Physical Training Ideas

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Fincutter, May 11, 2018.

1. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    I'm determined to use my LR trips as motivation to get myself in better shape. I've been working with a personal trainer and he's got me doing all kinds of exercises that seem relevant to the physical demands of LR fishing.

However, I've always gravitated toward the idea of training with as much specificity as possible and it's hard to come up with a gym-based way of pulling on 30# of drag. I am thinking about setting something up in my garage and wonder if any of you have done anything like that.

If so, please share!

Thanks.

Nebraska likes this.
  2. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    Jogging works for leg, lower back muscle, and cardio. Variety of dumbell curling and push-ups for arm and shoulder strength! Happy LR fishing!

Fincutter likes this.
  3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Swimming will do it all from your core, shoulders, arms, legs, and you can’t beat the cardio.

4. knot keely

knot keely Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None (yet)
    Get on a balcony with your rod/reel and a 30lb weight at the end on the ground. Reel it up and down for a couple hours/day.

strackle99 and Fincutter like this.
  5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Practice drinking 16oz beers that way the 12oz ones are nothin' on the 4 days down and back! :hali_olutta:

6. PullOnThis

PullOnThis Newbie

Name:
    PullOnThis One
    Boat:
    Floating beer cooler
    X2 or x12

tugasangler, Shon and ripped like this.
  7. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I actually try to do a lot of water skiing to get in/keep in shape for long ranging. Helps my hands, arms, legs, back, cardio. I didn't get out skiing much last year and I could feel the difference on my trip. Plus, since I've been spending so much time on my ski boat the last several years I get virtually no problems with sea sickness.

terryc., Fincutter and knot keely like this.
  8. knot keely

knot keely Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None (yet)
    That actually sounds like great cross training for fishing

9. here'smymule

here'smymule Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tony Rezzato
    I like to fish surface iron. I also like the yo-yo. I also bounce very heavy iron for groupers such as jri 8 and Salas PDQ slash yo-yo one.
    What I've been doing as I have a trip coming up on the RP is 2 do specific exercises related 2 the the specific type of repetitive actions involved. I practiced holding a 5 lb weight with my left arm like I'm holding a jig stick for surface iron. I get 5 and 10 lb dumbbells and circle them in emotion like turning the crank on the real. I try to build up my endurance 2 to make several hundred rotations period with my right arm I get 15 and 20 lb dumbbells and hold them out as if I am grabbing a rod bouncing a heavy iron and I tried to get over a hundred of those up and down motions.
    That is what I do because I do not wish to fatigue when I fish the way I like to fish. I have backed off backed off a little bit since I am getting older. But, there were a few years where I would go on at 8 or 10 day and never touch a bait.
    Those Yellow Tail at Guadalupe are vicious. Cranking a heavy yoyo iron is my idea of Heaven. When those big slugs bite Katie Bar the Door. I'm 66 and I want to be able to fish hard for at least a few more years before I have to woose out and fish bait all the time.

10. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Don’t forget wrist curls. That’ll keep your reel from wobbling as you crank under load. I do an hour a day 6-7 days a week with hand weights.

yellowfish26 and Fincutter like this.
  11. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Cardio is the best exercise, but every morning of fishing what really helps me are leg arms and torso stretching exercises and squats. All about staying in front of the fish.

ZZZZZ, Fincutter and SouthBayKiller like this.
  12. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Like most of my posts this is going to sound odd.

Get some identical 60 lb rigs, a swivel, a like minded friend, and a stuffed animal. Tether the stuffy to the swivel. Bet some money on who's gonna win. Both tie off to the swivel. Freespool and take 20 paces each and plant your feet. Reel up slack. Someone yells "go", and first one with the stuffy to hit their rod wins!

kbray001 likes this.
  13. agrazela

agrazela Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    2000 Sea Hunt Triton 172 / 2014 Merc OptiMax 125
    Constant, vigorous masturbation, focusing on the crankin' hand.

Best part is, you can keep up this regimen in your bunk.

Texlee, Threadbo, bullyo and 7 others like this.
  14. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I would say just working on overall cardio and balanced strength/core should be fine. Grip and arms do get pounded if you are pumping and grinding (Not in the way Agrazela describes.).

Only time I have witnessed another angler having real issues was associated with the fact that he smoked and was not very active at the cardio level. He hooked a really nice wahoo and ended up handing off the rod to a deck hand to finish off. Several other older anglers on the same trip have no noticeable issues putting a hurt on cows using the techniques they are comfortable with.

The fitter you are the more likely you are to avoid a variety of health issues and enjoy your trip more. So you have already taken the most important step by starting a fitness program with your trainer. Maybe ask your trainer to focus a little more on shoulders, arms and grip.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    egarratt, Cubeye, d105 and 2 others like this.
  15. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Calisthenics or you can :D

Fincutter likes this.
  16. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    My level of fitness is pretty good for someone my age (57), but after taking my first true LR trip last year, I realize that I need to put in more work. Although I've been fishing my whole life, the LR thing was always on the back burner because of time and money. Now that I've finally got those issues under control, I realize that fitness is very important if I want to truly enjoy these trips over the next decade or so.

My trainer is already focusing on grip strength, shoulders, etc., along with other things like core strength, agility, and balance. Part of what motivated me to ramp up my efforts is that I had lots of upper back tightness/pain last year and the only thing that saved me was borrowing a hard rubber ball from one of the other guys and rolling over it to work out the kinks. Hopefully, my training efforts will keep me from running into that problem again this year.

I'm also working on my technique, which is probably an even better way to maximize the effort and avoid pain. That's part of the reason I'm thinking of setting up something in my garage that will allow me to pull from different angles.

17. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Honestly the most common thing I have seen is people tend to over exert themselves early in the battle and run out of steam when they need it the most. This is mostly mental I believe, just having control of your breathing and pulling on the rod with your body weight rather than your arms make a world of difference. Having the mental acuity to maintain composure and control such things during extreme adrenaline rushes is very hard to train for. I'm sure there is a way to do it though.

18. Baller

Baller Lives for fishing the surface iron..!!!

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Ba ha haaa..!!! I laughed so hard 2 or 3 drops of pee came out..!!!

Texlee, Abaco and SouthBayKiller like this.
  19. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Also a great way to get a stateroom all to yourself.

20. yellowfish26

yellowfish26 Totally Nude 24/7

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    Even better is to alter your stroke. Half thumd down, half pinkie finger down. Uses different musles...

Jim Schmitt likes this.