Iron Chucker
Aug 12, 2014
Carnation (Seattle)
Name
jack-e
Boat
Intrepid, Ms Magoo
Nomad looks really nice, agree NONONO SKB(or other) boxes on deck

I have big SKB and it works fine on a middle shelf too, except for the rocket launchers

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
I bring wayyyyyyyy tooooo much shit EVERYTIME.
I tried to put some stuff in a smaller box than my big dawg SKB for local trips, but I just made that one too heavy also.
I have a problem. I need professional help.
......... ya, help lifting and carrying my tackle box, lol

Upvote 0

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now GW Gulfstream
I have the Okuma nomad tackle roller bag and it’s amazing. I went on a 7 day this year and it carried all the tackle I needed and more. I put my floro on top with some mono spools and still had plenty of space. It’s extra durable and even with water being splashed on it, it doesn’t show fading or any wear and tear.
The one wear problem I'm seeing is that the axle is getting pretty rusty on my Nomad. I highly recommend making cleaning/corrosion prevention for the axle as a part of your cleanup process when you get home - or replace it with a stainless rod.

Reactions: Shon
Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
I admit I bring too much stuff. I frequently remark that my stateroom looks like a tackle shop. And yeah, I get the OK from my room mates when the shop is "open".

I just bring a lot of bags, and keep just my WFO tackle bag on the rack.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I admit I bring too much stuff. I frequently remark that my stateroom looks like a tackle shop. And yeah, I get the OK from my room mates when the shop is "open".

I just bring a lot of bags, and keep just my WFO tackle bag on the rack.

Have to love that in a bunk mate Jim!!!

Upvote 0

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
    Socal, Poway
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Lund alaskan
    Not only do the skb’s take up too much room, they fall over in rough weather with rods in the frigging launchers and the owners tend to push other bags to the back so they can have the upfront spot. It’s more a “horay for me fuc everyone else” attitude.
    I get by fine with an old medium WFO backpack with extra leaders and a tray or two in my bunk and still only use a fraction of what I bring.

Upvote 0

CV-Wayne

Jan 25, 2014
    Castro Valley
    Name
    Wayne
    Boat
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    I made this box for my first long range trip on the Excel. I knew my boarding number wouldn't get me a top shelf spot, so I had Jason get me the height of the opening on the second shelf and designed around that measurement. As you can see I was going for a utilitarian box, not a fancy box.

tb1.jpg

Its just a tad wider than the large SKB, but holds a lot more tackle with 8 plano boxes, a drawer for misc stuff and a work platform. I also have a slide out rod holder on the right so that I can work with rod I need at the moment and the slide it back in so its out of the way.

tb2.jpg

Upvote 0

casamiller

I Think I'm Bit...
    Jun 20, 2012
    San Clemente, CA
    Name
    Greg and Ryan Miller
    Boat
    24' Regulator
    I made this box for my first long range trip on the Excel. I knew my boarding number wouldn't get me a top shelf spot, so I had Jason get me the height of the opening on the second shelf and designed around that measurement. As you can see I was going for a utilitarian box, not a fancy box.

View attachment 887540

Its just a tad wider than the large SKB, but holds a lot more tackle with 8 plano boxes, a drawer for misc stuff and a work platform. I also have a slide out rod holder on the right so that I can work with rod I need at the moment and the slide it back in so its out of the way.

View attachment 887542

Great ideas....what was the height you built to?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Shit, that is problem no matter what kind of tackle box or bag one has.
    Well, with the trend towards taller tackle bags, a definite problem. And those taller bags with up to five trays are prone to toppling over onto the deck. Very unstable. My bag is the Large Barona bag by Shimano. Fits nicely on the shelf and allows easy access to the top compartment. I only carry two trays, 3700 size, one for hooks and weights, one for jigs. A 3600 size tray fits in one of the side pockets, for topshot materials. My small 15” wide duffel stays in the stateroom until I need it to top off a reel with spectra or get to some of the heavier coils of fluorocarbon.

Reactions: chamackO
    Upvote 0

CV-Wayne

Jan 25, 2014
    Castro Valley
    Name
    Wayne
    Boat
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    And are those 3600 or 3700 size trays? Nice box!

Thanks Steve. All boxes are 3700 series:

Left side
    #1 - Drawer
    #2 - 3701
    #3 - 3701&3750 or this slot can take a 3731 for my marauders
    #4 - 3750

Right side
    #5 - 3701
    #6 - 3700
    #7 - 3750
    #8 - 3780

Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
    Norco
    Name
    Roger Nelson
    Boat
    Ranger Z20
    I only leave the rig I'm fishing with in the launcher, when we make a move or are on the troll. I keep all my other rods in the rack where they are supposed to be.

