PFMC on Rec Threshers Take

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by BiggestT, Jun 9, 2008.

1. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Can't say we didn't warn you, this prophecy is coming true (Nancy H/Dan Wohlford is a PFMC member):

The Coastside Fishing Club: We cannot proceed.

The Council started today because of our extended agenda. Most of the week will focus on Groundfish, but today the hot issues were Thresher Shark and Salmon. In SoCal Threshers have emerged as an intense recreational fishery with a take that is at or exceeding the commercial take. Recreational regulations were set several years ago, before this fishery really emerged - so now it is appropriate to consider management measures in light of this emergent fishery. We asked our management and advisory panels to recommend measures for future Council consideration.

2. Marcus

Marcus "Oddjob"

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
    This is no surprise at all.

GREED is going to be our downfall.

Once again, just because it is legal doesn't make it right.

3. Stanley

Stanley Pro Boat Scrubber

Name:
    Spooker
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
    You make it sound like a bad thing. Something has to be done to insure the survivability of the Thresher fishery. Slot limits, punch cards, whatever...bring it on. JMO

4. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    You can start by thanking all the fuckers that insist on dragging 2-3 a day every week on their boat or to the scale.

Need I list the dickheads that want to argue about this.

5. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Oh don't get me wrong, anytime they can do something to preserve/sustain a fishery, it's a good thing. Just file it under: if we can't police ourselves, then they will do it for us.

This post is aimed at the abusers of the resource. Those who went out and repeatedly banged on these fish, taking every fish that that came alongside the boat.

One idea on the table is a tag much like a deer tag in hunting. You pay for the tag which gives you the right to harvest one thresher a year. I'd support that.

6. big steve

big steve Member

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2100 cc polar
    GOOD!!!!

7. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    It's just a matter of time. Internet fishery.

"In SoCal Threshers have emerged as an intense recreational fishery with a take that is at or exceeding the commercial take."

How do they know this?

8. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    We just had Craig Heberer, Fisheries Biologist, NOAA Southwest Region Sustainable Fisheries Division at our last club meeting (TONS of Thresher info that night), and he said it was going to happen. The preliminary regs will be formulated soon with the finals presented sometime this Fall to DFG. They will then take effect for the Spring of 2009.

As he told us, the shark fishing regs are too broad as they stand now (2 sharks per person, per day) which is a lot. The sharks are also coming to our coast to have their pups, which averages 2 pups per female. He told us that the regs will probably reduce the limit to one, closure of a few months of the season to allow them to have their pups unmolested, and maybe gear restrictions like circle hooks only. Remember, this is only examples and he will ask for some input later from us, working toward making the fishing better for us in the future.

They have also been working on methods to reduce the tail-hooking incidence of threshers so that if you want to release a shark, you can. This is what they have come up with: They have been trolling their lures without any hooks and lighter drags. When the thresher comes up and wacks the lure with its tail, you get a short zip off the reel. Now instinctually, the shark is looking for a stunned or dead bait in the area and you have obliged them by dropping back a dead mack pinned with a circle hook , on heavy gear, with the boat slipped into neutral after the strike. The shark comes in looking for the dead bait, and eats the dead mack he finds sinking behind your boat. They are reporting over 90% mouth hooked sharks with this method and also a much better fight with the sharks able to jump out of the water like a marlin because their tails have not become incapacitated with a lure. If the shark is a pregnant female, which is easily identified by the lack of "clasper" fins in the annal area, then you can let it go if you choose.

They were a wealth of information that evening and had some killer video footage of threshers. They towed a video camera in front of the lures and you could watch as the sharks stalked the lures for a few minutes before they come in and nailed the lure with their tails.

I will keep everyone posted as they feed us the info.

9. talltale

talltale Member

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
    They moniter this website and others.

10. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Mike, Craig Herberer addressed this particular point (How do they know?) at great length at our last function. He told us that the commercial guys are only allowed something like 100 tons of sharks annually. With statewide surveys and watching websites such as Bloodydecks (yes he mentioned it by name) they are estimating the sportfishing take at about 120 tons, which is larger than the commercial take. He mentioned that this shark fishery is one of the only fisheries that he knows of where the sportfisherman take more than the commercials. He also mentioned that the commercials are not allowed to harvest during the pupping season and the sportfisherman are.

They are honestly trying to make the fishing better (and protect it for the future) as the panel that was there that evening, were all sportfisherman themselves , owning a tricked out Boston Whaler.

11. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Craig also addressed this point as a possibility.

12. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    I would be very happy to see this tag enforced.

13. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Thanks Dwayne, this is precisely the information I was trying to draw out.

Additional item on the method is that you can do with out the teaser lures and just straight slow troll weighted bridled or nose hooked live baits, trolled barely in gear to stop the line going out. They will either whack it with the tail, or just inhale it. In either case, stop the boat and wait and see. If it was inhaled, the reel will be screaming. If it was not inhaled, soon it should be. Again, the reel will be screaming and simply push the drag up and you're on. No need to troll a cluster fuck of baits and teasers. Just two lines is fine. Then get on the fish with the boat. Unlike a tail hooked thresher, which mostly just dogs you straight down, a mouth hooked thresher will jump and will challenge you with abrupt direction changes coupled with putting on the afterburners. With proper boat handling, you can make their tail work for you and bring a very energetic fish alongside for a quick release. Probably can get away with straight mono leaders using the circle hooks. Because you are not burdened with a several hundred pound fish to deal with, you can quickly reload and do another. It's a totally different experience.

14. aladin61

aladin61 Newbie

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    12' Sears fiberglass with a 5hp Honda
    I would like to see the video's....

15. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Yep, and they're better at the estimated weights too:imdumb:

16. BigJoe

BigJoe No fish in O'side

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    26', Striper, Wage Burner
    They did the same presentation at the Oside Yatch Club last month great information, and videos. They mentioned the "explosion" of recreational fishing for this species and how to release more threshers alive using different methods and gear. They also mentioned regulation changes would be coming in the near future due to the increased popularity of catching sharks. I completely agree with any regulations imposed to protect the species.