Pesca en Midrriff area (Gonzaga Bay area)

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by steelfish, Sep 20, 2016.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey amigos,
    I went fishing this past weekend, it was not the best day, not the best tide, and not the best catches but surely tons x better than a day at the office or a boring Sunday watching TV.
    fishing was slow during most of the day, it was just few moments before calling it a day when we found a nice spot with few hungry triggerfish which are tons of fun to catch and trolling around of one of the Islands gave us two decent fish, a leopard grouper and another grouper (I dont know the exact name), one of the guys caught a Reyna grouper ( a bright incandecent yellow grouper) but we wanted it to returned it alive and since we made the release so fast that I forgot to take pictures of the beautiful fish.
    anyway, landscapes of the Enchanted Islands are always beautiful

this was our boat at 4:15am, a nice equiped Panga with electronics and a lot of saved points to get you on the fish
    [​IMG]

that place ahead was our destination
    [​IMG]

to the sea we went
    [​IMG]

a nice big yellow spotted bass, give or take 25" and 8-9#, Baja Special reel got all the action this day
    [​IMG]

then a decent grouper bit the pink mirrolure, again Baja Special did it really good
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have chance to try the Fathom 40LD2 with some nice triggerfish, man!! just love this reel too, I know triggers are nothing against the 2-speed reel but I have chance to test how to move the lever all over the the way, test the low speed, etc. looking forward try it on a bigger fish now
    [​IMG]

this is picture from the first Island to the rest of them
    [​IMG]

many ceviches and few nice dinners over here
    [​IMG]

in my way back home, still 1hr to go you find this beautiful landscape
    [​IMG]

looking forward my next fishing trip and thest the Fathom LD2 with bigger fish and also test some upgraded parts made for the Baja Special

2. KennyKorvina

KennyKorvina Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Valco
    Well even if not the most exciting cooler of fish, it is without a doubt a tasty one! Ceviche ON!

3. 2GORDOS

2GORDOS Member

Name:
    ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
    Boat:
    22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
    How's that Panguero? I got his card from his bro whose a Panguero on the Tony Reyes? Is he any good?

4. chevydeuce

chevydeuce Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Boat:
    14' MirroCraft
    That's a few miles north of Gonzaga, right?

5. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    you can bet that buddy, although that Cabrilla and the small grouper is super tasty on the grill (sarandeado style ..baby)

totally recomend it, Bebo the owner used to work with tony reyes Sr and Tony Jr for many years, since few years ago he wanted to have his own pangas, he now owns two pangas, one ready for 6-7 persons and one for 4-5 persons, both with electronics and nice fishing equipment (rod & reels), not just 4/0 and jigmasters, good english and knows the golden riff area and gonzaga pretty good, if you want more details send me a PM, I know him from few years now.

yep, the good fishing starts on Bufeo camp (few miles north gonzaga), there is the big island, the Salvatierra island, then all the rest of the island are to the north pretty close each other, you need to try them all in the same day to catch different fishes.

6. Big A's

Big A's Newbie

Name:
    TD
    Boat:
    209 Grady White Escape
    Thanks for the report. One question. Where is Bebo located at. At times we don't trailer our boat down from San Diego but still want to hit the reef or the islands. And how much does he charge.

7. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Bebo is located in San Felipe, he normally take his panga and lauch at Puertecitos ramp to the Golden reef or Islands.
    price depends on the number of persons and place, but not much different than the rest of the panga charters out thee .. send you P.M