Phenix fans? I need help! Just bought a SALTIST LD20H Which rod?

B

bmuoio

I bought the Phenix PSW 700M 15-40
I went to the shop today, I told him I was looking for a small reel, that would be good for fly lining dines or throwing jigs.
I stressed to him that I wanted the smallest reel that I could run 60lb Braid 250 yards?
He recommended the SALTIST LD20H over a few others I was considering like the Tekota or Avet.
I originally was looking for a Star drag from what I have read.
But decided I liked the Saltist 20 and pulled the trigger!
He sold me another Phenix rod that he has on the past 2.
But when I got home I realized it was very similar to my PSW 908mh 15-40 And is 2 feet shorter.Redundant or not? Good or bad? I like the rods I bought in the past and both were 9 foot.
I have been out of the game way to long and could seriously use all the help I can get to bring me up to speed! Also I am not apposed to going with a Cal or Seeker? or any other recommendations?
Thank you guys in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
I've read your post like 5 times and am still confused.
Do you have a 700m and a Saltist LD20h?
What other rods reels are you asking about?
Why not pair the 700m and the Saltist?
What are you planning to fish for mostly?
Private boat or tangle boat?

For my style of fishing I'd put the Saltist on an PSW808mh or PSW 809h. Both of which I own.
I run Toriums though.

B

bmuoio

I've read your post like 5 times and am still confused.
Do you have a 700m and a Saltist LD20h?
What other rods reels are you asking about?
Why not pair the 700m and the Saltist?
What are you planning to fish for mostly?
Private boat or tangle boat?

For my style of fishing I'd put the Saltist on an PSW808mh or PSW 809h. Both of which I own.
I run Toriums though.
I will be fishing on my 20 Skipjack, mostly local banks to Clemente. I prefer fishing red meat! Albacore to yellowfin and Bluefin if I'm lucky! White Sea Bass and Yellowtail. Also I went to Moro bay every year when there were the 40-60 lb Albacore. I never had a rod over 7 feet and it was a Calstar 700-GFR w/roller guides. Since I started back to the game I am noticing rods 8 and 9 foot Mainly speaking of Phenix and they have plenty of horse power!!!
So when he gave me a 7 footer today that is the same weight as my PSW 908 MH I thought it was very close to what I had. and kind of redundant? I like what you Carl suggested and go with the 908 MH and I am feeling like that rod makes more sense.
Thanks Carl!!!
I also want to that everyone that is able to give me input since I was such a die hard that had to hang up everything for 7 years to raise my family! And now I just want to rely on all of you guys to help bring me back up to speed!!!!!!
Thank you guys so much! And everyone on this forum are such gentleman and respectful compared to other forums I go on. One in particular Cal Guns!!!
Thanks again Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

DoradoJ

Jul 6, 2013
Norwalk, CA
Name
Jesse
Boat
La Orizaba
Brian I am confused about which phenix rods you own, you said psw-700m 15-40 I am guessing that is a black diamond model? If so the saltist is a good match, I personally own the same model but in a 7ft 6 in version. I have that rod matched with an avet mxl with 65lb braid and just vary my top shot from 20 to 30 lb flouro. Is the psw-908 mh a black diamond or abyss model? If it is a black diamond then to me personally it can be redundant. You need to figure out first what you want to target and go from there. There is no one special rod that can fish everything. Some factors you need to consider are your personal preferences such as what you like and what works for you. Also, cost is another factor. One piece of advice I can suggest is go to shows like the fred hall the reps from all the different manufacturers are there and you can demo everything and get pleanty of advice. You can also take fishing trips that are sponsered by these manufacturers and get to use their gear on the trip. Good Luck

B

bmuoio

Brian I am confused about which phenix rods you own, you said psw-700m 15-40 I am guessing that is a black diamond model? If so the saltist is a good match, I personally own the same model but in a 7ft 6 in version. I have that rod matched with an avet mxl with 65lb braid and just vary my top shot from 20 to 30 lb flouro. Is the psw-908 mh a black diamond or abyss model? If it is a black diamond then to me personally it can be redundant. You need to figure out first what you want to target and go from there. There is no one special rod that can fish everything. Some factors you need to consider are your personal preferences such as what you like and what works for you. Also, cost is another factor. One piece of advice I can suggest is go to shows like the fred hall the reps from all the different manufacturers are there and you can demo everything and get pleanty of advice. You can also take fishing trips that are sponsered by these manufacturers and get to use their gear on the trip. Good Luck
I have the Phenix PSW 909XHJ 30-80 I have for my Talica16 II Speed
Also the Phenix PSW 908 MH 15-40 with a Talica 16 II Speed
And today bought the Saltist LD20H matched with a Phenix PSW 700M 15-40
That's why I though Carl's sugetion to go with a PSW-868MH might be more of what I like! 8.6 over 7ft...
These new style rods that have plenty of back in 8 and 9 are super cool and is what attracted me to them!
But I was curious if it was just my prefrance not ever fishing with them or other people like a longer rod for numerous reasons?

fast-eddie

May 21, 2013
ontario ca
Name
ed escobaf
Boat
Mako
Brian many moons ago the long rod on glass was the ticket. I remember converting surf rods to cast with my Newells
And it worked beautiful , but now new technology on rods, (search IM8 graphite, what is it) and how this rods. Even shorter can cast far like the flag ploes from the past, so measure the casting distance on the park and the bird nest ratio. You want zero bird nest, there's no time for that when the fish is around.

Saltist cast good,I have 2, but there are better reels for that

I still have my flag pole collection
Every now and then, I fish one, the cool Conolon (yes I have one) or the 90j on the Newell 322

And the only reason besides nostalgic memories, is to avoid the big hull of a moo moo boat
And tangles with people.
Eddie

Last edited:

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
You misread my post a little bit.
My rods are 8'.
Longer than that is too long (pita) for my style.
I don't fish sportboats or try to set distance records flinging jigs from a center console too often.

DRH

NONE-YA
Jul 12, 2008
SANTA CLARITA
Name
DALE....
Boat
Brian, please lay off the coffee before posting...........very confusing
figure out what fish you are targeting
go to your local (2-3) tackle stores and get an opinion, match them up- pull on a couple.......
make an educated decision, again no coffee, fire up your boat and enjoy..... take pictures and show us all :-)

B

bmuoio

You misread my post a little bit.
My rods are 8'.
Longer than that is too long (pita) for my style.
I don't fish sportboats or try to set distance records flinging jigs from a center console too often.
I might of replied wrong but did understand your post and I want to get the PSW 808 MH I feel that will be better than the PSW 706 M
Thanks Carl!
As well as everyone else!
Sorry for my confusing rant!