PENN new product wish list

talltales

Oct 22, 2004
Ridgecrest Ca
Name
ron
Boat
2359 Trophy
Would love to have a two speed option for the high speed Fathom reel , the 7.1 ratio is great for getting bit, but it’s hard to reel in a large fish on that gear ratio.

Reactions: ripped
Upvote 0

Michael Macdonald

Overqualified Pinhead
Nov 5, 2019
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Michael Macdonald
Boat
Eldorado
How about a reel like the US senators but smaller like jigmaster size and like the 501 etc. There is just something about how tough those reels are and how great the cast too! I work on multiple boats and I need tough gear and the US series is about as tough as it gets and they fucking work! Yes before the lever drag guys get all horny, I know they are bulky and heavier and have less drag and the fathoms have metal on them too. But I can confidently say that the US senator could get drag behind a car all the way to landing and still work.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
All,
The ICAST show will be here in just a few months [OK, in July!].
What new reels and rods [or changes/mods in current models] in the PENN lineup would you like to see?
I need some ammo for the product development meetings we will have there.
I am primarily asking about "west coast" ideas, though ideas and changes that make overall improvements are also great.

So I'm a West coaster and I LOVE Penn products and I have lots so I must chime in. I could think of 3 or 4 things that I want and would love to see but none of them stand out as much as this.

BRING BACK THE INTERNATIONAL FLY REELS!!! Yes they are heavy but damn are they monsters! The weight is worth it. Honestly I like that they are heavy. They are just super simple savage reels. Maybe release them with Large Arbors. I would buy the whole set. I love my old ones but I can't get parts anymore. The carbon drag on my 4G is shot and I can't get a new one anywhere so it's operating at reduced drag. Honestly if you just started making the old design again I would be more than happy.

Please just bring it up. Obviously I understand you can't promise anything but if you just mentioned it I'd really appreciate it.

Keep Chargin'!!!

IMG_20191207_150158.jpg
IMG_20191207_150222.jpg

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    How about a reel like the US senators but smaller like jigmaster size and like the 501 etc. There is just something about how tough those reels are and how great the cast too! I work on multiple boats and I need tough gear and the US series is about as tough as it gets and they fucking work! Yes before the lever drag guys get all horny, I know they are bulky and heavier and have less drag and the fathoms have metal on them too. But I can confidently say that the US senator could get drag behind a car all the way to landing and still work.

Sounds like a Baja Jr... Penn are you hearing a trend???

Upvote 0

mitchman

Feb 19, 2007
    cape cod
    Name
    Mitchell Buck
    Boat
    none
    Northeast-coaster here. Couple things. I like what you have done with the higher end spinning reels as coffee grinders are still dominant here including Torque and Slammer, but it hasn't been enough to make me sell my Stellas or Van Staals. I think there could improvements the lower tier models from the Spinfisher down as they just haven't held up. My Daiwa BGs have held up great for inshore stripers, blues, sea bass, albies etc., and wish that penn would focus on a reel that was simple and durable in that price range. I sold a couple higher end inshore reels and bought a bunch of BGs and haven't looked back.

I can't wait to get my new Penn 70VIs wet this summer for trolling pelagics in the canyons and live baiting out east for giant bluefin. The only bummer is that it doesn't come with a reel cover like my Makairas did.

It would be great to see penn get back into the baitcaster market as I have been using Tranx/Komodos for my inshore jigging & bottom fishing needs. It would have to be durable like the komodo too...

I think that a 40N size star drag reel with an anti-reverse bearing and mechanical backup would be a great addition to the lineup. Having the infinite antireverse is a great benefit for jigging for pelagics. The whole deep dropping for tiles & swords is taking off like fire, and I think the 40N would be a good candidate for deep tiles at least. If you guys aren't already exploring that deep drop market then you are missing the bus!

Reactions: Michael Macdonald
    Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Bring back these 2 speed bait casters only bigger and made out of better materials.

Attachments

• AF6E5351-BDEF-45F3-83A2-C4DC2FC40B8A.jpeg
      AF6E5351-BDEF-45F3-83A2-C4DC2FC40B8A.jpeg
      643.6 KB · Views: 138
    • C300A200-2500-480F-9EF7-43FB7D833F72.jpeg
      C300A200-2500-480F-9EF7-43FB7D833F72.jpeg
      585.7 KB · Views: 136
    Reactions: CommanderPinhead
    Upvote 0
    Apr 9, 2019
    La Jolla
    Name
    Pinhead
    Boat
    Sporties
    Northeast-coaster here. Couple things. I like what you have done with the higher end spinning reels as coffee grinders are still dominant here including Torque and Slammer, but it hasn't been enough to make me sell my Stellas or Van Staals. I think there could improvements the lower tier models from the Spinfisher down as they just haven't held up. My Daiwa BGs have held up great for inshore stripers, blues, sea bass, albies etc., and wish that penn would focus on a reel that was simple and durable in that price range. I sold a couple higher end inshore reels and bought a bunch of BGs and haven't looked back.

I can't wait to get my new Penn 70VIs wet this summer for trolling pelagics in the canyons and live baiting out east for giant bluefin. The only bummer is that it doesn't come with a reel cover like my Makairas did.

It would be great to see penn get back into the baitcaster market as I have been using Tranx/Komodos for my inshore jigging & bottom fishing needs. It would have to be durable like the komodo too...

I think that a 40N size star drag reel with an anti-reverse bearing and mechanical backup would be a great addition to the lineup. Having the infinite antireverse is a great benefit for jigging for pelagics. The whole deep dropping for tiles & swords is taking off like fire, and I think the 40N would be a good candidate for deep tiles at least. If you guys aren't already exploring that deep drop market then you are missing the bus!
    Plenty of electronic units for the 2 speed reels to convert as an electronic.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Upvote 0

jiminoc

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 5, 2005
    Trabuco Canyon
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    boat-less but looking
    a solid Tranx/baitcaster competitor would be welcome.

Reactions: tzo85
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Northeast-coaster here. Couple things. I like what you have done with the higher end spinning reels as coffee grinders are still dominant here including Torque and Slammer, but it hasn't been enough to make me sell my Stellas or Van Staals.

Also of note, Van Staal is now a Pure Fishing brand; for the most part, you won't see duplicate models across the brands.

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    No I haven’t used it, kinda of an odd ball little reel. If it was 500 size with more rugged material could be like a 2 speed tranx

Upvote 0