Backlash
Apr 30, 2003
Hesperia, CA
Visit site
Name
Dave Dwiers
Boat
20 Skipjack, BACKLASH
I want to put an electronic ignition kit on my '80 Skipjack with Volvo/GM 305, V-8, anyone have any experience with 'em? Best place to buy? Any problems?
Thanks

Rob E

Yo soy su poppi...
Mar 15, 2003
Yorba Linda
Name
Rob Espinosa
Boat
La launcha se fue...
Awesome product for gas engines with breaker-type ignitions. I had the igniters on a a few gas boats and they never let me down.

Used to be a company called Ignitioneering in Anaheim (aka OC Speed), but they moved to Fresno area and I don't know how to contact them. Bob was the owner and was a genius with distributor re-curving & blueprinting.

Rob

RASTA

Oct 23, 2004
riverside
Name
richard
Boat
boatless now
they suck!!period.get yourself an hei distributor out of a chevy truck or car!you can find them easily in junk yards.about 50.00.350 engine or 305 same distributor.id put a new cap and rotor and plug wires on it at least.youll have to change the wire going to the positive side of the distributor in your boat now.(because the one you have now is a resisitor wire supplies low voltage to point and condensor style ignition.)replace it with a 10 gauge wire all the way to where it gets its power supply.trust me,,,HEI is far ,far better than that pertronix set up!youll also have to gap you spark plugs more with hei electronic ignition.hope this helps.feel free to contact me if you have any questions--------rasta

Backlash

Backlash
Apr 30, 2003
Hesperia, CA
Visit site
Name
Dave Dwiers
Boat
20 Skipjack, BACKLASH
Interesting, never heard of anyone going that way. Does the 10 Ga. wire run all the way from the ignition switch? Does the coil need to be changed also? I'm also thinking of changing out the Q-jet carb to an Edelbrock.
Dave

RASTA

Oct 23, 2004
riverside
Name
richard
Boat
boatless now
the coil is in the distributor.you only need to change the wire up to the power block,,,unless the resisitor wire does go to the switch-rasta

four bs

Dec 27, 2005
newport beach
Name
Mike Bruce
Boat
25 skipjack Four B's
Only one problem with GM HEI they are not spark protected meaning fuel in the bilge can explode and isn't uscg approvedfor marine use and if your insurance company would never pay if they found that distributoron your boat.

radarman

Sep 12, 2003
Kapolei
Name
Jer
Boat
You selling? I'm buying!
They work as advertised but a lot of places are "special order only" if you need parts (which is nearly never). I've had a problem with the old owner f-ing it up. Someone peeled the plastic coating off the ring with eight magnets in it and one of the magnets fell out so I was running on seven. Took me forever to figure it out. Not Pertronix fault. Had to buy a new kit to get the mag ring. Comes with 3 sets of springs so you can tweek your motor power curve wise. Pretty much fool proof. Size of pins in the distributor the counters pivot on might be a concern. I had to get new plastic inserts for mine. 70 bucks each is cheap (kragen) and I had to pay about 85 at a performance place in CV. WD-40 the shit out of your distributor. My springs were rusting bad.

Scrapper

Oct 8, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
Name
Mike
Boat
26' Shamrock Pilot House
I've used pertronix on Ford engines with no problems. But I have heard of them failing. So I always carry an extra on board as well as a complete set of points, the old coil and a ballast resistor. I've never had to change them out but it was nice knowing that I could.

Thats what I hate and love about my old fashion motor. It's more likely to break down but if it does I stand a good chance of getting it back running at sea. Not so with an EFI motor.

SAGE

Aug 18, 2004
Point Loma / Cardiff
Name
shitball
Boat
Stringari
Scrapper said:
I've used pertronix on Ford engines with no problems. But I have heard of them failing. So I always carry an extra on board as well as a complete set of points, the old coil and a ballast resistor. I've never had to change them out but it was nice knowing that I could.

Thats what I hate and love about my old fashion motor. It's more likely to break down but if it does I stand a good chance of getting it back running at sea. Not so with an EFI motor.
10-4 that, I stick with the simple engines i can work on . It's so important to be able to diagnose and fix a problem at sea.

Backlash

Backlash
Apr 30, 2003
Hesperia, CA
Visit site
Name
Dave Dwiers
Boat
20 Skipjack, BACKLASH
Radarman, are you saying you got the Pertronix at Kragen or the inserts? And I agree, I can usually figure out the older engines but the new stuff is pure hocus-pocus.

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
I put a set in a 65 mustang. Tokk 10 minutes. Been running sweet for over a year now. WARNING: don't leave the ignition on without the motor running. This will kill the pertronix unit.