming to the South of Tampa Bay, when these two merge it could be an unprecedented disaster.

wnowlin

slow pitch
May 22, 2017
riverview, fl
Name
walter nowlin
Boat
roberts snooker 171
We send water that is high in nutrients and toxic algae to the gulf and atlantic from lake okeechobee. We dont send enough freshwater south to the everglades and florida bay. The fish and wildlife commission pays companies to spray way too much herbicides in our fresh water lakes, kills the plants and harms the whole food chain and destroys the water quality.

Reactions: MackMan
Upvote 0

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    Such a bummer. I didn’t know killing the plants in lakes and such was a smart idea considering the whole ecosystem thinamabobber lol

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy

I can't find it on line, but I watched a PBS documentary on Floridas natural springs last week while visiting the Keys. I'm not a tree hugger, but the film was very compelling. There is no doubt that Florida has some major issues. Main factors, development and the demand for drinking water, agricultural runoff, as well as street runoff.

It was depressing, and eye opening.

Here is a link to about the Documentary.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...on-floridas-struggling-springs-301269008.html

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MackMan

Almost A Member
    Jul 9, 2012
    Florida, USA
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    Sorry for the slow response. Yes Florida has some serious issues at hand regarding water quality, and even land usage. Fortunately alot has been done to resolve lake O problems with the new reservoir being built. We still have more of these phosphogypsum stacks around Tampa Bay. They are ticking time bombs.

Upvote 0