Pilot Whales, Sharks and Rubba Hooks

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by dausualinc, Jun 5, 2010.

1. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    I'm following up one of my better fishing trips in a long time with one of the tougher ones. Don't get me wrong it was still a nice day on the water but I've never had so many misses or fish lost to predators in my life. We went about 2 (fish) for 10 (strikes).
    I left Hawaii Kai at 0600 ran the ledge up to Makapuu, one knock down, Ono never stick, did clover leaf in the area, nada, kept pushing up past makapuu and found a small bird pile out in the deep. I see a good sized shibi grab a 5" ice blue (my most productive lure), and start ripping line. Then pilot whales showthemselves and tuna gets eaten, lost lure, lost fish, pile dissapears.
    Keep heading to T bouy manage to get a couple of 3-4 pound shibi then the white tips show up eat a couple of shibi that we hooked and took my brand new saltiga, lose money. I decided to leave the area because I was tired of losing gear, Trolled the rest of the day with several more knock downs but nothing stuck, at one point I wasn't even sure my lures had hooks in them. In the end I realize the pilot whales and sharks gotta eat too. The fish are out there, go get um, R.I.P. 5" Ice Blue

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
  2. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Kekoa,

HARD LUCK... But most of us have days like this and it certainly creates a renewed intensity, at least for me. Yep those saltigas are certainly pricey little critters for the size of them. Not to sound too selfish but if at all possible could you keep the pilot whales on your side? We must have seen 1000's of them on Thursday and in quite a few places. You'll go 10 out of 10 next time.

Pat
    http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/hawaii-fishing-reports/145372-rubber-hook-syndrome.html

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  3. aj1976

aj1976 Newbie

Name:
    aj
    Boat:
    23 Seacraft
    Thats how the ocean keeps you humble...ha ha. Not saying you weren't tho. But days like that make me want to go right back out there and fish even harder. thanks for the reports. keep 'em coming.

4. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Yup yup, those predators gotta eat too.... Too bad you can't train um to leave the lures alone. Bumbai they learn...

5. hiloboy

hiloboy Okinawaiian Sencho

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
    Brah, sorry to hear about your bad day, I feel your pain! Losing a Saltiga az gotta hurt!! Hang tuff Brah!

6. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    Hope things turn up brah, and keep those whales in Kaneohe!!!!

7. Randy K

Randy K Newbie

Name:
    Randall Kosaki
    Boat:
    21' Force
    No worry, brah. All good lures will eventually wind up on the bottom of the ocean. Only lures that never get hit last forever (I have lots of those). Just gotta hope that a good lure catches its share before leaving your spread for good.

8. molokaipake

molokaipake Newbie

Name:
    capt clay
    Boat:
    24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
    Maybe next time you should try dragging some dynamite? I heard blubber is ono? Just joking....

9. drew2578

drew2578 Newbie

Name:
    Analu
    Boat:
    19ft.
    Yup I've more than a couple trips like this... Last year I think I lost five lures... This year I'm already at one :) It's real odd on those days that the fish don't stick... RIP Ice Blue 5"er.

10. force21

force21 Oldie

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    21 Force JAYMIELYN
    Das why hard Kekoa, no mo fun if da fish only jump in da fish box. You going get um da next time!

11. jgerken

jgerken El Capitan!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    32 Rampage,GO IRISH!
    Better luck next time! At least you were out on the water. Thanks for the report!!!

12. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Hey Kekoa,
    I'm replying to you all the way from sunny Florida.....boy I thought we had it hot in Hawaii....lol...lucky you stay in Hawaii! It is some humid and hot here.....good thing for air conditioning! Hard luck on those rubber hooks and lost fish/lures. Das okay because you still got good memories and hopefully some good sash left from the other day with that toad Ahi you caught! Like you said, still had a great day being on the water and enjoying nature????.....somethings are priceless! talk to you when I get back.
    Russ