Phenix rod warranty

Discussion in 'USED Fishing Rods and Reels For Sale' started by jeff67210, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff67210

jeff67210 fishnatic

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    2001 Sea Ray 260 DA
    <b>Has anyone dealt with Phenix rod warranty before? Do you have to pay additional fee to get your rod replaced? I have a phenix rod Ultra MBX 700XH that broke into three pieces when I was setting my reel drag and I ended up paying additional $50 when I brought it to Phenix warehouse in Cerritos? This is the first time I have to deal with phenix warranty and I just want to make sure that it is how it is.<b/>

Any opinion is welcome.

2. xjdesertfox

xjdesertfox Tackle Ho

Name:
    Tim
    well im willing to bet if you broke it into 3 pieces it wasnt manufacturer error.

if it is manufacturing defect they replace it for free, if it is user error, they will replace it for $50-$120 depending on what model it is.

3. rza007

rza007 Iron Sheik

Name:
    Fish
    Boat:
    They should have replaced it for free IMO. I've had 2 rods ever break on me and both were from different mnf cos (not shimano) Both were replaced free no questiones asked.

4. kimbo

kimbo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Toe-knee
    Boat:
    21' cabo
    Does Calstar charge to replace them? What about seeker? Does it matter if it is a custom wrapped?

5. sabre 690j

sabre 690j Newbie

Name:
    henry
    Boat:
    no where
    isent g loomis like that were if you break a rod its like 50 bucks to get a new one?

6. xjdesertfox

xjdesertfox Tackle Ho

Name:
    Tim
  7. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Just how were you setting your drag?

8. zuksamurai

zuksamurai Newbie

Name:
    G. Underwood
    Boat:
    16.5 Western
    i broke a phenix in 3 places. I use them for striper fishing. No warranty. i buy dobyns now.

9. big steve

big steve Member

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2100 cc polar
    you guys should check out danny kadotas signature rods. black rock tackle!!! ass good or better than loomis for less $$$. 50.00 f that!

10. hotrail20

hotrail20 Intrepid 200 LB Club

Name:
    Leonard
    Boat:
    Yours
    Calstar charges $60.00 no matter how it broke Phenix warranty is shitty from what Iam hearing

11. kimbo

kimbo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Toe-knee
    Boat:
    21' cabo
    Wow. Sounds like shimano has the best warranty out there.

12. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    Calstar has never charged me ( only one break) or anyone I know for a warranty. defect is defect... Seeker and Calstar advertise "lifetime warranty"

13. ahistick

ahistick Member

Name:
    Gil
    Boat:
    TBA
    Aren't warranties and Rod replacement programs are different.

It would seem that warranties covers the blank, components, and workmanship...any defects in those materials and/or the building of the factory rod, it would seem that the companies will stand behind their products.

Rod replacement programs are different and vary, but IF you break the rod during the normal use and/or wear, many companies have an exchange programs for a fee. Shimano offers an over the counter exchange program with very little hassle.

As for Phenix, I bought a blank, there was a chip on the finish, it was exchanged no questions asked.

A friend broke his Phenix during a fishing trip. It was a custom made rod, but he got the rod blank exchange for free, the re-wrap was on his dime.

A rod breaking in multiple places would take explanation. In this case, how was the drag being tested? The location of the breaks would be interesting to see. I've dealt with the guys from Phenix and they've stood behind their products, at least, in my case...

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  14. 714aheim

714aheim You been drinking SW?

Name:
    jordan
    Boat:
    steel
    One of my Phenix rods got a broken guide, not sure how it got there but 100% not their fault, I took it to my tackle shop and was told blank is warrantied guides are not. Totally what I expected, I knew they didn't break it, I planned on paying for it. So he has to order the ALPS guide, then realizes the thread they use is size "A", he carries "C". No problem, I have had an awesome relationship with him since he took over ownership of the shop I don't mind waiting. I came in the following week and the Phenix Rep. came and picked up the rod, and repaired it free of charge.

Free of charge.

Not at all what i expected, but WAY better. They are cool by me.

Also the warranty card is pretty clear when you buy the rod.

