Phenix/Vagabond 3day 7/18-21

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Temecula
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat Name
MALAKAS
First I must THANK Cameron and the crew of the Vagabond...a well oiled kite flying gourmet food friggin machine....
55 miles for bft
65 miles south for yt
98 north for bft
Then the ride home

Domnic Bassi :
Phenix chartermaster/prostaff
Optimum Baits prostaff
Maker of a great Bloody Mary

2nd our sponsors
Phenix Rods, Pitbull Tackle, Yo-Zuri, Optimum Baits, LeadMasters, Thirty Fathoms, Viewdoo, OCT Lures, Fisherman's Processing, Cal T's and Old Town Smoke Shoppe.
Honorable mention to my 90 yr old mother...she made 8 Italian rolled pizzas..which got eaten in a galley feeding frenzy.
Best part about the trip was 1st bft and some got their first triple digit.
My brother got a kite 120lb
Shon's son Dylan broke a 100
As well as a few other firsts
A few cows were also caught
One bit the knife jig into a momento
Generally fishing was pretty tough but the crew got us more than most of the fleet

20210720_155418.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

20210721_074328.jpg

Last edited:

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
  • Jan 21, 2014
    Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
    Name
    Shon
    Boat Name
    Pac Voyager/Vagabond
    Great trip!! My son hasn’t stopped talking about it since we got home in Mammoth.
    Special thanks to Dominic of Phenix, he did a awesome job and the raffles were sweet along with a fat grab bag of goodies.
    Dylan’s fish weighed 108 gilled and gutted. I got a 118 gilled and gutted on a strip glow sk jig on blind Mikes 200 pound leader he made for the trip!
    I Can’t say enough about the crew on the Vagabond. Those guys, Andrew, Seth, Chowder and Adam, are all very fishy guys. Cameron the captain worked from 3am til well past when the sun went down! These guys bust there asses off and it showed in the numbers of kite fish we got and in general.
    I am a very big fan of the Vagabond and will be doing a lot more trips on the boat.
    Thanks to pitbull, yozuri, Phenix and all the sponsors for this trip!
    It’s one I won’t forget with my son who is still smiling ear to ear. I’m a proud dad and can’t wait til he joins me on the 10 day trips.

Last edited:

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    Great report, Mike! Love hearing all the kudos for the Vagabond and crew, as they seem to have become my boat of choice. And double-kudos to your son, Shon! Father-son bonds forged in fishing last forever...

Upvote 0

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
  • Jan 21, 2014
    Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
    Name
    Shon
    Boat Name
    Pac Voyager/Vagabond
    Great report, Mike! Love hearing all the kudos for the Vagabond and crew, as they seem to have become my boat of choice. And double-kudos to your son, Shon! Father-son bonds forged in fishing last forever...
    Thanks for that!! It’s the first of many to come! Wish my old man was here to see it, He’s be proud. Next generation is fun to watch.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    Thanks for that!! It’s the first of many to come! Wish my old man was here to see it, He’s be proud. Next generation is fun to watch.
    Fishing together was the one unbroken bond, powerful differences notwithstanding, that kept me and my old man close.

From since I moved to AK and had a freezer full of salmon and halibut, I've envisioned his amazement and pride at the bounty that fishing has provided me in the years since his passing. He used to drool at a store bought can of salmon or tuna when we'd open it when I was a kid. We were pretty much dirt-poor. And I wish he were here to see my long-range filled freezer now! I like to think he is, if only in my imagination.

Back in NM, I've dragged my daughter fishing for 10 years, until she admitted she'd rather not go. But she still scarfs down my smoked salmon/tuna/yellowtail/wahoo and all the fried fish I can provide.

I'm frying up yellowtail for her 17th b-day party Saturday, with 12 friends attending. If they're lucky, I'll share some of my smoked bluefin belly meat.

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat Name
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    Vagabond opened next year's trip today online
    Spots going fast
    Thanks for the heads up. I just signed up for this one for next year as his trips book fast. Many times the returning people get the spots and the trip is full before it hits the schedule.

Had to think a few seconds on this trip as it adds a back to back trips for me( trips 13 & 14).

Can not say enough about how hard the crew works and how fishy and fun the boat is. Up to 33 days booked for next year and still need to book my fall trips. 🐟

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Vagabond opened next year's trip today online
    Spots going fast
    Just booked this trip for 2022. Have been wanting to fish the Vagabond for some time. Just the right length trip between my two longer ones in April and October. Looking forward to fishing with you guys.

Reactions: Shon and Blind Luck
    Upvote 0