tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I'm not sure why you made mention of only "west coast" ideas. I'm not trying to start shit but can we not have an opinion on this coast?! Hell, I see a lot of Penn products anytime I step on a boat. Plus, I've already seen the mention of a 15x in a star drag. Something I commented about when the lever drag first came out. You need ideas, ask all. Your consumers are world wide ya know!

No offense meant!
There are other people compiling ideas for many other areas.
As they are more familiar with those other areas than I am; I yield to their knowledge and experience.
My input is generally west-coast specific, as that is my background, and carries the most weight for me.
Certainly "general improvements" that help everyone, like higher-grade metals for gears, etc. etc, are not coast-specific. I won't pass those suggestions up.
Techniques like "Slow Pitch Jigging" and "Long Fall Jigging" are gaining traction on different coasts at different rates.
The majority [though not all] here at BDO are indeed west coasters, so I am trying to find out how enthused they are for that kind of specialty gear [for example].
Steve

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
No offense meant!
There are other people compiling ideas for many other areas.
As they are more familiar with those other areas than I am; I yield to their knowledge and experience.
My input is generally west-coast specific, as that is my background, and carries the most weight for me.
Certainly "general improvements" that help everyone, like higher-grade metals for gears, etc. etc, are not coast-specific. I won't pass those suggestions up.
Techniques like "Slow Pitch Jigging" and "Long Fall Jigging" are gaining traction on different coasts at different rates.
The majority [though not all] here at BDO are indeed west coasters, so I am trying to find out how enthused they are for that kind of specialty gear [for example].
Steve
I understand now Steve. Thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated! Anyone over here to send input to?

jmch75

Apr 28, 2017
San Diego
Name
Joe Curly
Boat
None
Steve,

Just picked up my 1st Fathom reel lever drag (25NLD2). It's pretty nice. Potential improvement in the next generation/iteration of the Fathoms.

The biggest wish I have is throwing the drag lever into strike should be super quick with a "positive hard stop". As it is today, there are about 4-5 "micro" settings through the range of the printing "S" "T" "R" "I" "K" E". It needs a hard "stop" so I know it's at some known drag setting. To get around this, I've seen a thread where people were commenting of setting their strike at the "Full" setting since it has a hard button stop. That works too, but the tradeoff is a very short range and likely non-linear drag increase when you want to bump it up a little, which goes to sunset, and that would likely be too much.

A few ways to address this, if it's considered a priority by Penn.
Ideal solution (IMO). Get rid of printing "FULL" and in that position, make it "STRIKE" and move the hard stop to "STRIKE". That would give you about half the arc travel to go past "STRIKE" by depressing the button, which would take you to "SUNSET". Added benefit, you might get a much more linear ramp up in drag to "MAX" at "Sunset", while hopefully maintaining a linear ramp up in drag from freespool to STRIKE.

The "1", "2", "3" is cool, but an improvement is detents or more "clickable" feedback when you go through each of these levels.

And of course, don't go backwards or cut costs on the improvements. SS main and pinion gears are great! Angular bearings, great! Also love the clicky feedback when I initially set the drag. That's great!

Ping Cal, perhaps he has some more ideas/improvement suggestions.

Last edited:

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
All,
The ICAST show will be here in just a few months [OK, in July!].
What new reels and rods [or changes/mods in current models] in the PENN lineup would you like to see?
I need some ammo for the product development meetings we will have there.
I am primarily asking about "west coast" ideas, though ideas and changes that make overall improvements are also great.
Here’s my take Steve that I shared last month when a fella BD’rs ask for what New for coming FHS & ICAST;

*Easy Access Features for Penn FATHOM Lever Drag Reels (like the one on Fathom II Star Drag)

* Penn FATHOM 15XNLD2 size....for SPJ & LFJ needs.

Thanks.

