Penn Rods

Freeman02

Aug 23, 2020
Chula Vista
Name
Joe Dee
Boat Name
Freeman
Does anyone have any experience or reviews on the Penn mariner 2 6' 60-100 braid rods or the Rampage 7'6" 60-100 braid rods. I will be mounting a Penn fathom 40 2LVD 80# braid and 50 mano to floro . was thinking for yoyoing and maybe some live line for some 50# to 60# class tuna. I'm a bit on a budget any suggestions would be great

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
Does anyone have any experience or reviews on the Penn mariner 2 6' 60-100 braid rods or the Rampage 7'6" 60-100 braid rods. I will be mounting a Penn fathom 40 2LVD 80# braid and 50 mano to floro . was thinking for yoyoing and maybe some live line for some 50# to 60# class tuna. I'm a bit on a budget any suggestions would be great

Your reel is an excellent choice, and probably the best there is for those on a tight budget.
However, those rods are not really designed for tuna or other large pelagics.
The PENN rods designed for that reel [and your fishing application] are in the Carnage III series, which has several models that match that reel perfectly, and can handle tuna fishing duties.
If funds are extremely limited, you may also check out the "gently used" marketplace, but going after tuna with inadequate gear usually does not turn out well.

Reactions: esgeo and 2Rotten
Upvote 0

davidpratt

Jul 28, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
David Pratt
Boat Name
Not yet
I've used the Rampage 7'6" on my kayak. At like $80 I dont even worry about it getting dropped/broken. Biggest fish caught on it was a small thresher (wasnt fishing for threshers, was realing in a 10oz diamond jig while rock fishing then zzzzzzzzzzzzzz) and it worked fine but really wasnt a lot of pressure put on it as the kayak was just getting towed by the shark.

I dont know if I would want to fight a 50lb fish on it from a real boat but i guess it would probably survive.

I upgraded a little bit to a similar line class graftech for the kayak and it feels better made then the rampage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat Name
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I have a couple of the Rampage Spinning rods that I use for Albacore in Oregon, good swim bait and dead bait sticks. Built very tough. Stick with TunaNorth advice, go with purpose built sticks like the Penn Carnage III line for San Diego fish. You just never really know what size fish is going to take your bait, best to be prepared. Your choice of a Fathom 40 nld2 loaded with 80# braid is excellent, I use one for my 60# flyline rig and another on my UC Zeus-3 speed jigging stick (bigger Tuna).

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Freeman02

Aug 23, 2020
Chula Vista
Name
Joe Dee
Boat Name
Freeman

Upvote 0