I too hate when guys load up the launchers with their rods at the tackle station and leave them there. They are handy for rigging before doing battle, but shouldn't be used for storage while the boat is fishing.

I try to be as considerate as possible.

Upvote 0

floydlpackard

Jan 24, 2012
    Kennewick, WA USA
    Name
    Floyd
    Boat
    none

View attachment 887540

View attachment 887542
    I really like your box. Nice solution on multiple levels. Front loading, made so the front shelf will open flat, can slide in where others don't use, swing out rod holder. Saw the problem and solved it yourself. I would be interested in how the slide out rod holder works.
    Thanks

Upvote 0

d105

Almost A Member
    Dec 16, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    d105
    Boat
    Fish Cat 4
    I like the Okuma Medium Roller. Large enough for most of what I need. Has wheels for easy rolling. The rod holders are there in the event you can use them. Fairly small footprint.
    It can be a bit tippy so I make sure that lead goes in the lowest tray and heavy jigs go just above that.
    Tight lines!

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
    Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
    Jun 1, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    sold! / cattle boat
    I keep coming back to the Calcutta bag...how'd you make your decision between the medium vs large? How has it been for you? And, how are the wheels/handle holding up when fully loaded? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but would love to hear your pro's/con's - thanks!
    Eric
    The chick knew I needed a roller bag & got me the medium Calcutta.
    Thats not going to work as it doesnt have 3700 full size plano boxes, they are smaller.
    Think thats a deal breaker for me.
    My question is how does someone decide between the largest Calcutta vs the largest Okuma Nomad.....

hate the larger deep tray on the nomad...
    hate the cell, camera, sunglass storage on the Calcutta...

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Eric
    The chick knew I needed a roller bag & got me the medium Calcutta.
    Thats not going to work as it doesnt have 3700 full size plano boxes, they are smaller.
    Think thats a deal breaker for me.
    My question is how does someone decide between the largest Calcutta vs the largest Okuma Nomad.....

hate the larger deep tray on the nomad...
    hate the cell, camera, sunglass storage on the Calcutta...
    I just replaced the one large Deep Tray , on mine and I like
    a lot better.

Upvote 0

caveman

Almost A Member
    May 1, 2006
    windsor,ca
    Name
    charles boyd
    Boat
    20 ft. jetcraft,ciocc
    Here's a mod I made to my SKB box. I didn't care for my jigs banging around on the their hanger holes, and when it was full of jigs it took awhile to find the one I'd want. I cut out the hanger holes, and use the Plano boxes in the photos. It now holds a lot more jigs, and easier to find the one I want. Now if only I could untangle it from the others.........

EFFD2C44-F295-4755-A0BA-83BB0517AABD.jpeg
    556EB155-9706-44FA-8F9B-09E0BF45C4B6.jpeg

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
    Aug 26, 2011
    fresno, ca usa
    Name
    donna
    Boat
    reel lady
    I have the Okuma soft roller tackle box. I had to fiberglass a one inch section on the front bottom legs to level the box. The box is build to lean forward, but when rods on in it, it will tip over.

Reactions: pgangler
    Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
    Aug 26, 2011
    fresno, ca usa
    Name
    donna
    Boat
    reel lady
    Eric, I trashed the large tray on the bottom shelf of the Okuma roller bag and replaced with the same size as the others. Works great and all trays slide nicely

Upvote 0

pescadito

Aug 20, 2007
    rosemead, ca
    Name
    john
    Boat
    n/a
    One thing to consider that I think is a big difference between the Nomad and the Calcutta bags is that the Calcutta has hand holes for carrying into its final resting spot. The Nomad has a shoulder strap which I personally like better in terms of carrying when rolling has stopped being the option.

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
    Jun 1, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    sold! / cattle boat
    One thing to consider that I think is a big difference between the Nomad and the Calcutta bags is that the Calcutta has hand holes for carrying into its final resting spot. The Nomad has a shoulder strap which I personally like better in terms of carrying when rolling has stopped being the option.

http://www.calcuttaoutdoors.com/gea...rer-rolling-tackle-bag-with-5-3700-trays.html

Calcutta just came out with thing & it's huge!
    Has it's pros & cons also.
    Fishermans Landing has a bunch of them.

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
    Sep 27, 2004
    Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
    Name
    Bill Parker
    Boat
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Mark Mayo's boxes are actually a tackle center with rod holders tie downs and hook tying loops. In actuality they are not all that expensive just a bit more than a quality reel. You can customize it to your needs and it will be passed down to your grand kids. Check them out!

Upvote 0