Performance opinions on the Skipjack-24 FB Hull design vs. the Skipjack-25 Sport Fisher Hardtop?

Feb 13, 2005
Cottonwood, ca
Name
JP Green
Boat
SkipJack-20 Skipjack-24
I'm going to inspect a Skipjack-25 Sport Fisher Hardtop Friday ( no FB- 350 Volvo Penta Duo) and do a sea trial. I fish in some pretty rough waters in upper northern ca sometimes, and to date it's been in my old Skipjack-20 open which performs great.

I got a Skipjack-24 fly bridge in on a trade recently, but I'm thinking for my needs the FB would be a pain in the ass for salmon trolling. Second helm station would be to costly. So I'm going to take a look at the 25, and maybe sell my other 2.

What would be some key things to check on the 25?

Any thoughts or opinions on the subject would be a great help.. Thanks -Pat

Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat
2 Skipjack Sports Cruisers both under construction
You don't mention what year it is. So from experience. 1. Fuel Tank 2. Stringers and Transom. 3 Wiring. 4 condition of wood behind the gunwale. 5 condition of wood in the cabin behind the helm station (kinda the bulkhead) and the same piece of wood on the other side. the windows leak and can cause these to rot. 6 Condition of the window seals. (very hard to find). I have 2 sport cruisers! One is a 1980 and is a project. I have had the stringers replaced, part of the transom replaced, fuel tank replaced, the above mentioned bulkheads replaced, completely removed the interior, removed windows and trying to find the seals to the windows. I also have a 1990 sportcruiser, which is in much better condition. but even that one needs the pedestals replaced. I am also replacing the engine and upgrading the electronics. If you have any other questions, or want a deal on a project boat, feel free to dm me.

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
Will you be able to launch a 24-25 at the cove? And yes... a bridge up here is very impractical. I went from a 20 open to a 25 fisherman (same hull, different cabin than sport fisher) and it’s a better, dryer ride. I rarely stuff the bow of the 25 and it was a normal and wet occurrence in the 20.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2005
Cottonwood, ca
Name
JP Green
Boat
SkipJack-20 Skipjack-24
It's a 1983 year. A least it's been covered. Looks to be in very good shape from the pics.

Do those look like loose window seals?
Bottom center.
8950829L.jpeg

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2005
Cottonwood, ca
Name
JP Green
Boat
SkipJack-20 Skipjack-24
How do you guys check for stringer and transom rot? Delimitation?

I normally tap and look for a dull sound. Spongy glass mat.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkipJack Boats
SkipJack Boats
SkipJack Boats
I drill small holes. If I get wood great! But if I get coffee grounds, that wood be dry rot. If it's a small area just inject some west resin I forgot the number 206?? slow cure. It act like a fungicide and kills dryrot.
But if it's a large area you will have to do some surgey on your boat.
Call if you need advice
BigMike
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2005
Cottonwood, ca
Name
JP Green
Boat
SkipJack-20 Skipjack-24
Will you be able to launch a 24-25 at the cove? And yes... a bridge up here is very impractical. I went from a 20 open to a 25 fisherman (same hull, different cabin than sport fisher) and it’s a better, dryer ride. I rarely stuff the bow of the 25 and it was a normal and wet occurrence in the 20.
Used to be able to. The charters all did.

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
That would be a prefect candidate for a FG House and you could put new rubbers in the new glass??? Food 4 Thought...Damn Clean, Great (Go Anywhere) Hull...Nice

Last edited:
Reactions: ShelterCoveman

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    I think used boat prices will be dirt cheap as the economy crumbles. Kalifuckeya Gub’mint printing more money as we speak, keeping boat prices high. Don’t pay more than you would have 2 years ago.

Flybridge skippies suck. They’re for Avalon cans and family man wannabe marlin men who couldn’t afford a sportfisher.

Upvote 0
    Feb 13, 2005
    Cottonwood, ca
    Name
    JP Green
    Boat
    SkipJack-20 Skipjack-24
    One thing that history has shown is the USA economy is amazingly resilient. No matter what idiot president gets into office. People still earn no matter what in some segments and now they are paying ridiculous boat prices, and many manufactures are backlogged. This has definitely brought up the value of used competition ski boats for instance. I think if the Skipjack I'm going to look at above, if it's in good shape that is a decent price. Well, for me- that boat hits all cylinders for what use I need and that means a lot. To me.

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    Ideally, you would drill small holes in the stringers and transom to check for water or rot. At the least, check the engine mount lag bolts and remove a few of the trim tab screws.

Upvote 0
    Feb 13, 2005
    Cottonwood, ca
    Name
    JP Green
    Boat
    SkipJack-20 Skipjack-24
    Owner just paid for a complete set of new goodyear trailer tires, $2500 new bearings and grease- 2001 Magic Tilt Aluminum Triple Axle. $3,800 in up to date complete maintenance and lift pump rebuild. New alt. Full records and receipts for the life of the boat. Furuno Radar extensive Garmin systems with through hull transducers. Runs like new. Transom and stringers solid. Was never moored full time. Just excited and ready to fish this salmon season starts Tuesday. I'm very happy at $16,500.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Windy Bay
    Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    And Windshield wipers...Very Nice! Looks like it was made just for that boat (of course), My point is Doesn't stick out like a sore "You know what". Im sure its WAY Better.

Upvote 0

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
    Dec 1, 2012
    Fortuna CA
    Name
    Kris
    Boat
    25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
    Wow, the guy that build that is brilliant! Hey, wait a minute, that's my boat! Love my skippy now that I put a pilot house on it. was not so good in snotty weather before with the open sides, even with esinglass.
    Very well done sir!

Upvote 0