PIERPOINT LANDING NOSTALGIA

freegaff2

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
I'm going to say early 50's...I started fishing with Cookie on the Hurricane as an 8 year old kid in '56, and none of the boats the landing was running then were shown in this brochure...Hurricane, Hornet, Sea angler...

Reactions: elreytut

here'smymule

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
There is a picture, or at least there was, at "Pacific Edge" that corresponds to the brochure It is of the landing about the same time as brochure.
I stayed up late to watch "Fishing Flashes". I remember two episodes or segments; one on catching squid for bait and the other about "that guy"- depicting how not to behave on a boat. Guess some things don't change much.

larry dickson

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip
Used to watch that show to. One episode in the early 60's I remember was the "America" at Cortez bank, having a lot of trouble, the anglers couldn't get the big mossback yellowtail to the boat because there were so many big black seabass trying to eat them. So they got off the bank a ways and had very good albacore fishing to finish the trip. Really enjoyed the shows. Mac McCintlock I beleive was the host. Great Memories!

newtauk17

Feb 5, 2010
Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
Name
Kohei
Boat
18',Robalo
Yup. I was a dock rat in the late '60s. What a great place Pierpoint was. Fished on the barge - Davy's Locker (?) to start with. After going on the 1/2 days a few times (Matt Walsh and Pierpoint), I became a pinhead on the Freedom. I recall four skippers sort of rotated on the three big boats - Freedom, America and Liberty....Taka, Bobby, Jimmy and Arnold (Cookie). I eventually fished Norm's and 22nd Street too - but Pierpoint was my favorite place. I saw Fishin' Flashes with Mac McClintock. I understand the old films burned with the fire at Pierpoint. Shame. I heard somewhere the Inside Sportfishing guy has some footage? I would think if he had it, he would have put it on one of his shows. Eric at Eric's Tackle in Ventura has a bunch of old stuff - brochures from just about every landing up and down the coast from the 'old' days, and old video footage too. I have some stuff I kept - Pacific Landing brochure (down the street from Pierpoint) where I rode the 'newer' Pacific Queen. And a few others - but not much really. I could go on and on with the data dump. Nice memories!

Johnlgarrison

The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
I would con my dad into dropping me off before he went to work. We lived in Downey and he worked in LA, he would drive me and a buddy down before work and pick us up after he got off. I had the best Dad and we were only 11 or so and we knew if we did anything wrong my dad would have our asses. We would fish off the barge I think it was $1.50 for the whole day.

Sep 24, 2019
Russellville, AR
Name
Dr. Sheila Hunt
Boat
Matt Walsh
Hey Pierpointe Landing 1960 friends... I just found out that Capt. Kenny Davis of the Matt Walsh is my biological dad! I remember him taking me out on the Matt Walsh from 1960-1964 and then my mom and "dad" moved and I never saw Kenny again... he has passed now and I am trying to find any pics or memories of him. Do any of you have any pics or stories you would share w/ me? I would be ever grateful! He is listed on this flyer above! [email protected] Blessings!

Reactions: One_Leg

Yella1

So Fishy
Aug 24, 2017
San Diego, CA
Name
Jarrod
Boat
Pay to Play
Pricing and writing style.....are fairly.....specific. Might be......able to back......into a date.....:D

alulunga

ka-tonk
Dec 30, 2007
desert ratsville
Name
Junior
Boat
Seaway Boats, Long Beach, CA & Force Marine, Hilo, HI
Yup. I was a dock rat in the late '60s. What a great place Pierpoint was. Fished on the barge - Davy's Locker (?) to start with. After going on the 1/2 days a few times (Matt Walsh and Pierpoint), I became a pinhead on the Freedom. I recall four skippers sort of rotated on the three big boats - Freedom, America and Liberty....Taka, Bobby, Jimmy and Arnold (Cookie). I eventually fished Norm's and 22nd Street too - but Pierpoint was my favorite place. I saw Fishin' Flashes with Mac McClintock. I understand the old films burned with the fire at Pierpoint. Shame. I heard somewhere the Inside Sportfishing guy has some footage? I would think if he had it, he would have put it on one of his shows. Eric at Eric's Tackle in Ventura has a bunch of old stuff - brochures from just about every landing up and down the coast from the 'old' days, and old video footage too. I have some stuff I kept - Pacific Landing brochure (down the street from Pierpoint) where I rode the 'newer' Pacific Queen. And a few others - but not much really. I could go on and on with the data dump. Nice memories!
“Tremendous !!! per say......”

Last edited:

David McClintock

The Chewbacca fish
Dec 24, 2019
Austin
Name
Davidmc
Boat
The Minnow
McClintock.png

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
AE3B5918-D0BA-4287-848F-E46B5E34C02A.jpeg
Knot Pierpoint but, this was in a tackle box a friend gave me.

Will trade for jigs.

Last edited:

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Most of the old Fishing Flashes film are owned by the estate of Charley Davis.He was a captain at Pierpoint and became a tackle rep and a author.I understand the wife has no interest in doing anything with them.A couple of them have been on TV is recent years.Tom

newtauk17

Feb 5, 2010
Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
Name
Kohei
Boat
18',Robalo
Charlie has a brother - Don. He might still be around? He worked for an aerospace processing firm. Charlie used to come out fishing on the Fury in the early 80's out of Ports O Call when I was on deck. I have a signed book of his around here somewhere...

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Charlies wife name is Helen,they lived in Huntington Beach,his sons name was Mark.Tom