Phone Call from Fish & Game about a survey

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
It started off about how often I fish fresh and salt then focused on where I kept my boat and exactly what days I fished and when I left and when I got back. I just got AIS on my boat and I'm thinking they are checking people going into Mexico and coming back. I don't have anything to hide so I was very open with the guy. I called him back and it said it wasn't a working number. Anyone else get this call?

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I personally would have politely declined to answer any questions. It sounds like investigative questions, just not worth it in my opinion.

If you have AIS why would they need to confirm the details? I have never been asked or heard of anyone being asked such specifics. (While working on boats as well as on my own boat.)

With that said, in the event it was not actually F&G you were talking to I would strongly suggest making sure your boat is secure because it sounds like you told them your patterns of when you would and would not be there.

Upvote 0

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
    Canyon Lake
    Name
    Kirk Lessley
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I personally would have politely declined to answer any questions. It sounds like investigative questions, just not worth it in my opinion.

If you have AIS why would they need to confirm the details? I have never been asked or heard of anyone being asked such specifics. (While working on boats as well as on my own boat.)

With that said, in the event it was not actually F&G you were talking to I would strongly suggest making sure your boat is secure because it sounds like you told them your patterns of when you would and would not be there.
    I think they were looking at my tracks and verifying my story. Looking for importers you might say. They knew where my boat was kept and my trips before the call. Probably Homeland Security.

Reactions: Pete123
    Upvote 0

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
    Canyon Lake
    Name
    Kirk Lessley
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Don't be paranoid about a Fish and Game survey.
    It morphed into exactly what days I fished Mexico and what times. He said he had a calendar next to him. Asked what we were targeting but not if we caught. Asked if the boat was in a locked dock and if the public had access. Asked if we fished 3 miles from shore.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    It started off about how often I fish fresh and salt then focused on where I kept my boat and exactly what days I fished and when I left and when I got back. I just got AIS on my boat and I'm thinking they are checking people going into Mexico and coming back. I don't have anything to hide so I was very open with the guy. I called him back and it said it wasn't a working number. Anyone else get this call?

You dont say... I recently got an odd call too.

It was a woman with a robotic voice telling me that something was wrong with my file at the Social Security Administration and to press 1 to speak with a representative.

A couple of days later I got another call from the same robotic voice lady telling me I owed money to the IRS and to press 1 to speak to an agent.

It was at that moment I realized that poor robot lady is having to work two jobs! 😂

All jokes aside, a lot of the time it's good people like you trying to do the right thing that leads them right into a bad situation.

When getting odd calls, I understand that the best thing you can do is not respond at all and if you accidentally do respond, hang up immediately and deal with all the new solicitation calls your gonna get for a while.

Also even if it was a call from U.S. or State Law Enforcement, I'm pretty sure most in that line of work would give/follow the same advice.

Upvote 0

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
    Canyon Lake
    Name
    Kirk Lessley
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    You dont say... I recently got an odd call too.

It was a woman with a robotic voice telling me that something was wrong with my file at the Social Security Administration and to press 1 to speak with a representative.

A couple of days later I got another call from the same robotic voice lady telling me I owed money to the IRS and to press 1 to speak to an agent.

It was at that moment I realized that poor robot lady is having to work two jobs! 😂

All jokes aside, a lot of the time it's good people like you trying to do the right thing that leads them right into a bad situation.

When getting odd calls, I understand that the best thing you can do is not respond at all and if you accidentally do respond, hang up immediately and deal with all the new solicitation calls your gonna get for a while.

Also even if it was a call from U.S. or State Law Enforcement, I'm pretty sure most in that line of work would give/follow the same advice.
    Anybody can get on an AIS website and get the same info I gave them. You can get on Marinetraffic.com and see where I keep my boat and when I leave and come back. If my boat was the Pineapple Express they might have some concern

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    You may not have anything to hide but it's also none of their damn business what you do in your own private time. Any questions that need answered can be done with a lawyer present or under oath in a courtroom.

That said, what #'s did you tell them you were fishing and what color worked best?

Upvote 0

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    I've had the phone call survey and in person survey at the launch ramp. I have no AIS. The first survey was at the launch ramp by LB marine stadium and was asked by a nice looking girl with a good attitude, she asked the same type of questions. How often i go out, what days, times, where about, and what we fish for, what depth, do we keep them, on and on. I invited her to come on the next trip but she declined, oh well.. I asked about what the survey was for and she said it helps them focus when and where to patrol since they are short staffed, it also helps them know how active each region is and what offices might need more resources.

The phone call survey was about a month later and had the exact same questions.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Truth is easyer to remember, when dealing with posible legality.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
    Jul 30, 2020
    Yucca Valley
    Name
    Shane Reil
    Boat
    Next year hopefully
    Next time get a name, rank, office location, and call back number. If it is legit they will have no problem giving you that info. If they dont tell them you are federal law enforcement and they will hang up. Never have a problem with them calling me back. I do work for a federal law enforcement agency.

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    sounds a little phishy if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    I got two calls last week from 858 277-7645. I let the calls go to voicemail then called the number back. The recording said they were CIC Research calling on behalf of F&G and my number was randomly picked to call.

Upvote 0