mikeyairtime

Fish Magnet
Apr 14, 2007
Lomita, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
"Julia J" & "Berzerker"
Quarter inch plywood with six ounce glass inside and out. 3/8 where the windows go in.Spend time on design. Looks are very important on a boat. A boat is a she and should be pretty. Every single panel on a boat tapers or radiuses, nothing is straight up and down 90 degree. If you don't pay attention to the tapers and radius' you'll have a phone booth stuck on a boat. Do not overbuild with 1/2, the fiberglass and tapers give it strength.

Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
Im probably incorrect but 1/8 aluminum as side walls does not seem near enough strength to support a person on the roof.. But again, what do I know..
I welded up mine out of 1/8" Aluminum, plenty strong. I didn't design it to have someone up there full time while under way but could of with some slight changes. No matter what, you have to add some structural support to the sides and walls, plus the majority of the sides and front panels are framed glass adding to the rigidity. I also finished the inside with foam lined upholstery. We cruised around the Delta in 90+ deg. weather, no feeling of PH being a heat sink because of it being metal. A couple weeks ago we fished for Sturgeon and it stared raining on us, it was nice to get inside stay dry. Aluminum, FBR, cored all have their advantages and challenges, you have to decide what your talent's are most compatible with, mine is welding and fabrication,,,gregg

weld ph1.jpg weld ph2.jpg weld ph3.jpg skippy on trailer.jpg

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
I welded up mine out of 1/8" Aluminum, plenty strong. I didn't design it to have someone up there full time while under way but could of with some slight changes. No matter what, you have to add some structural support to the sides and walls, plus the majority of the sides and front panels are framed glass adding to the rigidity. I also finished the inside with foam lined upholstery. We cruised around the Delta in 90+ deg. weather, no feeling of PH being a heat sink because of it being metal. A couple weeks ago we fished for Sturgeon and it stared raining on us, it was nice to get inside stay dry. Aluminum, FBR, cored all have their advantages and challenges, you have to decide what your talent's are most compatible with, mine is welding and fabrication,,,gregg

View attachment 742204 View attachment 742205 View attachment 742206 View attachment 742207

Nice work!

That last picture looks like a stock pilot house. Great job integrating the pilot house into the hull, perfect!

Reactions: fishnfool101380
Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Im probably incorrect but 1/8 aluminum as side walls does not seem near enough strength to support a person on the roof.. But again, what do I know..
    1" or 1.5" square thin wall tube as your framing would be fine. No dancing on it by your crew thou.[emoji238] [emoji207]

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    A friend of mine is building a glass over foam pilothouse for his 28' Stingari hull. Very light considering how large it is

20140404_154802.jpg 20140404_155214.jpg

Upvote 0

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
    Los osos
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
    I wouldn't stand on the pilot house.
    But like boatless boater said ( you have to use your strengths)
    I'm better at welding and fab than I am a fiberglass.

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0
    Jun 21, 2005
    Riverside CA
    Name
    Craig
    Boat
    Wellcraft Nova 250 XL
    Broke boater .

Im a trying to figure the approximate size of your house. What size are your windows? Whats your head height inside? Etc etc

Upvote 0

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
    Norcal's Brentwood
    Name
    Gregg
    Boat
    Broke boater .

Im a trying to figure the approximate size of your house. What size are your windows? Whats your head height inside? Etc etc
    I don't remember the sizes, but I can do a quick measurement. I keep the boat inside my sons shop at his place. I'm planning on another Sturgeon trip sometime this week and I'll get the measurements then,,,gregg

Upvote 0
    Jun 21, 2005
    Riverside CA
    Name
    Craig
    Boat
    Wellcraft Nova 250 XL
    I am having trouble with design. It would be greatly appreciated if any decent photoshop guys or whatever could lend me a hand here. Im stuck!!

20160206_084618.jpg 20160206_084651.jpg 20160206_084629.jpg 20160206_084555.jpg

Upvote 0
    Jun 21, 2005
    Riverside CA
    Name
    Craig
    Boat
    Wellcraft Nova 250 XL
    I have attached some Pdf's for scaling purposes with dimemsions.

PDF#1 (front) Dim A = 8" Dim B = 75 1/2"

PDF#2 (profile) Dim A = 84" Dim B = 8" Dim C = 3 1/2"

from the top of dimension "C" the side wall of the pilothouse 46"-48" for head clearance.

Attachments

• front.pdf
      5 MB · Views: 55
    • Profile.pdf
      5.7 MB · Views: 38
    Upvote 0

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
    Norcal's Brentwood
    Name
    Gregg
    Boat
    I'm not sure of your question. But if your looking for input on a direction to go, I think this is a good match for your hull. The lines of your hull need a more modern sweep to the PH. Sportcraft Pilothouse,,,IMHO,,,gregg

sportcraft boat.jpg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I'm not sure of your question. But if your looking for input on a direction to go, I think this is a good match for your hull. The lines of your hull need a more modern sweep to the PH. Sportcraft Pilothouse,,,IMHO,,,gregg

View attachment 743198
    So much less functional than a forward leaning house though. I would personally go with the back of the house matching the angle of the transom and the front windows leaning fore.

But it's up to you, these are just opinions!

Upvote 0
    Jun 21, 2005
    Riverside CA
    Name
    Craig
    Boat
    Wellcraft Nova 250 XL
    So much less functional than a forward leaning house though. I would personally go with the back of the house matching the angle of the transom and the front windows leaning fore.

But it's up to you, these are just opinions!

I agree, now I cant decide if I should go 2 segment front or 3. As you can see, my pilothouse will rest where the windshield was and that is a "V" shape. I am considering glassing that in and making the center flat then two sides pitched back. Another idea on my mind is, should I begin the forward rake immediately or go square / plumb up from the dash for 8-10" then rake forward.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I agree, now I cant decide if I should go 2 segment front or 3. As you can see, my pilothouse will rest where the windshield was and that is a "V" shape. I am considering glassing that in and making the center flat then two sides pitched back. Another idea on my mind is, should I begin the forward rake immediately or go square / plumb up from the dash for 8-10" then rake forward.
    25', seems like three windows would be right. I would personally model the Farallon houses.
    c191a3ffe337db5e7ff19f5cd3993d1e.jpg

Upvote 0

furniture 4 me

Jun 16, 2008
    perris/ca/usa
    www.OFBoutdoors.com
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    17 crusader
    you forget i have built a ton of boats and parts and tooled molds. the material you where going to get, Did you ever get it?
    Strength not an issue, Design is the issue......

Upvote 0

FatBoy4130

Jun 7, 2012
    RSM O.C
    Name
    B Wolfe
    Boat
    FATBOY
    b2a6b8a6904e0f04273b7c5fa7b566d0.jpg

Built this all glass house with a Balsa Core Roof that bolts on, Beat the crap out of it no stress cracks so far rain x and no wipers, 1700$ with windows I have a build link on here make it happen you will thank yourself everytime you leave the dock

Upvote 0