Pierpoint landing 1/2 day

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Eli Miro, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Eli Miro

Eli Miro Newbie

Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    The Halibutt
    Went on the half day boat out of pier point landing in Long Beach yesterday Friday 6th

It started off as a normal day I got to the boat around 9:15 am waited in line until about 9:55 am we started boarding pretty good day as far as fishing conditions so we board the boat and go on to the fishing grounds on the way there one of the deckhands begins fishing before we even reach the spot he hooks up on a nice perch so he pulls that on board and brags about it for the rest of the way to the actual spot , maybe about an hour in to the trip we stop, we were gonna begin a drift when the captain decided that he wanted to find another spot because there was another boat on our spot so we go another 30 minutes out and we finally get to the fishing grounds the captain drops anchor but he doesn't position the boat right so the swell is pretty bad right when we get to the spot all the deckhands started fishing using all these jig heads and diamond jig and immediately start hooking up on some perch , we got a couple of bites mainly the deckhands pulling up the fish but then we go to another spot mind you the fishing trip is about half way done and we've only got a few perch so the captain decided to go for sculpin and bass. This Chinese deckhand kid , the same one who hooked on to that perch, was bragging about how he had some kind of prototype reel he didn't pay for. Very annoying so then the 4 deckhands we had begin fishing and they were all hooking up on big sculpins and bass using whole squid and 4 , 5 oz jig heads casting way out while they had us using little tiny strips of squid with 6 oz weights dropping down to the bottom. The Chinese kid at one point broke his reel and was talking about how he wanted to throw it into the ocean and he threw his rod on the floor and almost hit another lady passenger while the deckhands were all fishing sculpin everyone else was hooking up on small perch and the deckhands weren't even helping untangle or unhook fish only the cook shoutout to him for being the hardest working deckhand. We fished for about an hour and a half before they called it quits when the deckhands stopped hooking up , all in all we fished for about 2.5 hours maybe 3 on a "6" hour trip and we still called it a day early. Luckily I only paid $27 for Groupon . The only highlight was the delicious perch dinner i made when I got home.
    So if you're looking for a charter to go on half day boat i recommend the redondo special out of redondo beach the crew is a lot friendlier.

ScaleyOne and tony38 like this.
  2. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    3hrs of fishing on a 6hr trip for $27? Outstanding!

karlk1125, Get_Hooked, eli672 and 2 others like this.
  3. Eli Miro

Eli Miro Newbie

Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    The Halibutt
    Definitely a good deal, definitely wouldn't pay full price for that experience I'd rather go out of redondo sportsfishing or Daveys Locker

4. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    You get what you pay for

Bubba and jer dog like this.
  5. JIM E

JIM E Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    None
    Just say deckhand next time... No reason to state ethinicity...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    karlk1125, Get_Hooked, ripped and 9 others like this.
  6. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Do you still have to pay a dollar for the gunny sack?

bus kid and skillett like this.
  7. Scott Edwards

Scott Edwards Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    26 Osprey
    Didnt the perch taste like :pee:

kevina likes this.
  8. connordoyle

connordoyle Member

Name:
    Connor Doyle
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24 FB
    Pretty offensive language here, maybe next time you should just learn how to fish a little better and adapt to the situations more.

karlk1125, Get_Hooked, ripped and 6 others like this.
  9. loosendrag

loosendrag Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Exactly!

ripped and rexor_rn like this.
  10. fishboy93

fishboy93 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Who’s hiring?
    Mitch and the boys run a good operation. There's a reason they get off the dock when a lot of others don't. From what it sounds like you're pissed you didn't catch tons of fish (it's fishing not catching) and you felt it necessary to make derogatory comments towards his deckhands race, and the overall operation. And for what it's worth I doubt he had 4 deckhands and a cook on a 1/2day that's pretty far fetched. Sorry you had a bad day but maybe next time you could add a touch of class and just leave it to a fishing report instead of a unnecessary and from the looks of it unqualified boat bashing and race issue...

11. princefredo

princefredo Member

Name:
    alfredo
    Boat:
    Hobie Mirage "Master Baiter"
    Sorry you had a bad trip. I usually do all my 1/2 days on the Southern Cal now. Ryan and Mitch will get you on the fish if the fish are around. I've always had a good trip. Sometimes some of the guys aren't deckhands and just friends of the boat that help out. I've also seen some of them come to fish on their day off....again sorry you had a bad trip. But from my experience this is a rare bad trip on that boat. Also I agree the cook is top notch.

Abovewater and rexor_rn like this.
  12. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    It didn't sound like a bad trip. Sounded more like he didn't know what to do. I just fished on the Southern Cal recently with Mitch running it. It wasn't a wfo bite but those that knew how to fish got their share of quality bass. I gave all my fish away to this young couple who was on their first ever fishing trip.

For the OP...ask for help next time. The crew or other fishermen would be more than happy to help out. That way you wouldn't be bitter and start a misinformed post as this.

rexor_rn and princefredo like this.
  13. princefredo

princefredo Member

Name:
    alfredo
    Boat:
    Hobie Mirage "Master Baiter"
    You are correct. I didn't mean a bad trip all together. Just sorry he didn't enjoy his. It's rare anybody has one on that boat. Hope to be there on Monday.

rexor_rn and Jigslinger like this.
  14. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Both sides have valid arguments. People seem to assume that he's complaining because he didn't catch fish, but his main complaints are about the behavior of the deck hands, who according to him were too busy fishing to help paying customers. Personally I have heard similar complaints from friends who have done this boat so I'm not surprised. Nobody should approve of deck hands dropping lines even before the customers have had a chance to. You might tolerate it from a boat that's running $27 trips, but only because that's the kind of service you'd expect from a cheap operation.

15. BrentH

BrentH Member

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    Yeah
    I have fished on with them before, had a very similar experience. Deck hand was helping another deck hand (possible friend of boat) with his fish while not helping paying customers. I read the reviews online and still gave them a try, won't do that again! Also they do tend to exaggerate the fish count.
    All that said the capt did put us on fish at multiple stops. I came back with fish so it wasn't a terrrible trip. He knows how to find fish but the deck hands left something to be desired.

16. jerryl

jerryl Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    N/A
    Sounds like a few too many dead heads on board.

Cubeye likes this.
  17. FloMar

FloMar Hired Gun!

Name:
    John Collar
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Can't argue that, well stated.

Tuna_Chaser likes this.
  18. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name: