Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
So Steve and I chased gar today. First stop was a bass spot where we got like 5 bass in 5 minutes. That was the end of the easy bass fishing.

We ended up with the fleet at the green buoy. The water was 68 degrees, blue, and tuna clear. I mean clear! We saw free swimming cuda, calico and rays like 20 feet down. We had a nice downhill current and for once, the weatherman got the wind forecast totally wrong—it was nice out there nearly all day—a little warm even.

Anyways, onto the finicky barracuda. We caught a bunch of cuda, but we went through the tackle boxes to get them. First they wanted the polished aluminum DW1 surface iron (probably the most productive lure of the day), then a OG blue/silver Tady 9, then green silver Colt Sniper, then—get this—they (and the calicos) went nuts for long shallow diving stick baits. The clear water made what wasn’t working so frustrating as even though you weren’t catching fish, you could see cuda and calicos following your lure. We must have seen a hundred fish chasing our offerings.

No idea as to totals, but we had a great day slaying the gar and suspended calicos. Steve kept a few slimers and noticed their stomachs were empty as he was gutting them. Weird as they were actively feeding in front of us, many times giving us aerial shows. Most cuda were legal. I hooked a TOAD that when I got him to the boat, he turned and booked, taking drag off my Trini 20a like it was nothing and putting a hell of a bend in my UC GP90 Mega. Then the bastard spit the hook.

When we got back to Steve’s place he presented me with his latest work of art: A new UC 9e (formerly known as the Reaper) for heavier jig work. Pics are included. Don’t hate on me because I like reel seats on my jig sticks. Thank you Steve for another awesome rod.

If you are going for gar this weekend, BRING EVERYTHING! If they quit biting what you’re offering, change it up.

Oh and the fish finder pic is cool in that it shows a fish under the boat, a lure dropping down, him going up to investigate it, then him following it down without biting.

Edit: The radio said there were foaming (and hooked) bluefin two miles outside the double rigs. The radio said…

We didn’t sink the boat or get arrested or towed. Going again Sunday in my sled. Maybe for BFT.

758D1E9C-B929-4843-9B96-E86318E4FE13.jpeg

9AA2A805-CE84-4F01-803C-B4789499D5B9.jpeg

710013C1-54D0-4AC6-A1DD-DC022524A172.jpeg

979FAE71-2A04-4E87-82DA-DA48A87677EE.jpeg

B344BAF8-F0DA-4E37-8F1C-D51DAA024201.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2007
Redlands, CA
Name
Doug
Boat
water wings
Nice looking build on the new jig stick!! You're not alone about having a reel seat on your sticks!! Thanks for the intel and the story that goes along with it!! Missing the dog pics tho!!

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Nothing wrong with a reel seat on a jig stick.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Nice looking build on the new jig stick!! You're not alone about having a reel seat on your sticks!! Thanks for the intel and the story that goes along with it!! Missing the dog pics tho!!
I’m not the dog guy, though we now have a grand puppy.

539DADE2-95A9-4B5A-85F1-A8408C405DD0.jpeg

Last edited:

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
I found the same. They wouldn’t bite the jigs readily. A ton of followers but some what reluctant. They bit the flash minnow but after a couple fish I decided it wasn’t worth losing over a cuda. We had a few big ones that pulled hard. They bit live bait way better. Nice looking rod and I like a real seat on my jig sticks too.

Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
The picture of the fish finder is indeed very cool especially with your interpretation and explanation of what you are seeing.
I've spent many an hour trying to figure out what the heck I was looking at.
Very, very cool. Great job.
Thanks

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
We went out sat. We cheated and used bait. That worked, but Nacohs bait really sucked on Sat! That crap was DOA and now they get $30 a half.

Reactions: ssrmr2
Upvote 0