PENN new product wish list

Steven O.

Jan 27, 2020
On the water
Name
Steve
Boat
Boat ho
A redesign for the handle/ knob of the penn slammer 3. Great reel but the metal knob feels very awkward. The old Daiwa knobs were incredibly comfortable to grip. Maybe they can focus on less sharp angles

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
I was also going to suggest a "baby baja", but the new P version of the Fathom SD in 25N size sorta obsoleted it in the lineup. The more robust build quality would be nice, but the price points would be roughly the same and the reel would probably be noticeably heavier so I'd still favor the Fathom for throwing iron. Now, if Penn were able to come up with a new "Torque 2" series with similar build to the previous but included captive innards for ease of maintenance AND brought the price point down $100 or so, you'd have a reel winner!

I've grown to really appreciate the capability and value of the Fathom LD2-speeds, but for me the most obvious area of potential improvement would be in the drag activation - easier to position "hard stops" at the key settings, especially during the excitement of hooking a fish, would be helpful. My 30 size, for example, can require a little fiddling sometimes to position the lever right at Strike without going over/under...

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    If you want to really test the skills of your engineers, have them try a two speed star drag reel. I know this is eventually going to happen, and being first to the market with one will be highly lucrative.

Reactions: James Taylor
    Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    I think abu and a few others made 2 speed star drags, didn’t sell well. There’s a few 2 speed spinning reels . A 2 speed Baja special would be nice, the size of 501 or narrow 3/0 senator. 8-1 high, 3-1 low

Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    And why do none of the travel rods that are available fit in a checked bag?
    Some do. I have two 5 piece 11ft Daiwa surf rods and lots of 4 piece 9ft fly rods. Spigot ferrules work great. All fit in a standard suitcase. Beats the hell out of flying with the long rod Tube especially if you have a connecting flight. Especially if that fight has to go through Atlanta where your rod tube will get lost for sure.

So the maximum length for 3-piece rods should be 7 foot, for 4-Piece rods should be 9 foot, and for five piece rods should be 11 foot if you want them to fit in a standard suitcase.

Upvote 0

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
    West Coast
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    It floats
    It’d be nice to have a option between the bulky torque star drags and the cheap fathoms star drags. Something that isn’t to robust but also isn’t a graphite framed reel. Like a trinidads worst nightmare especially if there was a size slightly wider and taller than the 25n but not close to the 30s width or 40s height.

Upvote 0

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    There are some high end fly rods that have a small slot machined into the upper reel seat hood to act as a hook keeper.

Wouldn't it be great if every hook, jig, and popper was tucked away neatly like that in a sport boat rack. It wouldn't cost very much and it sure would save a lot of grief.

Reactions: Let em eat 74
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    It’d be nice to have a option between the bulky torque star drags and the cheap fathoms star drags. Something that isn’t to robust but also isn’t a graphite framed reel. Like a trinidads worst nightmare especially if there was a size slightly wider and taller than the 25n but not close to the 30s width or 40s height.
    The Fathoms aren't Graphite, they are cast aluminum. I think you are thinking of the Squalls?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    The Fathoms aren't Graphite, they are cast aluminum. I think you are thinking of the Squalls?

Correct; Fathoms are diecast aluminum frame/sideplate, and Squalls are graphite frame/sideplate.
    Also, the "bulky" Torque star drags were the "Gen1's", discontinued in 2010. The "Gen2" Torque star drags were the same frame size/configuration as the Fathoms.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    Upvote 0

jonhjax

Almost A Member
    Mar 20, 2019
    florida
    Name
    jon
    Boat
    n/a
    Here’s my take Steve that I shared last month when a fella BD’rs ask for what New for coming FHS & ICAST;

*Easy Access Features for Penn FATHOM Lever Drag Reels (like the one on Fathom II Star Drag)

* Penn FATHOM 15XNLD2 size....for SPJ & LFJ needs.

Thanks.
    Speaking of slow pitch, how about a Penn Fathom with stainless steel gears and a thumb bar in a size that will hold 400 yds. of 30 lb. braid or more? This reel would need to be about 18 oz. or less, preferably lighter. It would need to sell for less than $300 and could become a low price leader for the slow pitch technique. While I'm wishing for cool stuff, how about a "Thumb Bar Series" of reels in both star drag and lever drag in the Fathom and Torque series. A 30 or even a 40 size Fathom and/or Torque with a thumb bar and magnetic cast control for those who use monofilament that will hold 300 yds. or more of 30 and/or 40 lb. test. Have both high speed and lower speed models and even a two speed lever drag. These reels could be made off the same specs you already have for Fathom and Torque reels This seems like it would be a great surf fishing reel for fishing for big fish such as big red drum in the Outer Banks, etc. It also seems like it would be a useful reel for long range fishing.

Upvote 0

Cubanaso

Pezcador
    Aug 12, 2014
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    river sled
    Bet. I fish 80lb on 113HNs at times as a heavy duty dropper or yo-yo set up... I’ll take it over a 40NLD2 any day of the week for that purpose. Even chucking jigs for that matter. 113HNs are probably the tankiest reel ever made.

I agree have two of them, my favorite yoyo reel.

I'm referring to the market and the potential in sales of the baja special....also I mentioned 40N star not the 2 speed you refer to.

Reactions: Michael Macdonald
    Upvote 0
    Apr 9, 2019
    La Jolla
    Name
    Pinhead
    Boat
    Sporties
    I agree have two of them, my favorite yoyo reel.

I'm referring to the market and the potential in sales of the baja special....also I mentioned 40N star not the 2 speed you refer to.
    I think it auto corrected to 40N... yeah it does on my phone just messing with that. 113HNs are just a mean fking reel. In terms of beefiness they are in surpassed... I don’t think a 40N star drag could even come close to the durability and longevity of the 113HNs.

Reactions: Michael Macdonald
    Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    Poor Tunanorth, his head is probably spinning from all these suggestions. I say dump the mags from all new reel designs in the future. That alone will keep prices down. For thouse of you that need mags, educate that thumb and learn to cast.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    Upvote 0

Derekrob

Jul 21, 2015
    Name
    Derekr
    Boat
    None
    A screw in handle knob instead of a riveted one so i can easily upgrade handle knob without resorting to using a dremel or buying a whole handle arm+ knob.
    +1 on a narrower fathom 15. Slightly narrower and slightly taller. Think avet sx or metaloid 5 profile.

Reactions: Jurel Hunter
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Poor Tunanorth, his head is probably spinning from all these suggestions. I say dump the mags from all new reel designs in the future. That alone will keep prices down. For thouse of you that need mags, educate that thumb and learn to cast.

Ha-Ha, don't worry about me.
    Keep it coming!

Upvote 0
    Apr 9, 2019
    La Jolla
    Name
    Pinhead
    Boat
    Sporties
    Ha-Ha, don't worry about me.
    Keep it coming!
    Putting a list together and checking it twice? Lol...

What redoing the Fathom Levelwind series into something else entirely internals. Make a auto engaging clutch, a disengaging levelwind, and making it into essentially a fathom woh a disengaging levelwind. You get the freespool capacity of the fathom SD line, and the levelwind ability of a bait caster, and the ability for quickly engaging the reel. I think it could be the best flyline kelp reel ever.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    I concur with the above post. A 30NLD would be a awesome addition to the Torque line. I have one or two reels of each model in the Torque 2ld series. You need another model so that you can take more of my money.

Upvote 0