15. Amergin

Amergin Newbie

Name:
    Mick Reilly
    Boat:
    Dreamer
    I had the tip break off a Seeker Black Steel the first time I hooked a fish with it.
    I called Seeker and they shipped a new rod overnight for free without ever seeing how the rod had broken.

I had a Fenwick classic spinning rod that I broke 6" of the top by walking into a room with the ceiling fan on, down in the east cape. I wrote Fenwick and told them what had happened. They sent me a new rod and a $50.00 gift voucher toward any new tackle I might buy from them. Having said that, warranties strickly speaking, only cover manufacturing defects. The issue with the Seeker was definitely a manu problem...but they took my word for it a shipped a new rod. Fenwick on the other hand could have told me to go pound sand and they would have been within their rights. I guess it comes down to how companies use their judgement, and how much they value a good vibe amongst the fishing community.

I have a couple of the new Phenix rods and they are pretty fantastic (IMO) but if I were asked to give my opinion based on the experience you have had I would have to say Seeker and Fenwick are no 1 in my book.

Finally; I talked to one of the main guys at Phenix a short while ago and funnily enough the conversation got round to warranty. It was interesting to get the viewpoint from the manufacturer's side, he told me that one guy had submitted a rod for warranty replacement after he had caught the bottom, set the rod in the boat rod holder engaged gear and opened the throttle in order to break free? I guess it comes down to whether or not the rod fucked up or the angler did, and then its purely a matter of total honesty with yourself as to the legitimacy of a warranty issue.

16. jeff67210

jeff67210 fishnatic

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    2001 Sea Ray 260 DA
    I am setting the drag just like anyone would, had a friend hold my rod at 45 degrees and I pull the scale at the end of the line while he watches my reel slip. I was setting for 7 lb drag.

17. JIGMASTER420

JIGMASTER420 BAD MOTHER PHUCKER

Name:
    EL JEFFE
    Boat:
    85' x 22' sportfisher
    I heard Phenix is MADE IN CHINA, cant say I own a single one... Got rid of all of them

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  18. Amergin

Amergin Newbie

Name:
    Mick Reilly
    Boat:
    Dreamer
    I copied this response to inquiries about where the blanks were made off another forum

Name: Gil
    A message from one of the Phenix guys off another site earlier this year...

Hi Everybody,

I am pleased to see there is some discussion about Phenix rods again. We just came back from the Fred Hall show and it was a tremendous experience. The reception to our new product line for both freshwater and saltwater was great.

I wanted to clarify a few things about our rod materials, where they are made, etc. The raw material for our rod blanks comes from Toray. That was essential for us. We wanted our line to be made of only the highest quality material. It is a carbon fiber and graphite weave which makes our blanks both light and strong.

Our blanks are not made in Japan. They are not made in the US. They are MIC (Made in China). In fact, the reason why we chose our Chinese partner is the fact that they use Toray materials. Most rod manufacturers use Chinese graphite which we feel is an inferior product. As much as I would have loved our blanks to be made in Japan, it is not financially feasible for us to do so at the price point that we want to offer the consumer. I believe having our blanks made in China does not diminish the quality of the product. In fact our Chinese partner OEM's a lot of rods and blanks for very high quality, well-known manufacturers.

Sorry, if myself or any of the partners caused any confusion at the Fred Hall Show. We wanted to highlight the fact that our blanks use material from Toray. I do believe that is a selling point. We do not want to mislead anybody into thinking that our blanks are spun in Japan

www.toray.com/ir/index.html

19. ahistick

ahistick Member

Name:
    Gil
    Boat:
    TBA
    Amergin/Mick

You dug deep to find that old post of mines...:notworthy

One of their pro-staffers was responding about the Black Diamond rods/blanks.

20. Amergin

Amergin Newbie

Name:
    Mick Reilly
    Boat:
    Dreamer
    Thank you Gil for the insight............I like their rods a lot, but I find that more and more I wish American business had the balls to reduce profit, spread the wealth and keep The work here so more Americans can have money to buy more fishing rods.
    Mick Reilly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.