Penultimate hoop trip 03/02

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
It’s a bit sad to me as my first lobster season is coming to a close, just when I was starting to get a view things figured out. (Although it seems like I am barely scratching the surface of the mysterious lobster code, another month or two would have really helped build upon what I have gleaned so far). I know, cry me a river.....we live in a beautiful location and can fish year round, but hey, I want my cake and eat it too😎.

Anyway, got over to Catalina around 3 PM and was greeted by literally foam lines of anchovies being destroyed by mackerel and bonito. The schools of anchovies that were lucky enough to escape that carnage moved further from shore only to meet a similar fate. It was truly a spectacle. Needless to to say, we had plenty of fresh bait for our bait tubes.

Hoops in the water by 5:45/6:00PM started pulling at 6:40PM. We were fortunate to find an area with a decent number of willing participants crawling into the hoops over the next few hours. Mostly females, 30-50’, strong downhill current, with limits (14) achieved by around 10:15PM.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    It’s a bit sad to me as my first lobster season is coming to a close, just when I was starting to get a view things figured out. (Although it seems like I am barely scratching the surface of the mysterious lobster code, another month or two would have really helped build upon what I have gleaned so far). I know, cry me a river.....we live in a beautiful location and can fish year round, but hey, I want my cake and eat it too😎.

Anyway, got over to Catalina around 3 PM and was greeted by literally foam lines of anchovies being destroyed by mackerel and bonito. The schools of anchovies that were lucky enough to escape that carnage moved further from shore only to meet a similar fate. It was truly a spectacle. Needless to to say, we had plenty of fresh bait for our bait tubes.

Hoops in the water by 5:45/6:00PM started pulling at 6:40PM. We were fortunate to find an area with a decent number of willing participants crawling into the hoops over the next few hours. Mostly females, 30-50’, strong downhill current, with limits (14) achieved by around 10:15PM.
    Way to git er done skipper!!!!

Reactions: Hey-19
    Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Next season will just be better.
    1614864994563.png

Reactions: Hey-19
    Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Mark your spots that produce on your GPS; soon you will have several to chose from as some will dry up as the season goes. Looks like you found a honey hole congratulations and Thanks for the Report

Upvote 0