CommanderPinhead

“You merely adopted the bilge, I was born in it”
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Strike through full is typically used for pretty much the range of drag you’re going to be fishing while the fish is actually on. As an example sometimes backing off your drags when there is a ton of line off the reel as you’re fishing a reel that suddenly has more torque.

jig7

Mar 19, 2012
reno,nv, usa
Name
jeff
Boat
nunya
I would like to see fathom or squall price point reels that are star drag that cast/freespool well that are 60" retrieve like the fathom 40nldhs.

CommanderPinhead

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
@tunanorth Im not a huge fan of slow pitch jogging but here is a couple things that I think would be neat to see in Penn’s line up. I think an affordable reel similar to the ocea jigger has a place with penn. keep it similar to a fathom in terms of frame and drags to keep the price point lower; and features an auto engage clutch. Just messing around with that particular reel I understand why a reel like that has a place in SoCal. First off, it has a decent free spool and it’s pretty comfortable in the hand for a fly line set up. Second, it’s auto engage is kinda nifty for when you need to set the hook on a fish aside from using a circle hook. There is also the whole point where it makes sense if you are constantly working a jig... but I see a place with flylining. Modifying a 25N would probably work great or, taking the 15XN size as line would lay on it fairly evenly in a situation where you don’t have the time too, my .02. You’re not exactly casting a slow pitch reel so I Can understand why there isnt a line of wider reels similar to a 30 in size or 500 as you’re not casting those reels, but it makes sense. They don’t need a killer free spool.

I’ve only looked at slow pitch rods for maneuvering sculpin bombs and swimbaits in structure, not actively working a jig so I got nothin there.

Last edited:

Steven O.

Jan 27, 2020
On the water
Name
Steve
Boat
Boat ho
A redesign for the handle/ knob of the penn slammer 3. Great reel but the metal knob feels very awkward. The old Daiwa knobs were incredibly comfortable to grip. Maybe they can focus on less sharp angles

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Somebody Else's
I was also going to suggest a "baby baja", but the new P version of the Fathom SD in 25N size sorta obsoleted it in the lineup. The more robust build quality would be nice, but the price points would be roughly the same and the reel would probably be noticeably heavier so I'd still favor the Fathom for throwing iron. Now, if Penn were able to come up with a new "Torque 2" series with similar build to the previous but included captive innards for ease of maintenance AND brought the price point down $100 or so, you'd have a reel winner!

I've grown to really appreciate the capability and value of the Fathom LD2-speeds, but for me the most obvious area of potential improvement would be in the drag activation - easier to position "hard stops" at the key settings, especially during the excitement of hooking a fish, would be helpful. My 30 size, for example, can require a little fiddling sometimes to position the lever right at Strike without going over/under...

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
If you want to really test the skills of your engineers, have them try a two speed star drag reel. I know this is eventually going to happen, and being first to the market with one will be highly lucrative.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I think abu and a few others made 2 speed star drags, didn’t sell well. There’s a few 2 speed spinning reels . A 2 speed Baja special would be nice, the size of 501 or narrow 3/0 senator. 8-1 high, 3-1 low

CommanderPinhead

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
40N star would kill the Baja 113HN
Bet. I fish 80lb on 113HNs at times as a heavy duty dropper or yo-yo set up... I’ll take it over a 40NLD2 any day of the week for that purpose. Even chucking jigs for that matter. 113HNs are probably the tankiest reel ever made.

DennisV

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
And why do none of the travel rods that are available fit in a checked bag?
Some do. I have two 5 piece 11ft Daiwa surf rods and lots of 4 piece 9ft fly rods. Spigot ferrules work great. All fit in a standard suitcase. Beats the hell out of flying with the long rod Tube especially if you have a connecting flight. Especially if that fight has to go through Atlanta where your rod tube will get lost for sure.

So the maximum length for 3-piece rods should be 7 foot, for 4-Piece rods should be 9 foot, and for five piece rods should be 11 foot if you want them to fit in a standard suitcase.

fishboy93

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
It’d be nice to have a option between the bulky torque star drags and the cheap fathoms star drags. Something that isn’t to robust but also isn’t a graphite framed reel. Like a trinidads worst nightmare especially if there was a size slightly wider and taller than the 25n but not close to the 30s width or 40s height.

Latest posts