Pilot 111 Thailand

Discussion in 'Anywhere Fishing Reports' started by adiballz24, Jan 2, 2017.

1. adiballz24

adiballz24 Member

Name:
    Adrien
    Boat:
    Seafox cc 17 (FOR SALE)
    hey everyone! I fished the pilot 111 fishing park in the outskirts of Bangkok dec 28-30. This is my first time fishing at one of these fishing parks. They seem to be extremely popular in Thailand. This lure only park is made up of about 8 ponds and contain several species including barramundi snakeheads catfish etc. So I thought it would the easiest thing in the world catching fish here. The first day I struggled to find confidence in a bait but eventually got the mojo back! The giant snakehead fishing was pretty good. These Aggressive fish would destroy and top water bait that pissed them off! DSC_6774.jpg

I even caught a nice red tail catfish and Mekong catfish on a lucky craft Sammy top water bait! DSC_6834.jpg But the most fun fishing I experienced here came as I was about to leave. The owner told me she had a New Years surprise for me to fish "the big fish pond"? Of course I said yes please! This pond was loaded with 10-20 lb barramundi. I was using 20lb fluorocarbon and a jerk bait. My lure gets hammered! Breaks me off in seconds! Same thing with the next 2 fish on soft swimbaits. Luckily some nice Japanese anglers hooked it up with some 40lb fluorocarbon. Then it was on! These hard fighting fish started to eat any well presented lure. Swimbaits, top water rat, but most of all they loved my Reebs bolt thrower in firetiger! These fish hit hard, pull drag, and put on quite the jumping display! barra (1 of 1).jpg I've been using a okuma nomad inshore Rod and a Shimano curado 300. I use this set up a lot when traveling and I've caught fish from bass to tuna and everything in between. All in all it was a great experience and it's always fun to catch new species! If you're ever in Thailand check out one of their fishing parks and see for yourself! Thanks for reading!

Also I have a travel/fishing instagram page if ur interested in checking out some my adventures! @thefishingnomad

2. Icantswim

Icantswim Newbie

Name:
    Pele'
    Boat:
    WetSpot
    Awesome report!

3. mogambosquid

mogambosquid Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
    Very cool! I'll hit it up when I'm in Bangkok this March.

4. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    That snakehead looks like the choupique I used to catch with my dad in Louisiana!

5. tap

tap "The Roving Angler" BD Writer

Name:
    Tony Pena
    Boat:
    n/a
    I didn't fish those ponds when I was in Thailand. They are shown on TV but no one explains how they work. Obviously they are artificial impoundments with stocked fish. Is it all catch and release and you pay by the hour or do you pay for each fish you take per pound? Are the fish edible (water quality issue)? What is the approximate baht/dollar cost? I prefer wild fishing but at least those fish take artificials.

6. Capt. Scott Goodwin

Capt. Scott Goodwin Capt. Scott Goodwin

Name:
    Capt. Scott Goodwin
    Boat:
    Glasser 16'8
    Cool report. Thanks for sharing. You just made the front page of BD Outdoors.

7. princefredo

princefredo Member

Name:
    alfredo
    Boat:
    Hobie Mirage "Master Baiter"
    That's awesome. Wish I was older and wiser when our ships would pull into Thailand. I would have loved to go fishing. Only thing I caught was a soapy

8. adiballz24

adiballz24 Member

Name:
    Adrien
    Boat:
    Seafox cc 17 (FOR SALE)
    Thanks guys! well you pay by day. During this visit it was 500 baht (about $15) a day. Pricey compared to others in the area. Most people catch and release but they do have an option for them to cook your catch for you although I did not do that. I assume the water quality is similar to farmed fish. every fish seemed to be healthy and put up a good fight! Yes i would also prefer wild but it seemed to be popular so I thought Id give it a shot and had a blast!

9. OutKasting

OutKasting Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    none
    I am so glad I read this. I will be in Bankok in a little less than a month and I really want to do some fishing out there. my main concern is the gear. I was told you can buy gear for relatively cheap out there, so there is no need to take my own, but would an outfit like this rent what I need to be successful?

10. adiballz24

adiballz24 Member

Name:
    Adrien
    Boat:
    Seafox cc 17 (FOR SALE)
    They had a few spinning rods for rent there. You could get by but a stiffer rod and baitcaster is my preference for lure fishing. I found one tackle shop and prices where similar to the US. I'm sure if you went looking you could find gear. There are many tackle shops, it was just difficult for me to get around on a budget! Good luck you will have a blast!

OutKasting likes this.