Andrey320

May 8, 2013
Calabasas
Name
Andrey
Boat
Boston Whaler Dauntless 15
(video added)
After a bunch of tries this season (for WSB, YT, halibut and even Marlin), finally got one to show off. Got a half scoop mix anchovy/sardines from Ciscos. Expectations were low with the slow counts and cold water (62/63). Made our first stop maybe half way around the backside for some exciting but fruitless shark/ray/whitefish fishing on the dropper loop. Most of mine were bitten off at the loop. Made an on-the-fly decision to circumnavigate the island which ended up paying off. Stopped for lunch in the bay just South of West end. Put out the dropper loops and one fly-line with a 1/4 oz weight to keep it away from the birds. As it usually happens (when you least expect it) I look over at the arching "bass rod" with line peeling off with a piece of chicken dipped into hummus with a bunch of olive oil dripping on my hand. I gobble the chicken and grab the rod. Wheel the drag on the little bass reel to just barely slow the fish down. It fought kind of wierd with real violent headshakes and strong runs for the first 10 minutes. Then we settled into another 10ish minutes of sustained tug of war. Seeing color was a blessing (not a giant ray or BSB), an almost perfect (although a bit risky) gaff shot rounded out "the perfect catch". Totally stoked to have opportunities like this and sometimes have it come together. Fish barely hit 30lb (my guess was 34) which is my new personal best by 2lb. A nice dive and a dozen BIG black mussels rounded out the catch. Big thank you to captain Cameron (and his 21 Baja Bayrunner "Fish On") for keeping me around as his deckhand and encouraging me not to tighten the drag.
80-img_0815_c15ce6bcedace07b4dceb49bf547d1b35d3dad19.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
Jul 7, 2017
Pasadena
Name
Greg
Boat
Parker 2310
Nice job Andre. Kinda hate you but, I'm just a little bitter (jealous). Good instincts heading to west end. Picture looks like Fortney's. We went out Saturday afternoon for a weekend at Cruz. Tried front east end then went around back side. No current to be found anywhere. Metered lots of game fish and bait so decided to wait it out for some current. Finally got some current about a half hour before dark. Drifted across smugglers for lots of short cudas for an hour before current shut down. Anchored near hungrymans for the night with no current. Morning started with no current near east end and stayed that way. Around noon Sunday tucked tail and moved to the gap for some fish taco meat.
Sorry for jumping in on your report. Ours wasn't worth it's own post. Hope to see you out there.

Reactions: willytime
Upvote 0

Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
Jul 7, 2017
Pasadena
Name
Greg
Boat
Parker 2310
Great fish congrats! We were in the same area and had a few big mystery fish that we didn’t land...
Hey Casey, Sorry I didn't catch your reply til Saturday morning. Tried hailing around 4:30pm Saturday on suggested channel. We're usually out there 2-all weekends a month. Motor up and say hi if you see us out there. We can usually provide the dope on what's not working.

Upvote 0

Steelhead1

Almost A Member
Aug 8, 2009
Camarillo, CA
Name
Casey
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 250
Hey Casey, Sorry I didn't catch your reply til Saturday morning. Tried hailing around 4:30pm Saturday on suggested channel. We're usually out there 2-all weekends a month. Motor up and say hi if you see us out there. We can usually provide the dope on what's not working.
Thanks Greg sorry we missed you. I'll hit you up later this month. Am going to chase tuna somewhere down south this coming weekend.

Upvote 0

Andrey320

May 8, 2013
Calabasas
Name
Andrey
Boat
Boston Whaler Dauntless 15
Thank you Greg and Lou.

Greg, I get skunked a lot, so I deserve this one.... Whats your boats name? 23 Parker with ? See you out there!

Upvote 0

Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
Jul 7, 2017
Pasadena
Name
Greg
Boat
Parker 2310
Greg, I get skunked a lot, so I deserve this one.... Whats your boats name? 23 Parker with ? See you out there![/QUOTE]

Utterly Wet, name is also on transom.

Boat in slip.jpg

Upvote 0