Personal best lobster fishing on Sunday.

PENN

TheMan90241

Aug 28, 2012
Downey/CA/Los Angeles
Name
Terry
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2301 W/A
So a friend and I went out Sunday night to hoop one of our old reliable spots. The wind and swell conditions were acceptable and the tide swing was fair so we pulled the trigger and went. It was daylight savings, so we had the nets baited and set by 4:30 pm. We started pulling at 5:45 which we thought might have been a little early. We were SO WRONG. In our very first net, my buddy started pulling and he said... "I feel it kicking." When he got the net on board I turned on the deck light and could not believe my eyes. Not only were there 4 legal lobster in that net, but there were 12 short ones too!!! 16 total lobster in that one net alone. By our third net, we had 10 legals on board. I instructed my buddy to begin stacking the rest of the nets he pulled. By net number 10, we had exactly 14 legal lobster. We hurried back and scooped up the first three nets. We were done hooping by 6:25 pm!!!! Amazing night. We motored back to the marina, cleaned the boat, took care of our catch, drove home, put away the boat and I was home in time to watch the start of the 10 o'clock news. That's is my personal best for fastest limit and most lobster in a single net. I need more trips like that.
smile.gif

Upvote 0

Jaact

Almost A Member
Aug 3, 2014
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Yes
Holy quick limits! What was your bait?

Upvote 0

Saintwho

Almost A Member
Jul 25, 2014
Name
Chris
Boat
2101WA
sane bait I used a couple weeks ago, did not limit as fast as you, but we got it done. The mackerel was actually chewed to the bones in many cages. Nice haul man and superfast... [email protected]

Reactions: TheMan90241
Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Congrats on the limits, but here is a tip... Reach in and throw over the obvious shorts right away, throw the obvious legals in the tank and measure the others quickly and get back to pulling.

If you did get rolled up on and had 12 shorts in the boat while you were drinking around they technically can write you up, the rule states that they must be measured at the surface of the water and can't be brought on a boat.

Here is some constructive criticism, that took way too long,I have pulled a whole string of 10 in the time it took for you to sort out 1

Upvote 0

TheMan90241

Aug 28, 2012
Downey/CA/Los Angeles
Name
Terry
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2301 W/A
Mike, duly noted on eyeballing the big ones and quickly releasing the shorts. We are on the same page with that. In this case, they were all pretty close and had to measured. As far as measuring them at the water's surface... I'm going to employ the common sense rule on this one. Its unsafe to be hanging over the rail and four feet down in my boat. I do appreciate your intent to educate the general angling public on the regs. And.. I will always work at my own pace, regardless of how slow or fast in comparison.

Upvote 0

keada714

Jun 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Mark
Boat
None
Awesome report! I would be jumping up and down if my net came up like that! Also good information about the quickly measuring the bugs.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Putting shorts back in the hoopnet and then dumping them,interesting technique !

Upvote 0

geramiecg

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
OC
Name
Geramie
Boat
2021 22 ft Bayliner T22CC Trophy center console
Great job Terry. Nice catch and thanks for giving my son and me a couple of salmon heads a few weeks ago. We have since been to see Carla and bought two cases of salmon heads for lobster fishing. Hope to see you out there and good again luck next time!!

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I will have to reconsider my net-puller for the next trip. I'm taking a lot of flack for his flawed "techniques." :D
You throw the shorts back into the water.Dont put them back into the net so when they get dumped you tear legs and antenaes off.Im gonna go ahead and say it,kooks.

Reactions: TheMan90241
Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
Nice job on the limits and what a quick trip.

We did that in LB last year. All huge bugs 14 of them. Boat back on the trailer by 8pm. Personal best for us as well.

Upvote 0