Phase Seperation in Fuel, or unluckest SOB on BDD?

Diego-Ted

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Ted
Boat
ODIN SALTY
So just talked to Robbie Gordon at Boating Dynamics here in San Diego, he said lots of boaters in California are having BIG PROBLEMS with the ethanol in the gasoline the problems it causes, and WORSE yet, there is little that can be done to avoid it.

This is the second time this has hit me this season and the issue is quickly breaking the bank. We have determined the source to be the place we are getting our gas “at least we hope this is it".

Any how, I am just trying to see if any of you guys are running into the issue as well or, am I just the most unlucky SOB in Diego-Town? any thoughts of how to proceed other than changing where I get fuel?

Thx for the help guys.

Upvote 0

catchabigone

Fair is fair. Donate Life. Be an organ donor
Dec 14, 2006
shelter cove
Name
dave
Boat
2008 Trophy 2152, Seafoam
non ethano gas, we can get it here in garberville, so it must be available down there. $2.00 more a gallon vs repairs you decide.

Upvote 0

Diego-Ted

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Ted
Boat
ODIN SALTY
At an Arco and truck.depot in chula vista. Same place I have been using for my inboard with a Mercruiser 260. The motor in question is a 4 stroke Yamaha 235.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
So just talked to Robbie Gordon at Boating Dynamics here in San Diego, he said lots of boaters in California are having BIG PROBLEMS with the ethanol in the gasoline the problems it causes, and WORSE yet, there is little that can be done to avoid it.

This is the second time this has hit me this season and the issue is quickly breaking the bank. We have determined the source to be the place we are getting our gas “at least we hope this is it".

Any how, I am just trying to see if any of you guys are running into the issue as well or, am I just the most unlucky SOB in Diego-Town? any thoughts of how to proceed other than changing where I get fuel?

Thx for the help guys.

just a FYI...... you can legally purchase ethanol free fuel from your local airport. it will be 100 octane and be about 1.25 -1.50 more per gallon. another plus is that its already been treated and can sit for a year and still be good to fly a plane on. one catch though.....its illegal for them to pump it into anything but a plane, or a gas can :D hint, hint.

or you can use a additive like sta bil marine, or star-tron

Last edited:
Upvote 0

t-ho

Jun 14, 2004
Costa Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat
Someone else’s
Having fuel problems with my boat also I have a fuel and tank polisher coming out tomorrow hopefully this will fix it

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Don't keep fuel in the boat for long periods. Use it in the boat or pump it into your car.

Buy a small fuel tank and fill it with non-ethanol gas. Use it while flushing the engine so the shitty ethanol gas is burned out and the fuel system is full of good stable non-ethanol gas.

When you get home siphon or pump out ethanol gas into you car.

This applies if you only take the boat out every 2 months or store for half the year... if you fish once a month or so all year round you have nothing to fear.

Reactions: stairman
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
If your really having a problem with phase separation your getting too much water into your tank. Could be a lot of things - crappy fueling station, leaky fill cap, an issue with the vent and more.

If your fuel lines are type A and you don't let stabilized fuel sit for more than 6 months with a full tank you should not be having issues with E10.

Upvote 0

evilkhemist

Mar 17, 2005
Sorrento
Name
Brandon
Boat
Parker 2510xld
I am having the same problem on my Parker. So far I have gone thru 2 low pressure pumps ( seized after one week) and the needle valve for the vst float seized. I was able to use the yds tool and some banging to unfreeze one pump. I replaced all the filters and my water fuel separator is 2microns. The white paste caused by the ethanol clogged my main fuel filter on the Yamaha f225. What a pain in the ass. I seemed to get a couple of good trips and then the water screws me. Luckily, it has always been at the launch (knock on wood). I am an expert at changing all the pumps and filters, including the vst now.
I now think it's the place I got gas at the last time, so for now on, I will be going to Costco to fill up.

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    AM PM fuel has the alcohol in it and it is the shittest fuel around. Might be cheaper but your experiencing the down side of cheap gas.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

Check your fuel cap gasket as well. If it shows signs of age replace it.

Upvote 0

upperbump

Aug 7, 2008
    H.B.
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Blackfin
    Valvetech additive will help with this problem. Especially if using the Arco crap gas. You can also buy Valvetech marine fuel. I've had fuel in my boat for a year while it was in the yard and she started and ran great but it was the Valvetech fuel.

Upvote 0

Diego-Ted

Almost A Member
    Jun 13, 2015
    Name
    Ted
    Boat
    ODIN SALTY
    I am having the same problem on my Parker. So far I have gone thru 2 low pressure pumps ( seized after one week) and the needle valve for the vst float seized. I was able to use the yds tool and some banging to unfreeze one pump. I replaced all the filters and my water fuel separator is 2microns. The white paste caused by the ethanol clogged my main fuel filter on the Yamaha f225. What a pain in the ass. I seemed to get a couple of good trips and then the water screws me. Luckily, it has always been at the launch (knock on wood). I am an expert at changing all the pumps and filters, including the vst now.
    I now think it's the place I got gas at the last time, so for now on, I will be going to Costco to fill up.
    Sounds like me to a tee with the exception of being the R&R expert, must be time for me to learn! Thx Ted

Upvote 0

tamezjos

Got Fish?
    Jun 18, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    23 Custom
    If your really having a problem with phase separation your getting too much water into your tank. Could be a lot of things - crappy fueling station, leaky fill cap, an issue with the vent and more.

If your fuel lines are type A and you don't let stabilized fuel sit for more than 6 months with a full tank you should not be having issues with E10.

Can you please elaborate on the "Type-A" fuel lines ??? What happens if the fuel lines are not type A ???

Thanks !

Upvote 0

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    Mario
    Boat
    Homeless
    Buy costco gas.
    Always keep your tank full with no air in the tank.
    Use Startron fuel additive.
    Don't let fuel sit for longer than 4 months

Upvote 0

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
    Los osos
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
    I use ethinol shield its been working really well.
    The guy at the chainsaw shop told me about it and it's safe for all engines 2 and four stroke.
    I also use Yamaha ring free fuel additive.

Upvote 0